This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Betty Crocker Gluten-Free Devil's Food Mix

Diane-in-FL

Diane-in-FL Explorer

I usually bake from scratch, but wanted to try this product. It is actually very good. Nice to have on hand for a quick snack. You have to keep an eye on it, though, because it took less time to bake than what the instructions say. I wish I had some ice cream to put on it, but I am pretty much snowed in. <_<

• 3 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jesimae Apprentice

I usually bake from scratch, but wanted to try this product. It is actually very good. Nice to have on hand for a quick snack. You have to keep an eye on it, though, because it took less time to bake than what the instructions say. I wish I had some ice cream to put on it, but I am pretty much snowed in. <_<

Thank you for posting this. I wanted to try this the other day, but decided to try it later. Definitely gonna try it now! :D

Roda Rising Star

The devils food is great as is I just don't bake it as long as the directions state. The yellow is so so as is. I thought it to be a little on the dry side and cornbread like texture. I now add 2 oz of softened cream cheese to the batter and it turns out great. I bet sour cream or ricotta would work well too. I made two of the yellow cake with the addition for my youngest son's 6th birthday and the whole thing was gone the next day. My gluten eating husband was the one who put the biggest "dent" in it. :P

larry mac Enthusiast

About yellow cake mixes.

I have a Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake recipe from Thanksgiving (which I haven't made) that uses 1 box yellow cake mix, 1 egg, and 1/2 cup melted butter, mixed well, and patted into the bottom of a prepared 9x13 baking pan, This would be the "crust" I suppose.

Not a gluten-free recipe, but I'm thinking it could be adapted to gluten-free by simply using the Betty Crocker yellow cake mix. Kind of expensive "crust", but most gluten-free products are. I'm also wondering if one could use this for Cheesecakes, pies, etc.?

best regards, lm

Oh btw, the "top" of that recipe is eggs, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, cream cheese, and pumpkin pie filling.

cahill Collaborator

Thanks for posting this ,,Now I want cake :lol: :lol:

tea-and-crumpets Explorer

There's a thread somewhere else about this book, but if you're going to use the BC Cake Mixes, look for The Cake Mix Doctor Bakes Gluten Free. I borrowed a copy from the library and like it enough that I am going to buy my own. I'm pretty sure there's a recipe in there about making a crust with cake mix.

Darn210 Enthusiast

About yellow cake mixes.

I have a Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake recipe from Thanksgiving (which I haven't made) that uses 1 box yellow cake mix, 1 egg, and 1/2 cup melted butter, mixed well, and patted into the bottom of a prepared 9x13 baking pan, This would be the "crust" I suppose.

Not a gluten-free recipe, but I'm thinking it could be adapted to gluten-free by simply using the Betty Crocker yellow cake mix. Kind of expensive "crust", but most gluten-free products are. I'm also wondering if one could use this for Cheesecakes, pies, etc.?

best regards, lm

Oh btw, the "top" of that recipe is eggs, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, cream cheese, and pumpkin pie filling.

larry mac, would you please post the whole recipe . . . either here or start a thread in recipes. My family is all about all things pumpkin.

Regarding the BC cake mixes . . . that yellow cake mix really comes out dry whenever I make it as a cake. When I make cupcakes, they turn out just fine. When I bought the devil's food, I automatically just made cupcakes assuming it would do the same (don't know if it really would or not). I like my "from scratch" recipe better, but sometimes convenience wins out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

The yellow cake mix makes the BEST soft and chewy (not cake like) sugar cookies. They taste like the real deal. The recipe is on the Betty Crocker gluten free page. I have made them a bunch of times. They taste great with Nestle milk choc. chips mixed in too.

Tina B Apprentice

About yellow cake mixes.

best regards, lm

I just crush chex cereal with pecans a a bit of butter in the food processor. Makes a great cheesecake crust.

TB4me2000 Newbie

If you want a seriously sinful cheesecake crust, try using Pamela's dark chocolate choc. chip cookies as the base. Totally to die for...if you're a chocolate lover, of course :P

sa1937 Community Regular

I just crush chex cereal with pecans a a bit of butter in the food processor. Makes a great cheesecake crust.

This sounds great...not to mention that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg!

hnybny91 Rookie

I made these for my daughters 18th birthday (she is gluten free as well.) they were so good my husband and her boyfriend ate most of them!

Tina B Apprentice

This sounds great...not to mention that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg!

Works for any recipe that requires a press in crust. ie:magic bars Open Original Shared Link

sa1937 Community Regular

Works for any recipe that requires a press in crust. ie:magic bars Open Original Shared Link

Thanks! I've been making those Magic Cookie Bars since the 1960's. I gave my DIL my box of graham cracker crumbs when I was first diagnosed. I should surprise her with some of these...I'm sure it will be a surprise, too!

Tina B Apprentice

Thanks! I've been making those Magic Cookie Bars since the 1960's. I gave my DIL my box of graham cracker crumbs when I was first diagnosed. I should surprise her with some of these...I'm sure it will be a surprise, too!

Any gluten free cereal works and crushes nicely in a food processor. I have also thrown in gluten free gingersnaps for a crust for a pumpkin cheesecake and the natures path gluten free honey cornflakes.

larry mac Enthusiast

larry mac, would you please post the whole recipe . . ... My family is all about all things pumpkin......

This is dedicated to the pumpkin family.

Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake

1 (18.25-ounce) box yellow cake mix

1 egg

1 cup butter, melted (divided use)

1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened

3 eggs

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar

1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin pie filling

Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.

Using an electric mixer, combine the cake mix, 1 egg, and 1/2 cup melted butter; mix well. Pat into bottom of prepared pan and set aside.

Still using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth; add the eggs and vanilla. Dump in the sugar and beat well. Reduce the speed of the mixer and add the pumpkin pie filling and the remaining 1/2 cup butter. Mix well. Pour the filling onto the cake mixture and spread evenly. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes; do not overbake. Remove from the oven and let cool completely. Cut into squares. Makes 20 to 24 squares.

Per Serving: Calories, Fat, Cholesterol, Sodium, Fiber, Carbohydrates, Protein. You don't want to know!

Please note. This is a gluten recipe. Adjustments may be needed when converting to gluten-free.

best regards, lm

Darn210 Enthusiast

Per Serving: Calories, Fat, Cholesterol, Sodium, Fiber, Carbohydrates, Protein. You don't want to know!

I hear ya!!! :lol::lol:

Thanks larry mac!!!

larry mac Enthusiast

I actually do have that nutritional info if anyone wants it.

best regards, lm

Archived