This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tests Are Negative

possiblyglutensensitive

possiblyglutensensitive Explorer

I called my doctor and received the news:

anti gliadin (which I didn't know she tested for) is NEGATIVE

tTG (anti transglutaminase) is NEGATIVE

I don't get it. why is my nausea gone and neck and shoulder pain so much improved?

Am I crazy?

could the tests be wrong? Is it that there are many proteins in the "gluten" family and gliadin is just one of them and in fact I very well COULD be gluten intolerant, at the very least (even if not celiac)?

Does that result mean I can relax and not be so worried about cross contamination if I eat out? I'm going on a trip and have been really worried about the food at the hotel. Should I stop worrying about it?

Should I stay gluten free? What should i tell my family and friends???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

I would think it means you are non-celiac gluten intolerant. Here is some reading for you:

https://www.celiac.com/articles/1101/1/Gluten-Sensitivity-A-Gastroenterologists-Personal-Journey-Down-the-Gluten-Rabbit-Hole-by-Dr-Scot-Lewey/Page1.html

Open Original Shared Link

ravenwoodglass Mentor

If your feeling better gluten free then it is because you need to be gluten free. Whether you are celiac or gluten intolerant you need to be just as strict. My tests were all negative also and many doctors went by those results as I get sicker and sicker. Because of false negative tests and doctors taking the tests as proof positive my diagnosis was delayed for many many years. Go by what your gut is literally telling you.

cassP Contributor

nonceliac gluten intolerance sounds about right.

also- from what ive read-> wheat has more different protein chains than the human body- that is INSANE- no wonder we cant digest it. and yes, gliadin is only one of them- but i think scientists have determined that this one is the most problematic. but there's also Wheat Germ Agglutin- which aggravates the digestive tract as well, and in particular aggravates Grave's antibodies. WGA can also trigger celiac, lead to Barrett's Esophagus, and speed up prostate cancer.

also- a light bulb went off when you said "nausea & shoulder neck pain"- both of these are signals of a congested gall bladder. and gall bladder issues are ALSO common in people with Gluten Intolerance. of course other things can cause gall bladder issues- but i have done liver flushes before and purged hundreds of gall stones... and my mother currently is having gall bladder flair ups. i keep reminding her how much gluten can lead to this.. but i dont think she's ready to give it up. i also got her to buy a tincture which ive taken before too for the gall bladder (gold coin grass). i got it at www.sensiblehealth.com

hope you come to your own conclusions and feel better!

:)

Marz Enthusiast

Hello and welcome :)

I'd say stay on the diet and see how it goes. Do try to stay away from CC as much as you can. What you can do after a few weeks if you're still not sure, is do a gluten challenge - eat plain wheat 3 times a day for a week or two. If the symptoms come back with a vengence (or new ones, like fatigue, d, pain, depression etc), you're gluten-intolerant :)

There are many symptoms of gluten-intolerance, nausea is definitely one of them (I had constant nausea/nausea after eating, went away after going gluten-free). So is joint pain (flares up whenever I get CC'd).

If you read around on these forums, lots of people had negative tests, and found major relief from their symptoms going gluten-free. The "celiac" condition is the very tip of the iceberg of gluten intolerance, and is a highly specific reaction to only 1 type of wheat protein in the gut. Dermatitis Herpetiformis is another specific reaction to gluten in the skin. Other people suffer from mainly neurological damage. Medical science has only developed a handful of blood tests, to the most common reactions, but I'm sure there's still many reactions they haven't discovered yet and are passing through the current blood test panel. That's just my take on the problem :)

Good luck with travelling and staying gluten-free!

possiblyglutensensitive Explorer

I have decided to stay gluten-free even with negative test results.

I feel this is the best thing for me.

I have contacted the hotel where I will be staying and they will accomodate gluten-free for me. So people can be really understanding!

Jill0711 Rookie

I just wanted to add my two cents :) I have been recently diagnosed via biopsy. My bloodwork was negative, but the biopsy was positive. I'm living proof that you can have negative bloodwork, but still have Celiac Disease. There is a percentage of people who will always have negative bloodwork even with active Celiac. Like others have said, if you are feeling better then go with that regardless of the testing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Hello and welcome :)

I'd say stay on the diet and see how it goes. Do try to stay away from CC as much as you can. What you can do after a few weeks if you're still not sure, is do a gluten challenge - eat plain wheat 3 times a day for a week or two. If the symptoms come back with a vengence (or new ones, like fatigue, d, pain, depression etc), you're gluten-intolerant :)

There are many symptoms of gluten-intolerance, nausea is definitely one of them (I had constant nausea/nausea after eating, went away after going gluten-free). So is joint pain (flares up whenever I get CC'd).

If you read around on these forums, lots of people had negative tests, and found major relief from their symptoms going gluten-free. The "celiac" condition is the very tip of the iceberg of gluten intolerance, and is a highly specific reaction to only 1 type of wheat protein in the gut. Dermatitis Herpetiformis is another specific reaction to gluten in the skin. Other people suffer from mainly neurological damage. Medical science has only developed a handful of blood tests, to the most common reactions, but I'm sure there's still many reactions they haven't discovered yet and are passing through the current blood test panel. That's just my take on the problem :)

Good luck with travelling and staying gluten-free!

Off Topic but Marz that is the cutest kitten picture I have seen in a long time.

HMReiss Newbie

I have had a rough two years, I had 1/4 of my lung removed because of a tumor, all my hair fell out, severe tendonitis, nausea, anemia, B12 deficient..... My friend suggested two months ago that I was celiac and all my symptoms (including life long bipolar) matched so I went gluten free. Within a week my eyebrow started coming back, bipolar gone and I felt 100 times better. My army of doctors were skeptical but I insisted we test. My blood work came back negative, but I had a speckled ANA so they suggested Lupus. I insisted on an endoscopy, sure enough I have extreme celiac, that is now showing some improvement after being gluten-free for 2 months. I am going to get another endoscopy in 6 months and a bone density test to see how bad it is.

You may not be celiac but if you feel better go with it. I learned something along the way when people wouldn't believe that I was sick or a doctor would dismiss me. You are the only one who can judge how you feel, doctors treat symptoms not patients. Good luck!

IrishHeart Veteran

I have decided to stay gluten-free even with negative test results.

I feel this is the best thing for me.

I have contacted the hotel where I will be staying and they will accomodate gluten-free for me. So people can be really understanding!

I tested NEG, too..but remained very sick and in pain for years. Go with your instincts! Tests can be wrong/inaccurate (even my PC doctor said this! Imagine that.) LOL

Yes, people are much more savvy about food sensitivities now and will often accomodate those of us who need it. One chef came out to meet me because his son has a severe allergy to peanuts and he assured me he would be very careful preparing my gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free dinner. I was so touched by his kindness, I gave him a hug. :)

cassP Contributor

I have had a rough two years, I had 1/4 of my lung removed because of a tumor, all my hair fell out, severe tendonitis, nausea, anemia, B12 deficient..... My friend suggested two months ago that I was celiac and all my symptoms (including life long bipolar) matched so I went gluten free. Within a week my eyebrow started coming back, bipolar gone and I felt 100 times better. My army of doctors were skeptical but I insisted we test. My blood work came back negative, but I had a speckled ANA so they suggested Lupus. I insisted on an endoscopy, sure enough I have extreme celiac, that is now showing some improvement after being gluten-free for 2 months. I am going to get another endoscopy in 6 months and a bone density test to see how bad it is.

You may not be celiac but if you feel better go with it. I learned something along the way when people wouldn't believe that I was sick or a doctor would dismiss me. You are the only one who can judge how you feel, doctors treat symptoms not patients. Good luck!

GOOD for u for being so persistent!!!!! i dont know why it has to be such a battle sometimes- but we really to have to be our own advocate!!!! happy you stood up for yourself, and hope you're feeling better and better

IrishHeart Veteran

GOOD for u for being so persistent!!!!! i dont know why it has to be such a battle sometimes- but we really to have to be our own advocate!!!! happy you stood up for yourself, and hope you're feeling better and better

Amen,sister!!

If I were not my own best advocate, I think I'd either be in a wheelchair or mental health ward by now. Seriously, it was that bad.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Welcome to the board. Glad your feeling better. It can be amazing how much the diet can help and how few doctors know how often the tests are a false negative. It's wonderful to hear you are getting your health back.

Archived