Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Wasn't Thinking...

9 posts in this topic

A few days ago I put gas in the car then thought it would save time to stop at the bakery for a coffee for my husband. Did not eat or buy any gluten products.

Later on I had a most unpleasant gastrointestinal experience. could not figure it out I was thinking about it today- could inhaleing the bakery air cause diarrhea?

Ads by Google:

Anh...some people might react, but I would be surprised if you could get glutened in the time you need to buy a coffee.

I react when I am in places with flour floating around and then breathe it in.

Could it have been any other possibility? Makeup or other products, etc?

Maybe if you touched everything in there and then ate your own food with glutened fingers? Or maybe if they were mixing flour at the time?

Wait...was this an actual bakery? Not like a coffee shop? I suppose then every surface could be coated with a fine mist of flour....hahaha, do it again next week and see what happens!

Merika

(perverse sense of humor at the moment :unsure: )

Hi Zmo,

actually believe it or not, some coffee contains gluten. Did you use any creamer or get the coffee out of a machine, like a mocha or something? Hope you feel better soon,

Wendy

The coffee pot may have been contaminated by crumbs from donuts, bagels, bread, ect, in the bakery. This could happen very easily, especially in a bakery.

When I was first diagnosed I heard somewhere that some decafs might not be gluten free and I was paranoid of flavors. But after nearly four years, the only coffees I ever found with gluten are ones that have obvious gluten items added to them after the brewing, incluidng two flavors at Starbucks.

I'm curious if anybody has ever run across a basic coffee, flavored or not, that has gluten. If so, please tell us the brands.

richard

Based on her post she did not drink the coffee from the shop, or eat anything else. If thats the case I would guess she either got some crumbs on the cup and transfered them to her mouth (via food later, ot bitting nails, etc), or the gluten happened else where. Of course it possilbe she just merely got a stomache virus....

Based on her post she did not drink the coffee from the shop, or eat anything else. If thats the case I would guess she either got some crumbs on the cup and transfered them to her mouth (via food later, ot bitting nails, etc), or the gluten happened else where. Of course it possilbe she just merely got a stomache virus....

Yep you are right. Her original post says she went to get coffee for her husband. Which that means there had to be something else maybe through cross contamination that made her react.