#1 DougE

DougE

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:30 PM

Hi all,
I will be spending a week in San Diego in March. I probably will not be getting out of the city much, but may take a trip to La Jola. Just wondering if someone can make some restaurant suggestions for SD.

Thanks,
DougE

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:06 PM

Not sure which part of SD you will be in, but you should be able to find stuff on these lists around town.

http://glutenfreeins...estaurants.html
http://glutenfreeins...mendations.html
http://www.sharp.com...restaurants.cfm

#3 DougE

DougE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:54 AM

Thank-you Skylark. These lists will be a definite help. I will be staying at the Manchester Grand Hyatt which as I understand is quite close to the Gaslamp district. Sometimes I travel with a definite list of restaurants that I will stick to and sometimes I just go and hope I can find a place that is knowledgeable about food sensitivies. CAn you comment on the general sense of awareness of Celiac Disease in the restaurants?

DougE

#4 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:40 PM

It's widely variable. I have had reasonable luck with better restaurants where the chef has culinary school training. It can be really hard when you get into places where half the staff is Mexican and English is their second language. The good news is that there are many restaurants in the Gaslamp so you can move on easily if you get a "gluten, what's that?" answer.

I generally stick to places with a well-defined gluten-free menu because I can get so darned sick if something goes wrong. My backup is generally sushi. You can't walk two blocks without tripping over a sushi joint in San Diego.

#5 DougE

DougE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:13 AM

It's widely variable. I have had reasonable luck with better restaurants where the chef has culinary school training. It can be really hard when you get into places where half the staff is Mexican and English is their second language. The good news is that there are many restaurants in the Gaslamp so you can move on easily if you get a "gluten, what's that?" answer.

I generally stick to places with a well-defined gluten-free menu because I can get so darned sick if something goes wrong. My backup is generally sushi. You can't walk two blocks without tripping over a sushi joint in San Diego.

Thanks again.
Doug

#6 nowheatpete

nowheatpete

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:56 AM

You could also check www.(Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned).com, they should have a few reviews for restaurants in San Diego

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: