57 replies to this topic

#16 notme!

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:48 PM

5'8" at the last check - anybody's shoe size shrink?? i used to wear a solid 9 sometimes 9 1/2. now i am 8 1/2, sometimes 8?? maybe i should double check my height.....

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:47 AM

I'm 5'8-1/2", and I was diagnosed at 47. My son, who was diagnosed at almost 16, was supposed to end up between 6'5" and 6'8", but his celiac was triggered when he was 11. He began to lose ground with his height--he was usually the tallest in his grade, but by the end of 8th grade, he was not even one of the tallest in his class. He ended up at 6'3-1/2". I think celiac definitely affected his adolescent growth.

#18 Haylsinator

Haylsinator

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:34 AM

I'm 4'11". My mom is 5'3" and dad is 5'6". Sister is 5'2". All are non-celiac. My brother, who I suspect may have celiac, is 5'10".
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by blood test: late November 2008

Consciously Gluten Free starting end of November 2008

#19 lynnelise

lynnelise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:23 AM

I'm 4'11. My mom used to be 4'10 but she's got osteoporosis and has shrunk a bit! My dad is only around 5'6. I had stomach problems my whole life but only figured out the gluten connection a year and half ago!

My daughter made it to 5'3 (her dad is 6'3) but at 15 she seems to have stopped growing. I suspect she has celiac but her bloodwork was negative and she refuses to try the diet! (Teenagers! <_< )

#20 K8ling

K8ling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:24 AM

6'1" and I am the short one in my family. My dad has celiac as well and he is 6'4".
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

#21 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:28 AM

I'm 5'7" but I think my height is pretty normal considering the rest of my family. I am the shortest one though. Not that 5'7" is short by any means. My 7 year old however is TINY and always has been. (She's been gluten/dairy/corn free since October) Until I realized what was going on I was completely flummoxed because of my height and my husband is 6'2". Now it kind of makes sense and it might just be my imagination, but I feel like she might be starting to catch up a little.

#22 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,768 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:53 AM

I'm 5'2" doctors told my mom when I was two that I would be 5'8". Some sort of calculation they do with thigh bones. I have very long legs but a shortened trunk. My son is 5', he became celiac in infancy and has shortened thigh and upper arm bones, my DD is 5'4" she was hit with celiac as an early teen, we were told she would be tall but stopped growing at around 12 or so but has normal proportions. My Mom was 4'11", size 2 shoe as an adult. She, like myself, became celiac in childhood when DH appeared.
I think how much impact celiac has on your height depends on when it was triggered. Those who are triggered later in life have a better chance of fulfilling their growth.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#23 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:54 AM

5'5. I have an aunt who I strongly suspect has celiac who has lost a lot of height, she can't really stand straight anymore. Sadly she will never change her diet.
If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

#24 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,768 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:56 AM

5'8" at the last check - anybody's shoe size shrink?? i used to wear a solid 9 sometimes 9 1/2. now i am 8 1/2, sometimes 8?? maybe i should double check my height.....

I lost a full shoe size also but in my case it was from getting rid of full body edema. I now wear the same shoe and clothing size I did in my teens.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#25 Googles

Googles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:05 AM

I'm 5'7" and the shortest in my immediate family. :( Wish I was taller.

#26 summerteeth

summerteeth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:56 AM

I'm 5'6", which is about average for my family. Interestingly, the only other person in my family with a diagnosis is my grandma who is about 4'10".
Monica

dx celiac disease- November 1, 2008
dairy/casein free (much to my chagrin) for good- September 1, 2010

#27 BethJ

BethJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:12 AM

I'm 5' 4", my mother was 5', her mother was 4' 10" and my dad's mother was 5' - I was the giant offspring! My dad was a little taller but not by much, probably 5' 8".
Beth in Florida

Gluten-free since 7/19/08
Alcohol free since 6/28/10

#28 sunnybabi1986

sunnybabi1986

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:18 AM

I'm 5'1" but it's totally genetic...my dad is 5'4" and my mom is 5'8"...I'm just a *tiny* person :)
Gluten Free since October 2009

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" - Milton Berle

"Life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it."--Lou Holtz

#29 Free_CountryGirl

Free_CountryGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:04 AM

I'm 5'3" 17 years old, diagnosed this year. I think celiacs did stump my gowth, as I was expected to be around 5'6" and I grew like a weed when I was younger.
"Lord make me a rainbow, Iíll shine down on my mother
She'll know Iím safe with you when she stands under my colors, oh and Life ain't always what you think it ought to be, no"

"If you are going through hell, keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Tired of such limited food options? Think about your pets. They eat the same food every single day of their lives! So suck it up.

#30 SaraKat

SaraKat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:06 AM

I am 5'9" and was dx'd at 35. My Dr told me it definitely was triggered after childhood or I wouldn't be this tall.
Positive TTG IGA blood test 8/13/10
Endoscopy confirmed 8/31/10
Started gluten-free diet 9/1/10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: