Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Question Of Best Flour For Recipe

10 posts in this topic

First let me say I'm terrible in the kitchen but I'm trying!

I have a recipe that uses butter, brown sugar, vanilla, eggs, baking powder, salt, white chocolate chips and shredded coconut. I made this before I knew I should be gluten-free and it was GREAT. It calls for 2 1/4 cups All Purpose Flour. Was wondering what you guys thought would be the right gluten-free Flour. I was going to use Bob's All Purpose but read it has a pretty strong bean smell/taste?

I also have to watch my oxalates so Buckwheat would be no good. I think Tapioca and Potato Starch have acceptable oxalate levels used in small amounts. I would really like to try Bob's but read so many bad things. I have a very sensitive sense of smell and taste. Thanks!

L

Ads by Google:

I have not had any success with bobs red mill. If gives a very griitty taste. My personal preference for the rice flours is authentic foods which I mix with ENERG brand tapioca and potato starch. Authentic foods is not sold in many places. If I could only choose from my local grocer I would pick gluten free pantry flour before Bobs red Mill.

So you're saying you mix brown rice flour by Authentic foods with tapioca and potato starch? What would the amounts be of each?

This is Annalise Roberts blend from her wonderful cookbook ( everyone should have it) 2c.authenic brown rice flour, 2/3 c. potato starch ( notPotato flour),, 1/3 c. tapioca flouryou would have to add Guar Gum or Xanthan gum. Again the best cookbook...

I have a recipe that uses butter, brown sugar, vanilla, eggs, baking powder, salt, white chocolate chips and shredded coconut. I made this before I knew I should be gluten-free and it was GREAT. It calls for 2 1/4 cups All Purpose Flour. Was wondering what you guys thought would be the right gluten-free Flour. I was going to use Bob's All Purpose but read it has a pretty strong bean smell/taste?

I also have to watch my oxalates so Buckwheat would be no good. I think Tapioca and Potato Starch have acceptable oxalate levels used in small amounts. I would really like to try Bob's but read so many bad things. I have a very sensitive sense of smell and taste. Thanks!

L

I have used King arthur blend flour as a good substitute for basic PButter and sugar cookie recipes. You will need to add xantham or guar gum. I am finding guar gum to be less crumbly .

This is Annalise Roberts blend from her wonderful cookbook ( everyone should have it) 2c.authenic brown rice flour, 2/3 c. potato starch ( notPotato flour),, 1/3 c. tapioca flouryou would have to add Guar Gum or Xanthan gum. Again the best cookbook...

Thanks guys! So 2 cups authentic brown rice flour, 2/3 cup ptoato starch, 1/3 cup tapioca flour and then how much Guar or Xanthan? Again I'm terrible in the kitchen. This is all new to me!

Or King's

One teaspoon of xanthan gum per cup of gluten free flour.

2 cups br rice

2/3 cup potato starch

1/3 cup tapioca starch/flour (they are the same thing in tapioca)

that is 3 three cups. therefore 3 teaspoons. mix well. measure out amount for recipe. put leftover in ziplock bag, label with ingredients and date, store in refrigerator for next adventure.

if you just wanted to use enough to make the recipe, 2 and a 1/4 cups, it would be

1.5 cups brown rice flour

.5 cup (half) cup potato starch

.25 cup (quarter) cup tapioca starch

about two teaspoons of xanthan gum, and maybe a pinch or a quarter teaspoon more, such as making one of the teaspoons rounder.

Other types of gluten free flours or meals may take less xanthan gum than those with a lot of rice flour (example,sometimes I post recipes that don't use any)

oh wow, thanks so much! I'm writing it down now.

L

L

There are several acceptable blends of flour out there to try - it will be cheaper for you starting out to just buy a blend than go hunt out and purchase all the specialty flours. I am fond of:

Gluten Free Mamas Coconut Blend for cookies and desserts.

http://www.glutenfreemama.com/sales.htm

She has an Almond Flour Blend for regular baking that does wonders too.

I also like Better Batters Gluten Free Flour Blend

http://shop.betterbatter.org/

Very low maintenance for recipes you are trying to convert.

I am not a huge fan of gluten-free pantry or Bob Red Mill's gluten-free All-purpose flour

I've had success subbing rice flour in every recipe I have tried so far..I'm the type of cook who doesn't measure, but know if it's right by if it "feels" right haha. Any recipe that calls for flour I use half brown, half white, and add a tbsp of potato starch OR tsp of xanthan gum, depending on how "sticky" I think the product will be. For breads I use xanthan gum, for brownies I use potato starch.

Not the easiest way of going about it for some but I have yet to have a cooking disaster..knock wood.. :P