9 replies to this topic

#1 salexander421

salexander421

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:13 AM

Would seeing a doctor of internal medicine be just as good as seeing a GI? Would an internal medicine doctor possibly be more familiar with celiac disease?
Proud breastfeeding, toddlerwearing, part time cosleeping, stay at home mom. Positive for two copies of DQ8, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge; biopsy showed gastritis, inflammation in the esophagus, and hiatial hernia but no signs of celiac. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/11/2011

ODD 3 1/2, positive for DQ8 and DQ6, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

YDD 2, no testing. Positive for DQ8 and DQ6. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:15 PM

Don't ask me because I'm jaundiced. If the Gi"s don't know much, and they are the ones who do the scopes for it, what will an internist know? :P Hypothetical question :rolleyes:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:01 PM

Would seeing a doctor of internal medicine be just as good as seeing a GI? Would an internal medicine doctor possibly be more familiar with celiac disease?

There are always exceptions but the Internists I've seen really have no idea about Celiac. They have always suggested that I see a Gastroenterologist when I begin asking questions.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 meme2kids

meme2kids

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:35 PM

My internist is the one who suggested it. I had been to GI's and all they told me was my intestines was inflammed. My interenist ran the blood tests, found me a GI who would listen to me.

The 3 of us worked together to find the answer.

Now I love the both, my GI has been supportive since the test results, found me a support group, is talking to my children peds dr and set me on a direction to find what I can eat, instead of what I can not eat.

BUT it took an internist to put all the pieces together.

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:41 PM

I would ask an internist or your GP to run a full celiac panel. It couldn't hurt and you wouldn't need a referral. Then if you feel that you really need to see a GI for biopsy ask to see one. If your blood tests are positive some doctors now skip the biopsy and just diagnose since the biopsy has a fairly high rate of false negatives. Be aware that the blood tests can be a false negative also.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 SaraKat

SaraKat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:00 PM

A rheumatologist ran my celiac panel which was positive and then referred me to a GI Dr. I have been seeing him since. He did the endoscopy and I have my follow up blood test with him in a few weeks. I was wondering the same thing though- he told me it is just blood tests from now on, so I am thinking I could just go to my regular Dr. My GI seems pretty well versed in celiac though, I guess I will wait to see how my blood test came back. If it is good I won't worry too much, but if it is bad I might need further guidance with the diet.

I guess go to whoever you feel is more up on the disease?
Positive TTG IGA blood test 8/13/10
Endoscopy confirmed 8/31/10
Started gluten-free diet 9/1/10

#7 salexander421

salexander421

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:40 PM

Thanks everyone! I was looking at a list of GI's on the website of a local celiac support group and noticed one of them was actually a doctor of internal medicine and that's what got me wondering. I've already seen one GI and it wasn't the best experience so I'm thinking maybe I should try the internist...but it looks like it just depends on the person. Thanks!
Proud breastfeeding, toddlerwearing, part time cosleeping, stay at home mom. Positive for two copies of DQ8, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge; biopsy showed gastritis, inflammation in the esophagus, and hiatial hernia but no signs of celiac. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/11/2011

ODD 3 1/2, positive for DQ8 and DQ6, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

YDD 2, no testing. Positive for DQ8 and DQ6. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

#8 salexander421

salexander421

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:59 PM

A rheumatologist ran my celiac panel which was positive and then referred me to a GI Dr. I have been seeing him since. He did the endoscopy and I have my follow up blood test with him in a few weeks. I was wondering the same thing though- he told me it is just blood tests from now on, so I am thinking I could just go to my regular Dr. My GI seems pretty well versed in celiac though, I guess I will wait to see how my blood test came back. If it is good I won't worry too much, but if it is bad I might need further guidance with the diet.

I guess go to whoever you feel is more up on the disease?

Would a rheumatologist be even better since they deal with the immune system??

#9 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:36 PM

Would a rheumatologist be even better since they deal with the immune system??

It depends on the rheumatologist. My U.S. rheumatologist sees no relationship between arthritis/autoimmune/celiac :o
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:00 AM

It depends on the rheumatologist. My U.S. rheumatologist sees no relationship between arthritis/autoimmune/celiac :o

Mine didn't either just wanted to give me shots in the joints, send me to a pain clinic to 'learn to live with the pain' and prescribe pill after pill, some of which were later removed from the market. My arthritis has been in remission since a couple months after I started the diet.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: