This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Going Gluten Free Stop The Pre-Term Labor?

Asianmom

Asianmom Newbie

I wanted to see if anyone had experience with this at all. I was diagnosed many, many years ago with Celiac and had a lot of issues as a child for 10 years before finally being diagnoses. I got pregnant with my first son right away and thought that I could eat gluten again. Seemed to do just fine. I had TONS of preterm labor with him from 24 weeks on, was on bedrest and pumps to stop the labor. I delivered a healthy baby boy at 38 1/2 weeks. I still continued to eat gluten (because I am dumb and thought I wasn't having any symptoms) when I got pregnant with my second son. Again, pre-term labor starting at 19 weeks, bedrest right away, meds etc. Delivered a healthy baby boy at 37 weeks. I have NO idea why I didn't make the connection. I found out my older son has celiac so the whole house is now gluten free (I think my younger son has it too), and now I am a VERY sensitive celiac. Does anyone have experience with having a child on gluten the first time and having all these preterm labor issues, and then going gluten free with another child and not having the same issues?

I am only 8 weeks pregnant and am hopeful for a different type of pregnancy. I am looking any feedback as to if you had the same type of symptoms after going gluten free or if your next pregnancies were easier? I find I am WAY more nauseas this time around, but am so early yet.

THANKS!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

The antibodies a celiac produces to wheat ( and his/her own intestines) also attack the placenta. This is one reason that untreated celiac disease is linked to preterm labor.

Asianmom Newbie

Tarnalberry-THANK YOU! I have done some research on the topic, as I love to research science, but I had not found the exact reasoning for the preterm labor, other than malabsorption. So am I to assume if you have been gluten free for a while before you become pregnant again, this could change the preterm labor issues? How long do you need to be gluten free before your body completely heals? It has been almost a year since before I conceived, and I am mad I was gluten free for so long before my first son.

THANKS AGAIN! :D

K8ling Enthusiast

I'm not sure but I'll let you know if I make it full term this time around! My son was an emergency induction at 36 weeks but I had early labor before that. Hopefully I'll make it full term, especially since my husband will be deployed and I'll have to call the inlaws in LOL

Asianmom Newbie

K8ling-CONGRATULTIONS! How far along are you now? Have you had any preterm labor issues this time? I am assuming you are gluten free now, right? Oh no....calling in the inlaws...good luck with that...sounds like you might need it ;) When did your preterm labor start the first time?

THANKS!

K8ling Enthusiast

Hey! Thanks!! I am 7 weeks tomorrow and I am VEEEERY sick which is great. So far no preterm anything so far! I am totally gluten-free now and so is my toddler to minimize cc.

I'll keep you guys posted!!

kareng Grand Master

Hey! Thanks!! I am 7 weeks tomorrow and I am VEEEERY sick which is great. So far no preterm anything so far! I am totally gluten-free now and so is my toddler to minimize cc.

I'll keep you guys posted!!

I know! Medical stuff says that morning, afternoon and evening sickness means a strong pregnancy. Why can't clear skin, lustrous hair and extra energy be a sign of a good pregnancy?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

K8ling Enthusiast

Oh goodness, right??? I am breaking out so badly, and I have a pale green pallor. My husband says I am beautiful but I suspect that he is honor bound to say that XD

Archived