Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Poll- How Tall Are You?

58 posts in this topic

I'm 5'6", which is about average for my family. Interestingly, the only other person in my family with a diagnosis is my grandma who is about 4'10".

Ads by Google:

I'm 5' 4", my mother was 5', her mother was 4' 10" and my dad's mother was 5' - I was the giant offspring! My dad was a little taller but not by much, probably 5' 8".

I'm 5'1" but it's totally genetic...my dad is 5'4" and my mom is 5'8"...I'm just a *tiny* person :)

I'm 5'3" 17 years old, diagnosed this year. I think celiacs did stump my gowth, as I was expected to be around 5'6" and I grew like a weed when I was younger.

I am 5'9" and was dx'd at 35. My Dr told me it definitely was triggered after childhood or I wouldn't be this tall.

I've read celiac disease may cause people to be shorter than they otherwise would be. I'm 5 feet tall and wonder if I lost some height because of it. Anyone else feel this way and want to post their height?

I was 5'5" at age 21. At age 64 I'm 5'3.5". I was diagnosed with celiac disease at age 56. I suspect I lost bone during the 20-30 years when I was misdiagnosed with 'IBS', gastritis, etc., before I finally stopped eating gluten (and other diagnosed allergens) and started taking mucho vitamin D and magnesium. (I took calcium during the years before my diagnosis, but w/o vitamin D and magnesium I still lost bone.)

SUE

I've read celiac disease may cause people to be shorter than they otherwise would be. I'm 5 feet tall and wonder if I lost some height because of it. Anyone else feel this way and want to post their height?

I was 5'5" at age 21. At age 64 I'm 5'3.5". I was diagnosed with celiac disease at age 56. I suspect I lost bone during the 20-30 years when I was misdiagnosed with 'IBS', gastritis, etc., before I finally stopped eating gluten (and other diagnosed allergens) and started taking mucho vitamin D and magnesium. (I took calcium during the years before my diagnosis, but w/o vitamin D and magnesium I still lost bone.)

SUE

I have to wonder how many of us who come from 'short' families and are told that since everyone is short it is our 'genes' are actually from family lines that have strong celiac backgrounds. I know in my case I got my celiac associated genes from both sides.

Average height for a female of my generation, but the shortest one in my family. My legs are also pretty long but I'm short in the waist/trunk - this makes some sorts of sports much easier for me in terms of balance, sort of a consolation prize for my neuro damage and bad c- spine. I see pictures of other girls/women riding horses sometimes, and they are struggling for good arm position, and letting them creep up too high, but it's easy for me and my center of gravity is a bit different.

Funny story. I rode this very beautifully balanced, but short backed part Arabian horse for over a decade, who carried his head in a lovely place for his sense of balance, but who had a nice walk and canter but the trot was sort of like a pogo stick. We trained (I say "we," because I used him as the horse to lead the other horse around on for nearly a year before riding him) a much taller horse built like a hot dog - longest horse I've ever been on. When I finally got on, the head looks like it's out there in another city at the end of the neck, and I feel like I'm on an aircraft carrier, but mercifully, this horse is not only smooth at the walk but the other 2 gaits. THIS is where that short waist, long arm/leg ratio really came in handy. A horse also has a center of gravity, and if yours is compatible, it makes it easier to stay on. And this horse is very concerned about staying underneath the rider, so we match wonderfully. Fast forward another 5 years and I finally get to ride a cousin of this taller horse that we had trained. The horse is even bigger. I had been watching, and quizzing the trainer as to what to expect and he says the horse is about average at the walk and trot, not bad for his size. I ride the walk and it's pretty nice, try to get him to go up into a jog, and the horse keeps hesitating. (this is actually good, he's being careful, and I'm in this English saddle) I'm all ready, I've done years of exercises and PT and yoga, been gluten free for awhile, and worked like a dog to be able to ride what I expect to be something like a kangaroo meets the camel, just in case, and this horse....

...breaks into this little bitty tappa tappa western style jog. Like his grandmother horse who is 8" shorter.

I, preparing to post the trot like a rogue wave hitting an aircraft carrier, came up in the stirrups and very nearly launched myself over his head. There is almost no bounce.

I managed to catch myself by grabbing his neck and he stops, like, what is your problem ? I ended up sitting down finally to get him to trot. Dinka dinka dinka. This is no "average." This is better. The trainer was using a completely different scale of what was bouncy ! So I relearned how to sit a jog trot in my late forties, and taught the horse to let me post sometimes if I seemed balanced enough at it. :rolleyes:

The point of this is that gluten intolerance changed my body in ways that I rode completely differently than if I had been a normal person. I would have been trying to muscle everything a lot more, which isn't good, instead of crafting balance.

I'm 40 yo

5'5" now, I was 5'6" when I was 25, but due to osteoporosis from Celiac, I shrunk. :( My bone mass is back to normal so I shouldn't shrink anymore.

I lost a full shoe size also but in my case it was from getting rid of full body edema. I now wear the same shoe and clothing size I did in my teens.

My feet got bigger, but I suspect that has more to do with pregnancy than celiac lol

I'm 5'4' and happy with that! I think we are all different.....

My feet got bigger, but I suspect that has more to do with pregnancy than celiac lol

How are you..been thinking about you!

5'1-1/2" and probably will be shrinking at some point.....

I'm six feet tall (2nd tallest in the family- oldest brother is taller. yes, I am taller than both my parents, and other older brother (yes, I'm the youngest & only girl-- yes, my brothers teased me a lot- & yes, I learned fast how to tease right back as best I could!)

I am self- diagnosed, so don't formally know if I have gluten intolerance or celiac. I am the only one in my family who is gluten- free (altough I suspect it would one or two of my family members if they went gluten-free).

My husband is 5 ft 1 inch--- he doesn't have gluten issues, but we very much suspect/ believe that his short stature is due to the extreme stress his disability (Spastic Cerebral Palsy) put on his body. I have yet to meet anyone who has CP and has more than just a mild case who isn't on the shorter side (come to think of it, i've met one person... but that's out of 20+ CPer's I know). To me, that's proof positive that any type of stressor on the body (be it celiac or a physical disability) can inhibit growth.

Was 5'6", but lost an 1/2 inch in the last year. I"m the shortest in my family. My sister is being tested now and she is 5'8".

My 3 kids are also being tested:

Oldest: 12 is 5'9.5"

Middle: 10 is 4'10"

Youngest: 9 is 4'2" (she is the one we think is positve)

I am 5'0 and gluten intolerant.

How are you..been thinking about you!

I'm doing well! 7 weeks pregnant and my husband just left for training for a month :( but the kid and I are hanging on! Right now I have the flu (lame) and am trying to kick that, but aside from that we're great!!!

How have you (and everyone else) been?

5'7" - shrunk 3/4 of an inch. Self-diagnosed 3 years ago.

Hey! Me too! I'm not as tall as I used to be! Same thing - 5'7" but shrunk between 1/2 & 3/4 of an inch. My parents did the same thing - I think it's aging! :blink:

FooGirlsMom

I have to wonder how many of us who come from 'short' families and are told that since everyone is short it is our 'genes' are actually from family lines that have strong celiac backgrounds. I know in my case I got my celiac associated genes from both sides.

I'm mostly self-diagnosed so I have no idea of my genes or my families but both sides are extremely short.

My mom has horrible stomach problems, my whole life she's ran to the bathroom after each meal and she has osteoporosis. All her cousins and sisters have "IBS" or Diverticulitis. Her sister has suffered RA since she was in her 30s, has chronic anemia (needs transfusions), diabetic, and now her potassium is askew. (I've tried to get her on the diet!). Another cousin has MS.

My dad's mother had a bout with colon cancer is her 60s. Later died from stomach and liver cancer in her 90s. Otherwise not a lot of autoimmune problems I can see. However my grandmother and my dad were the only short ones in his family. Everyone else is average height.

5'9 but considered the runt of my immediate family. In fact, I have a family photo taken at the grand canyon and it looks like I was standing in a hole next to my siblings. :blink:

5'7" and I was diagnosed just a few months ago. I was always a short child till about age 15. I would think bone loss/osteopenia/etc could be responsible for some people not reaching their full potential of height.

I'm 5'5" and have size ten feet. I assume my growth was stunted, because otherwise my feet would be more in proportion to my height.

This is one of my sore subjects, as it might be for others.

I'm 5'3". My mom is 5'1" and my dad 6'4" and I have two brothers over 6'.

My hubby is 6'1".

When my DS was 5'3" and 15, three docs told us that he was "destined" to be short because I was. I was trying to get a celiac diagnosis for him and they said no, no celiac. Just dairy-intolerant. Now, this was a 15yo boy with a "zero" level of testosterone (not normal) and a bone-age of 12.5 (again, not normal). When I pointed out that I was probably short because of undiagnosed celiac and that DH's dad was 6'1" they ignored me. He was also sick all the time and was always missing school.

DS went gluten-free at 15 and is almost 18 and now 6'2" and still growing so he's taller than his dad. I have a hard time not being obnoxious with the docs (mainly his pediatrician) to say "told you so!" I can never prove that going gluten-free caused him to grow but I am very happy that we caught him when he still had time to grow.

I still don't know which side I got celiac from, as neither has had genes tested. My dad thinks he has it but my mom has had such stomach issues that I think she might have it too, although both have tested negative. One brother (6') tested negative but went gluten-free and is a convert. Another brother (5'5") is a doctor but he won't get tested because he doesn't have any "textbook" symptoms.