- - - - -

Wasn't Thinking...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Zmom_*

Guest_Zmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:36 PM

A few days ago I put gas in the car then thought it would save time to stop at the bakery for a coffee for my husband. Did not eat or buy any gluten products.
Later on I had a most unpleasant gastrointestinal experience. could not figure it out I was thinking about it today- could inhaleing the bakery air cause diarrhea?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 05:08 PM

Anh...some people might react, but I would be surprised if you could get glutened in the time you need to buy a coffee.

#3 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 05:12 PM

I react when I am in places with flour floating around and then breathe it in.

Could it have been any other possibility? Makeup or other products, etc?
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#4 Merika

Merika

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 06:15 PM

Maybe if you touched everything in there and then ate your own food with glutened fingers? Or maybe if they were mixing flour at the time?

Wait...was this an actual bakery? Not like a coffee shop? I suppose then every surface could be coated with a fine mist of flour....hahaha, do it again next week and see what happens!

Merika
(perverse sense of humor at the moment :unsure: )

#5 watkinson

watkinson

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 10:43 AM

Hi Zmo,
actually believe it or not, some coffee contains gluten. Did you use any creamer or get the coffee out of a machine, like a mocha or something? Hope you feel better soon,

Wendy

#6 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 12:02 PM

The coffee pot may have been contaminated by crumbs from donuts, bagels, bread, ect, in the bakery. This could happen very easily, especially in a bakery.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#7 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 04:50 AM

When I was first diagnosed I heard somewhere that some decafs might not be gluten free and I was paranoid of flavors. But after nearly four years, the only coffees I ever found with gluten are ones that have obvious gluten items added to them after the brewing, incluidng two flavors at Starbucks.

I'm curious if anybody has ever run across a basic coffee, flavored or not, that has gluten. If so, please tell us the brands.

richard

#8 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:33 AM

Based on her post she did not drink the coffee from the shop, or eat anything else. If thats the case I would guess she either got some crumbs on the cup and transfered them to her mouth (via food later, ot bitting nails, etc), or the gluten happened else where. Of course it possilbe she just merely got a stomache virus....

- Vincent -

#9 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:37 AM

Based on her post she did not drink the coffee from the shop, or eat anything else. If thats the case I would guess she either got some crumbs on the cup and transfered them to her mouth (via food later, ot bitting nails, etc), or the gluten happened else where. Of course it possilbe she just merely got a stomache virus....

Yep you are right. Her original post says she went to get coffee for her husband. Which that means there had to be something else maybe through cross contamination that made her react.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: