This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

To Trust Or Not To Trust?

BeautifulDay

BeautifulDay Apprentice

So I know the Food for Life company has a sordid reputation following mislabeling of the Sprouted Corn Tortillas, refering to products made with spelt as "wheat alternatives", and a recent recall of the Brown Rice Tortillas in Canada.

I only began eating these tortillas about 3 months ago when I realized I cannot tolerate soy (in any form - lethicin or oil), which nixed the teff tortillas I had been eating at the time. Within the last week, I purchased 3 bags of the Food for Life Brown Rice Tortillas, all of which smelled a tad sour - almost like a wheat pita. I was desperate making my lunch and packed it anyway, despite the smell. Of course, I most definitely got gluten-ed. I opened all three packages, and each smelled sour. Between that and the reaction I had, those puppies went straight in the trash. The experience also led me to do some research, at which point I discovered FFL's sketchy reputation and past and decided they could not be trusted.

ANYWAY, a few of questions for the celiac.com world:

1. I wondered if anyone else has had any problems with this tortillas? Or am I a crazy person??

2. I saw somewhere on the forum that these tortillas are made on shared lines? Does anyone know if that's true?

3. Do you trust companies that have a poor reputation for labeling and/or a history of recalls? After being gluten-ed by one batch of a product that you previously trusted, do you go back to that product later and continue to eat it or do you completely abandon it??

I'm looking forward to your responses, especially in regards to #3! Thanks, everyone!! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ElseB Contributor

Once something is recalled, its banned from my life for good! Food for Life tortillas being one example. I used to eat their tortillas and never had any problems, but I'm one of those Celiacs that doesn't always have a noticable reaction. Once something is recalled, I just don't feel like I can trust the company. But then again, maybe these are the safest companies, if going through a recall makes them implement stricter controls. I don't know. Its a tough call.

T.H. Community Regular

3. Do you trust companies that have a poor reputation for labeling and/or a history of recalls? After being gluten-ed by one batch of a product that you previously trusted, do you go back to that product later and continue to eat it or do you completely abandon it??

To date, I haven't gone back to a company that has a poor reputation or history of recalls, once I know of it. usually, of course, I find out about it because we got sick from it, though. <_< Another type of company I avoid is one who, IMO, have done something that seems more concerned about making money than about helping people stay safe. Like Rice Dream rice milk - they processed their product with barley, and used to list it on the label. But it's not an ingredient (even if it can cause minor cc), it's part of the processing. So they took it off the label; the people who were being extra careful and not spending money on the product seem more important to them than the people who might get sick off their milk, lacking this information. Last I looked, they are still using barley for processing, still not listing it. And they lost business for everyone in my family as a result.

If I'm glutened once, if I'm sure it's the product, I won't eat it again. It's usually so bad that I'm not willing to chance a reaction again.

BeautifulDay Apprentice

Once something is recalled, its banned from my life for good! Food for Life tortillas being one example. I used to eat their tortillas and never had any problems, but I'm one of those Celiacs that doesn't always have a noticable reaction. Once something is recalled, I just don't feel like I can trust the company. But then again, maybe these are the safest companies, if going through a recall makes them implement stricter controls. I don't know. Its a tough call.

Thank you for your thoughts! And I agree that it's a tough call, hence why I asked the question. :) But basically I've realized that when it comes down to it, health - both long-term and short-term, mean more to me than risking a potentially damaging product. I also agree that although some food doesn't always bring a noticeable reaction, it still could be causing damage and contributing to various symptoms!

I think it's amazing to think that I could feel even better than I already do. After 22 years of life believing food meant pain, I am in constant amazement when I find myself feeling better than I ever have! Cutting out products, like those from Food for Life, not only protects me from potential harm, but also takes me to an elevated level of pain-free!

Finally, I believe by NOT buying products from companies such as this proves a point. Each person who does not buy (or coincidentally buys) a product, makes a statement. The statement either condones or protests the product and the company's policies. The more consumers who prove a point by (1) NOT buying a product or (2) buying a product, the more likely (1) a sketchy company will get the point that they're losing business or (2) a trustworthy company realizes they are doing something right with their increased income!

I hope that all these scattered thoughts makes sense :) Thanks again for your thoughts!

BeautifulDay Apprentice

T.H. -- AHH! I had NO idea about Rice Dream! And they although state it right on their website, the box of milk I had in my fridge still says "gluten free". That enrages me. Just because they think the final product is safe, any gluten in the process of making the product can cause one of us sensitive Celiacs to react, and more importantly, puts our health and well-being at risk! Needless to say, I did my research after reading your post, and the remainder of the milk has been dumped out and the box is now in the bottom of the trash can! Thank you so SO much for keying me into this - I'm sure it will save me pain/problems I didn't even know I had!!

