Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Gluten Challenge (After Being Gluten Free For 2 Years)

• Please log in to reply

6 replies to this topic

#1 nutbutters

nutbutters

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:07 AM

Hello, I was previously diagnosed with celiac disease based on mild indicators on blood tests. My doctor asked me to immediately start the diet since I wasn't absorbing any of the food I was eating and he did not want to risk it. I was severely underweight. Anyway, I went to a gastroenterologist this year who requested, begged, that I get the biopsy done just to make sure I was properly diagnosed. Well, I started the "gluten rich" diet the day he asked me to, three weeks ago, for a February 25th biopsy. I'm 22 years old, teaching full time, so it's sort of a strain sometimes. Well, I started the diet the same day I started my period (it was regulated, on birth control). I'm severely anemic so I was on birth control to regulate and shorten my period, but after I started the diet, I thought my period really exaggerated itself. I was convinced I was on my period for the entire time, but I stopped bleeding last night and wasn't bleeding when I woke up this morning. After a bowel movement this morning, my "period" seemed to have returned. I realized it was coming from somewhere on my backside (can't specify because I don't know). There is no pain but I bleed all day, like it's a period. It's not heavy at all, and at most, it fills, altogether, one regular pad after a day. At first I just thought it was my period giving me a normal complication (I often have had problems with it), but I stopped the birth control because I thought that was contributing, and I realized it was rectal bleeding. It's not painful at all, but I'm a bit concerned. It had been two years since I'd consumed even the smallest bit of gluten, and now I've been bleeding from my rectum/eating gluten for three weeks! I called my GI but he's closed so he's going to see me Tuesday. What could this be? My BMs are not painful, I don't strain at all, I really have no pain, the only pain I ever have is after consuming milk or wheat, a stomach ache, but nothing during the BM. Could it be hemorrhoids? Could it be something else? I'm just really frustrated and want to stop eating gluten...now.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:19 AM

I'm a little confused about that doc. If you are well healed, why is he asking you to hurt yourself and cause damage? Just because he makes a good profit on endos and colonoscopies, doesn't make it right. His oath says something like " Do no harm".

Would you say to a well controlled diabetic, " your blood sugars have been stable for years on insulin. Let's take you off. Eat all the sugar/ carbs you want until you go into a diabetic coma. Then we will know we are on the right treatment."

Time to get a new GI.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 nutbutters

nutbutters

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:30 AM

I'm a little confused about that doc. If you are well healed, why is he asking you to hurt yourself and cause damage? Just because he makes a good profit on endos and colonoscopies, doesn't make it right. His oath says something like " Do no harm".

Would you say to a well controlled diabetic, " your blood sugars have been stable for years on insulin. Let's take you off. Eat all the sugar/ carbs you want until you go into a diabetic coma. Then we will know we are on the right treatment."

Time to get a new GI.

He wants to diagnose via biopsy, so he's asking me to do it again. A pain, a really big pain.

#4 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:47 PM

I think I'd tell him exactly what he could do with that scope!
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:35 PM

He wants to diagnose via biopsy, so he's asking me to do it again. A pain, a really big pain.

Three weeks on gluten is likely not long enough for a postive biopsy after you have been healed for as long as you have. You would need to continue on gluten for at least 3 months. There is no reason, other than to line the doctors pockets, for you to continue the challenge now that you are clearly reacting. Your in pain, your bleeding. That is a good reason to stop the challenge now. The challenge is positive and you don't have to prove anything to this doctor.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:40 PM

Three weeks on gluten is likely not long enough for a postive biopsy after you have been healed for as long as you have. You would need to continue on gluten for at least 3 months. There is no reason, other than to line the doctors pockets, for you to continue the challenge now that you are clearly reacting. Your in pain, your bleeding. Your challenge is positive and you don't have to prove anything to this doctor.

Exactly!

He wants to biopsy you? So what! I want to slap him! Should I? No. Just cause needless suffering and pain.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#7 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:49 AM

I would be going to the hospital for that mate. rectal bleeding can be dangerous.
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: