Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Severe Gluten Withdrawals

6 posts in this topic

Hi there everyone. I'm new to the forum and also new to the gluten-free diet. I have been gluten and casein free for the past 3 weeks, with a few minor accidents; however, I have been having extreme withdrawal symptoms. I've always had anxiety disroders, but it has dramatically increased since going on a gluten-free diet. I have been nervous with almost no provocation and had multiple panic attacks while just trying to fall asleep! I'be woken up in the middle of the night with the "shakes" and also have been feeling extremely fatigued. My gastrointestinal problems are essentially how they were before I started the diet and I think the fatigue is improving. I was just wondering if these symptoms are normal? And if eating a small amount of teriaki sauce last night by accident(one small sliver of meat basted with it), and accidentally ingesting soy sauce over a week ago will prolong my withdrawals? Thank you.

Ads by Google:

Hi there everyone. I'm new to the forum and also new to the gluten-free diet. I have been gluten and casein free for the past 3 weeks, with a few minor accidents; however, I have been having extreme withdrawal symptoms. I've always had anxiety disroders, but it has dramatically increased since going on a gluten-free diet. I have been nervous with almost no provocation and had multiple panic attacks while just trying to fall asleep! I'be woken up in the middle of the night with the "shakes" and also have been feeling extremely fatigued. My gastrointestinal problems are essentially how they were before I started the diet and I think the fatigue is improving. I was just wondering if these symptoms are normal? And if eating a small amount of teriaki sauce last night by accident(one small sliver of meat basted with it), and accidentally ingesting soy sauce over a week ago will prolong my withdrawals? Thank you.

Hi!

I've been glutenfree for almost three months now and I had similar withdrawal symptoms to your symptoms the first month. I had a lot of panic attacks,freaked out on an airpane and stuff and a burning sensation in my tummy and throat. I've been having the burning sensations on and off since but not very often.I've been very hungry all the time and bloated but its getting better. My heart acted really weird also the first weeks and I even called the hospital on two occasions.

I can't believe how strong the power of gluten is!

Are you extremely hungry too?

Part of it may be a reaction to the gluten you accidently injested. After we go gluten free our reaction to small amounts can be intensified. That is normal as it is your bodies way of telling you that you are doing the right thing and it really doesn't want gluten. If you can go with mostly unprocessed whole naturally gluten free foods that is best for now as it will bring down your chances of accidently getting gluten.

Make sure you have done the things you need to do to degluten your home, a new dedicated toaster, replacing scratched pans, new colander and cutting board and don't bake with flour for others.

It can take a couple of weeks for the withdrawl to be over, take it easy on yourself during this time. A nice hot bath right before bed may help. If you are suffering greatly from lack of sleep perhaps contact your doctor and ask for advice or a short term prescription for something to help. If you do use any OTC or script drugs or supplements do make sure that they are gluten free.

Hi!

I've been glutenfree for almost three months now and I had similar withdrawal symptoms to your symptoms the first month. I had a lot of panic attacks,freaked out on an airpane and stuff and a burning sensation in my tummy and throat. I've been having the burning sensations on and off since but not very often.I've been very hungry all the time and bloated but its getting better. My heart acted really weird also the first weeks and I even called the hospital on two occasions.

I can't believe how strong the power of gluten is!

Are you extremely hungry too?

Hi guys!

I had the SAME symptoms the first few weeks---accelerated anxiety, difficulty sleeping, tummy and throat burning, feeling out of sorts, bloated, heart palps and yes! very hungry!! (which is good, I guess as I could not/did not want to eat much for a long time)....but lots of people on here told me this happens and it will pass. That made me feel a whole lot better.

It is pretty weird, but just proof that the gluten has got to go!

Hang in there. I will too!!:>)

Ginny

multiple panic attacks while just trying to fall asleep! I'be woken up in the middle of the night with the "shakes"

You're describing my exact symptoms during "withdrawal", and that lasted about 3 weeks for me. I know it makes you feel badly and it was definitely a little frightening at times, but it was great comfort to come to this forum and find MANY people who knew exactly what I was going through, and that it was absolutely normal for my body to be reacting that way. Not sure why, but hot showers helped me (perhaps aided in detox, unsure). Just hang on, let your body do its thing, and know that you're not alone.

Wow, thank you so much all of you for the positive and uplifting responses! I hope you're all feeling better from your individual experiences. In addition to my other symptoms, yes, I have been extremely hungry! I'm trying to stay away from processed foods as much as possible it's just very hard when constantly on the go; however, I have been pretty ardent about checking labels and doing research for hidden gluten. I've also been having headaches and weird pupil dilations which I assume is also related tot he fatigue and withdrawals. It helps a lot knowing that I'm not alone. Thanks, hopefully it'll be over soon.