I must say, I definitely agree with your insights regarding avoiding products. Thank you for your thoughts and the moral support toward making my life even healthier and happier! :D It's always so wonderful to know there are others out there to whom you can relate. Knowing I'm not the only one who is possibly over-cautious and over-conscientious (but for the overall benefit of my health) bolsters my confidence in making these choices. I always worry that I'm being too-careful if I cut out a product that I'm not sure I had a noticeable reaction to. But at the same time, I think often times I'm having a reaction without even realizing it because I have lived so much of my life in pain. ANYWAY, I sincerely appreciate your information about Rice Dream as well as your thoughts and support regarding trusting/not trusting companies! Take care! :)

nicole356 Rookie

I have not noticed a gluten reaction from these tortillas, but the last 3 times I have

bought them they have been moldy- even though they were frozen?

I wonder if they're not shipping off their freshest products since you also noticed the "funny smell"

IrishHeart Veteran

I read about the Rice Dream too...and after consuming it on a daily basis for a year, thought, NO wonder I still feel like crap.

I have learned several hard lessons about packages/restaurant offerings that say gluten-free but I know darn well an hour later that it is a lie. :angry:

Which leads me to my question. Maybe one of you can tell me? What about EREWHON GLUTEN FREE BROWN RICE CEREAL? I eat it a lot and I wonder...Any one use this product?

Thanks a bunch!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BeautifulDay Apprentice

It is so hard to trust companies and restaurants, especially after we have all been betrayed time and again. . .I guess it's all about weighing the benefits vs. the costs. Is the risk worth it? In my mind, it's often not.

As far as Erewhon Gluten Free Brown Rice Cereal...I've had it and have not had a reaction that I know of. Have you been noticing problems with them??

T.H. Community Regular

Which leads me to my question. Maybe one of you can tell me? What about EREWHON GLUTEN FREE BROWN RICE CEREAL? I eat it a lot and I wonder...Any one use this product?

Thanks a bunch!

I've tried it with my kids and they were kind of iffy during the days we were consuming it, and seemed better off of it. Not a big reaction, though. However, since then, we're starting to suspect that my daughter is one of the celiacs who react to oats, even gluten-free ones, so cross contamination with that might have been an issue for us rather than wheat, rye, or barley, ya know?

IrishHeart Veteran

I have come to the conclusion that I am still so inflamed that I feel as if everything is a problem. It's only been 6 weeks gluten-free. I hope oats are not a problem---I LOVE them and I do eat certified gluten-free oats. sigh...we'll see. Thanks for your thoughts!!!

nkmill97 Newbie

I make quesadillas with the brown rice tortillas a couple times a week and I eat the entire thing without a problem! I have been eating them for about a year and i make a quesadilla with two tortillas and I have not noticed anything. I don't get strong reactions (or at least the ones that I notice) when I eat gluten. They are the one of the best gluten free foods that I have found in my two years of being gluten free so I am going to continue eating them. I'm sorry that you had a bad reaction to these.

GFinDC Veteran

I stick with the Trader Joes' tortillas for the most part. I haven't had a problem with the Food for Life ones, but I figure why take a chance.

finally diagnosed Apprentice

I make quesadillas with the brown rice tortillas a couple times a week and I eat the entire thing without a problem! I have been eating them for about a year and i make a quesadilla with two tortillas and I have not noticed anything. I don't get strong reactions (or at least the ones that I notice) when I eat gluten. They are the one of the best gluten free foods that I have found in my two years of being gluten free so I am going to continue eating them. I'm sorry that you had a bad reaction to these.

I have been eating the brown rice tortillas for the last couple of months..I haven't had a problem w/them. I do keep them frozen and before I make my sandwich at work I zap it in the mirco for about 30 seconds to soften it... I haven't noticed any reaction to these tortillas... sometimes we can eat things that others can't.. for example I would kill for the donuts that kinnick makes tried them x 3 and still can't tolerate it...

Darn210 Enthusiast

I have come to the conclusion that I am still so inflamed that I feel as if everything is a problem. It's only been 6 weeks gluten-free. I hope oats are not a problem---I LOVE them and I do eat certified gluten-free oats. sigh...we'll see. Thanks for your thoughts!!!

IrishHeart . . . some Celiacs can't tolerate oats either (sounds like you may be aware of this) . . . however, to give oats their best chance, you might want to take a break from them for a little while. My daughter's doc recommended the first 6 months gluten free to also not do the oats . . . just to give the gut a chance to heal. . . kind of like the folks that initially have lactose issues.

IrishHeart Veteran

IrishHeart . . . some Celiacs can't tolerate oats either (sounds like you may be aware of this) . . . however, to give oats their best chance, you might want to take a break from them for a little while. My daughter's doc recommended the first 6 months gluten free to also not do the oats . . . just to give the gut a chance to heal. . . kind of like the folks that initially have lactose issues.

Janet,

Thank you for your suggestion! I was hoping the oats were not an issue, but your point is well-taken and I will give them a break. Bummer--I love my oats. No self-respecting Irish lass wouldn't :D .

It is good that your doctor is so helpful. My advice was...don't eat gluten or dairy for 6 months. (really, no kidding, doc!) :rolleyes: That's it.

But that's okay, I've done my homework and I have a cousin-in-law and a niece by marriage (follow that? LOL) w/celiac to go to for help.... and all of you good people on here!!

Appreciate your thoughts!

Archived