5 replies to this topic

#1 bridgetm

bridgetm

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:43 AM

Since around mid-last week, I've been getting my typical lower-left abdominal pain which tells me I need to back off and return to the simple recovery diet. I went back to rice, eggs, bananas, rice cakes, applesauce and toast (usually with butter and occasionally some brown sugar). Yesterday I ate turkey sandwiches for lunch and dinner (I had to work and needed to pack something more filling that rice cakes and applesauce). I was planning to back off this week anyway in preparation for those lovely hormonal fluctuations which tend to knock me flat.

Well, since Saturday or Sunday I've been getting that crampy, bloated pain and had abnormal BMs after eating anything- not D but not quite right. I cut back on the butter, sugar and applesauce in case it was a fat or fructose reaction, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference.

The cramping/bloating was worse yesterday and woke me up early this morning necessitating several trips to the bathroom. Then I started feeling nauseous; slugged down some Pepto and water, fell asleep for about half an hour and then woke up to grab the garbage can. This happened about every 20 minutes for 2 hours. Finally fell asleep around 8 and didn't wake up until 10:30. I've been emailing professors and supervisors for the last hour and have not had to get up again, but I haven't even had any water since I woke up.

Noro-virus has been going around school, along with other flu-like bugs and a number of my friends/classmates have been sick. This feels a bit different from my usual food/hormone episodes in that I'm not achy all over or in a brain fog. My mom told me that the cramping BMs and nausea/vomiting are the signs of noro-virus, but the fact that the pain is in the same exact lower-left area as it is when I have the food reactions has me confused. I am doubtful of CC--I've been prepping my own food and haven't had any problems with these foods in the past (although I've heard from some of you that the Ener-G bread I've been using can cause some symptoms).

I am skipping class and work today in case I am contagious. Whether it's a virus or hormones or food it will be better in a day or two, but each dictates slightly different precautions... How do you narrow it down???

Thanks for the vent-session.

Bridget

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Philippa

Philippa

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:39 AM

It sounds like stomach flu (norovirus) to me. The pain can be in the same place as celiac pain (it isn't always, but it can be). The vomiting you describe sounds more like a virus than gluten. I hope you feel better soon!

#3 bridgetm

bridgetm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:23 PM

It sounds like stomach flu (norovirus) to me. The pain can be in the same place as celiac pain (it isn't always, but it can be). The vomiting you describe sounds more like a virus than gluten. I hope you feel better soon!

Thank you. I did read that pre-existent digestive disorders can actually exasperate flu and other viral symptoms. Considering the number of absences in so many of my classes, I guess it was only a matter of time.

#4 Philippa

Philippa

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:55 AM

Thank you. I did read that pre-existent digestive disorders can actually exasperate flu and other viral symptoms. Considering the number of absences in so many of my classes, I guess it was only a matter of time.

That is interesting about exacerbating it. I have wondered that, because I feel like everyone else in my family tends to get over stomach bugs more quickly and easily than me.

If you find yourself not fully getting over this episode, try probiotics. WHen I had a stomach bug over Christmas they really helped.

#5 bridgetm

bridgetm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:44 AM

That is interesting about exacerbating it. I have wondered that, because I feel like everyone else in my family tends to get over stomach bugs more quickly and easily than me.

If you find yourself not fully getting over this episode, try probiotics. WHen I had a stomach bug over Christmas they really helped.

I've heard a lot of good things about probiotics, but haven't really looked into it for myself. What do you use?

#6 Philippa

Philippa

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:08 PM

I've heard a lot of good things about probiotics, but haven't really looked into it for myself. What do you use?

I use New Roots Acidophilus Ultra. If you do decide to try some, if you can get them from a health food store rather than a drug store, that is better. They should be refridgerated and the drug store ones are not. I think any brand is fine, or just ask the staff to help you--they usually know a lot. Hope you're better soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: