This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Adventures In Gluten/dairy/egg-free Cooking

Emme999

Emme999 Enthusiast

So anyway, I got all excited tonight and attempted my first dairy/egg/gluten free banana bread. I thought I would do something *really* cool and try the "Tofutti Sour Cream Banana Bread" from glutenfreeda.com - the recipe was already gluten & milk free, so I figured I could just use my Ener-G egg replacer and it would be fab.

I downloaded some egg-free baking tips from the Gluten-Free pantry and used this information (kinda):

“EGG REPLACER” is a dry, white powder from

Ener-G Foods that is a glorified baking powder – a

combination of tapioca starch and leavening agents.

It helps some baked goods rise. Carol Fenster recommends

adding twice the amount of dry Egg Replacer

indicated in the instructions on the but to

keep the water/liquid amount the same. Remember

that Egg Replacer does not have the moisturizing or

lubricating qualities that eggs do, so you may need

to add a little extra fat or oil to the recipes.

The recipe called for 3 eggs and on the box it says 1 egg = 1 1/2 tsp. replacer + 1 T. water. Well, I didn't want to go overboard so I used 6 teaspoons instead of 9 and used the 3 T. water then added about 3 tsp. of oil to the recipe.

It smelled soooo good and I was soooooo excited - but.. well, after tasting it, my mom suggested sticking a couple of pieces up your nose while eating it so you can imagine that it tastes as good as it smells. The density was good, and the texture was fine - but there was a slight chemical taste to it that kind of ruined the whole thing :(

I am so sad :( My first gluten/dairy/egg-free baking experiment flopped :(

I think all would have been well if I had used REAL eggs - unfortunately, when I eat them I develop unbelievable stomach pain. So - that's out.

Does anyone have any suggestions on an egg replacer that doesn't leave a chemical aftertaste? :huh:

You know, milk & gluten aren't that hard to replace - but eggs... geez! I don't even know what to do here. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

- Michelle :wub:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Merika Contributor

Hi Bean,

You may want to bring a calculator into the kitchen with you. Substitutions are tricky sometimes. :)

If the recipe called for 3 eggs, you should have added 4 1/2 teaspoons powder egg replacer, and 6 tablespoons water.

My water math is different than yours because my box of ener-g egg replacer calls for a ratio of 1 1/2 tsp to 2 tbls water. I had to read it a million times before I memorized it. You might want to check your box again. It helps to whip this mix up into a froth before adding the other ingredients.

Personally, I don't find it adds a chemical taste. Maybe it's because you just added too much? Or maybe you are more sensitive to it. Or maybe it was a different unfamiliar ingredient you are tasting.

Try it again :) The first gluten-free baked things I made were AWFUL. Keep trying new flours, recipes, etc, and you will find stuff you like. Budget a bit of $$ into this experimentation.

Btw, I bought all of Bette Hagman's cookbooks when diagnosed and was soooo optimistic. The first flour mix I tried was TERRIBLE. Blech! Chemically! Dh and i pinned it on the xantham gum, but it could have been anything. I have found things elsewhere since that I think are pretty good.

The book Breaking the Vicious Cycle has some good recipes in it that are free of the things you mention. Beware though of the over-reliance on nuts - it can be hard on a celiac's healing intestines.

Applesauce can also sometimes be substituted for eggs.

Hth,

Merika

tarnalberry Community Regular

I'm pretty sure that, in the banana bread recipe I posted in that big list of recipes, you could substitute the eggs with some additional ground flax meal (a known egg replacement). I think something like an extra two tablespoons should suffice, but you may want to soak it in three or four tablespoons of water for a while before using it. (That would be per egg...)

skbird Contributor

Here's some egg replacer info I got, don't have the source (sorry) but I haven't tried it much...

Egg Replacers

Flax Seed Egg Replacer

INGREDIENTS

1 cup flax seeds

4 cups water

METHOD

In a blender, process flax seeds to a fine meal. Add water and blend.

Keeps about 2 weeks, refrigerated. 1/4 cup replaces one egg.

NOTES

Some people use ground up flax seeds and water. Others use whizzed-up silken tofu (an egg's worth? maybe 3 tablespoons). Personally, I have found that I can use a little more baking powder and things turn out fine without egg or egg-replacer. For example, I like making banana nut muffins and banana bread. I add an extra banana, double the baking powder, and it works fine (it also comes out moister). Be sure you use a non-aluminum baking powder like Rumford; doubling on the aluminum makes it really bitter (and it's not good for you anyway).

I can't use the EnerG stuff because it has potato in it so I have no experience there to share. I like the idea though of using flax meal - adds fiber and omega 3.

Sorry it was a bummer! I am too familiar with that experience...

Steph

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

Hi,

I would love to share recipes with you!! We just found out that our child also has dairy, egg and soy allergies. I've been using the Ener-G egg replacer also and have gotten OK results. My box is like Merika's, using more water. I saw the information on the GFP website that you'd mentioned, about the egg replacers and they recommend using less water. I made zucchini muffins yesterday and the tasted OK but were kindof gooey. I realized after a couple of batches that my lower element in my oven had went out. :lol: If my recipe calls for one egg, I've been using the directions on the box times two. I made Pamela's Brownie Mix/Cake Recipe and did this and it worked great. With the muffins I made, I added applesause for moisture. You might be able to use flax seed gel for the moisture content and the Ener-g replacer for levening. (I got my flax gel recipe from the Whole Approach Forum) You actually boil the seeds and it becomes slimmy like egg whites.)

Good Luck :)

Merika Contributor

A warning about flax if you do not currently consume it - it is also used as a laxative, so start eating it in small amounts, and slowly build your way up. :)

Kasey's mom - Pamela's Brownie Mix has soy in it :( Sorry. I've made this same mistake too and darnit, they are delicious <_<

Merika

tarnalberry Community Regular
A warning about flax if you do not currently consume it - it is also used as a laxative, so start eating it in small amounts, and slowly build your way up. :)

lol... I eat flax crackers plenty, and I guess I've just eaten plenty of flax recently enough... ;-) It definitely has a bit of that effect for me, but not a huge one, so it's definitely something your body will get used to, but I just don't even think about it any more. (my lunch today was flax crackers, probably the equivalent of 1/3 cup flax seeds...)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

Thanks Merika!!!

My birthday is tomorrow and I think my family is having a suprise party for me because they were asking about the cake. These mulitple food allergies are a kicker! We just found about about the newest ones so I'm hoping I'll get the hang of it.

I make a muffin that uses flax seed and amaranth and it does help to keep use regular! :lol:

Emme999 Enthusiast

Thanks to everyone for the responses :)

Merika - no, my math was right - the correct usage (according to the box) per egg is 1 1/2 tsp. Times this by three and you have 4 1/2 - but *double* it - as was suggested on the Gluten Free Pantry website, and you have NINE tsp! Ack - so, I used a little less - giving me 6 tsp. (Geez this is complicated!)

You were right about the water though ;) I was looking at the suggestion on the side of the box for egg yolk replacement. Doh! :blink:

The flour used in the recipe was from the Gluten Free Pantry - their Country French Bread Mix actually. Glutenfreeda uses this as "flour" in almost all of their recipes (that I've seen) and claim it is the best tasting. (Ingredients: Rice flour, cornstarch, potato starch, crystallized honey, guar gum, salt, gluten-free yeast packet.) Maybe that was it - maybe it didn't need all the additional rising stuff!

Geez, I don't know.

The idea of using flaxmeal is great - but I'm a little worried about it (personally, not for others). I bought some ground flaxmeal a couple weeks ago (it was a good source, I'm not worried about the quality of it) and after I used it I developed some nasty stomach pains - similar to when I consume something I'm allergic to (like dairy or eggs). So, I'm wondering if I just don't do well with flax :(

I will try it though - thanks for the specific 'how to' Steph!

Has anyone experimented with using Tofu as a replacement? Can anyone tell me how long Tofu lasts in the fridge after you open it?

Thanks again :)

p.s. The chemical taste has died down a bit as the banana taste has deepened in the bread. It's not too bad now :) Still, could be much better!

Merika Contributor

Hi,

Oops sorry Bean, didn't see that you were supposed to double it. That is a lot!

Kasey's mom - here are my soy-free chocolate sources: whole foods brand dark chocolate bar (red/white wrapper) and scharfenberger unsweetened cocoa (makes really good hot chocolate with almond milk). There are online sources of soy-free chocolate chips - I haven't tried them yet.

Other than that, with probably a very few exceptions, EVERY chocolate product out there contains soy. Chocolate bars, chocolate flavors, chocolate bunnies, brownies, cakes, you name it. Lecithin (soy) is added to make the consistency smooth. Some "experts" will say that soy lecithin and soy oil, since the soy protein is removed mostly, are ok to eat if you are soy-allergic. NOT TRUE. I'm sure there are people out there with soy intolerance who an eat these small amounts and be ok, but if you really react to soy, stay away from it.

Also, maybe you know this already, soy masquerades as Vitamin E (think also in lip balm, lotion, etc - it's a very trendy ingredient), MSG (not always soy, but typically), and tocopheryl/tocopheryl acetate (in many beauty products and elsewhere).

I have found soy in some of the most surprising places. IMO it is harder to avoid than wheat. It's in just about everything!! I'm looking forward to the new labeling laws....

Merika

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

Wow Merika,

Thanks for the resources. My daughter has so many IGg and IGe food allergies tha just small amounts seem to make a huge reaction. Without getting on a soap box...I'm looking forward to more helpful labels. :D Just looking for a couple of ingredients wasn't nearly as hard as it is now. I shouldn't have complianed so much. :lol: I'll go back over the lip balms and check them. Everyone seems to be kissing my child on the face. ;) This may seem kindof hick but I've just gone to using olive oil on my daughter's skin. Everything else seemed to make the rashes worse. Thanks again for the information!

Guest nini

For a good Egg Free baking mix I've found that Orgran products are ok. Some of them require a little "tweaking" like adding extra applesauce or something like that. But Orgran has some variety of product. They are all natural, gluten free, dairy free and egg free. I think the bread mixes are even yeast free. With the mixes you usually just need to add water.

Merika Contributor
soy masquerades as Vitamin E (think also in lip balm, lotion, etc - it's a very trendy ingredient), MSG (not always soy, but typically), and tocopheryl/tocopheryl acetate (in many beauty products and elsewhere).

Ack, "mono and di-glycerides"!!

I should have also added that soy is "mono and di-glycerides"!! You'll find these in packaged foods such as chocolate sauce, whipped cream in a can, and many many other places. It took me a long time to unearth this one, that's why I'm taking the time to mention it here even though it's not a direct gluten issue.

Having just fed my soy-allergic ds this very ingredient last night (doh- slam head on table repeatedly), I am thinking of it now :( There was a whipped cream brand at whole foods that was soy-free and I bought one this week and didn't notice it said "light" on it and it has all these additives!!! Of course, I didn't read the label until today, when ds has soy-reaction stamped all over him!!!

Merika

(doh-slam head on table, repeat...) :blink:

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

Can you buy the Orgran products at most health food stores or are they something I need to order direct?

Merika, I was wondering about Nestle cocoa powder? I've got one can of Nestle in my pantry and it doesn't list anything else. Would you think this is OK? My little one got into soy on Sat. also. She breaks out rather quickly after eating it, and takes a few days to clear. Will the new labeling laws show things like mono and di-glycerides as a soy warning? I need to print these things out to put on my frig. I think my daughter's probiotic is coated with soybean oil. ;)

Thanks again for the information! So much to go through but sooooo worth it. :)

Emme999 Enthusiast

Merika -

Don't slam your head on the table ;) Your family is so lucky to have such a vigilant woman to help them with their problems. Sometimes people make mistakes. Be kind to yourself. Think instead of how often you protect them instead of the rare occassion when you miss something. *hug*

- Michelle

p.s. I would love, more than anything, to have someone watching out so carefully for me. You are a blessing to your ds!

Merika Contributor

Thanks bean :) I actually should have added doh-slam head on table, but laughing kinda, cause what else can you do?

Kasey's mom, Nestle may indeed make a pure cocoa powder :) And from that, you could make many delicious things......mmmmmmmm.....

I wish there were a soy forum or soy website that listed all this stuff, like there is for celiac. It is much more pervasive in our foods than wheat, and I never thought I'd be saying that!

There is some justice in the world, though - despite testing allergic to almost every food on the planet, chocolate was NOT in my "positive allergy" group :D

Merika

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

Merika,

We're so blessed to have knowledge about our health. You're such an important part of this forum and I've learned so much from you. As Michelle said, you're a SUPER MOM! I'll let you know if I can find an food allergy forum, I've been looking... :)

P.S. You can take your soy free cocoa powder and add it to melted coconut oil, nut butter and sugar or sugar substitute and freeze in a baking dish. I've added gluten-free flavors, nuts and coconut to the mix. I cut the chocolate into pcs. and keep them in a freeze bag for my sweet tooth! :lol:

specialdiets Newbie

When I use Ener-G Egg Replacer in my baking I always add 1 tablespoon of the dry Egg Replacer per egg needed directly to the dry ingredient mix. I do not add any additional water or pre-make the "egg" mixture. Its really not necessary. This works well for recipes calling for eggs to use as leaveners and not binders.

Emme999 Enthusiast

Sunni -

A *tablespoon* per egg? Doesn't that give it a chemical taste? Do you use such a large amount even when the recipe calls for multiple eggs? This one called for 3 - and that would have been 3 Tablespoons - which seems like an awful lot!

Anyone -

I was really unhappy with my ener-g foods egg replacer and bought some tofu yesterday to try instead. Does anyone have experience with using tofu as an egg replacement? I bought the "soft" tofu (Mori-nu Silken) because I imagined it would be more egg like. But I really have no idea what I'm doing! ;)

Thanks so much to anyone who responds!

specialdiets Newbie
Sunni -

A *tablespoon* per egg?  Doesn't that give it a chemical taste?  Do you use such a large amount even when the recipe calls for multiple eggs?  This one called for 3 - and that would have been 3 Tablespoons - which seems like an awful lot!   

Anyone -

I was really unhappy with my ener-g foods egg replacer and bought some tofu yesterday to try instead.  Does anyone have experience with using tofu as an egg replacement?  I bought the "soft" tofu (Mori-nu Silken) because I imagined it would be more egg like.  But I really have no idea what I'm doing! ;) 

Thanks so much to anyone who responds!

I have used up to 3 tablespoons in baking recipes such as cakes or bread and found that it did nothing to affect the taste. But this only works well for leavening.

Here is some more info on substituting for eggs you might find useful:

Eggs add color, protein, volume, and texture to baked foods. They can be one of the most challenging ingredients to replace in baking. A recipe made without eggs or with substitutions can produce a thicker and heavier version. Most cookie and pancake recipes come out perfect with the omission of eggs. However, some recipes that require 3 or more eggs usually will only work with real eggs.

To properly substitute for eggs you must first determine their purpose in a recipe. If the recipe calls for one egg it generally serves as a binder. In this case almost any substitute will be acceptable. Two or three eggs in a recipe typically provide leavening. For this type of substitution you should try using Ener-G Egg Replacer, one of the baking powder mixes, or increase your leavening ingredients.

Note: Egg substitutes commonly found in the supermarket can contain egg ingredients and are not suitable for those with egg allergies. Some may also include wheat or corn ingredients too.

Fake Egg Options:

Arrowroot 1 Egg = 1 tablespoon Arrowroot flour mixed with 3 tablespoons Water

Baking Powder Mix #1: 1 heaping tablespoon baking powder, 1 heaping tablespoon oil, plus 1 tablespoon warm water

Baking Powder Mix #2: 1 heaping tablespoon baking powder, 1 tablespoon cider or apple cider vinegar, plus 1 tablespoon warm water

Baking without Eggs In most cases eggs can be eliminated from pancake, waffles, and biscuit recipes.

Banana 1 Egg = 1/2 large mashed banana or approximately 1/3 cup --- Works great in pancake/waffle recipes as well as cakes/cookies only imparts very light nana flavor

Cornstarch 1 Egg = 1 tablespoon of Cornstarch mixed with 3 tablespoons of Water

Cookies without Eggs Omit eggs from recipe. Add 1/4 teaspoon more baking soda, increase liquid ingredients a tablespoon per egg required and add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon more cooking oil. You can further substitute maple syrup for sugar as it acts as a binder. If dough seems too sticky, add a teaspoon of flour at a time until desired consistency is achieved.

Flaxseed 1 Egg = 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed to 2 to 3 tablespoons of water. Boil for 10 minutes or use warm water and a blender to mix completely.

Fruit 1 Egg = 3 tablespoons pureed fruit (apples, apple butter, apricots, pears, prunes, baby food)--- A jar of unsweetened applesauce does the trick.

1 Egg = 2 tablespoons fruit juice and increase leavening about 50%

Gelatin 1 Egg = 1 teaspoon gelatin dissolved in 3 tablespoons of boiling water. Gel slightly in freezer for approximately 5 minutes. Beat like a regular egg and add to recipe. This adds a texture similar to real eggs. ---Probably one of the best subs there is for eggs. Use Emes Plain Kosher Jel made from Carageenan (safe seeweed), Carob (locust bean gum) + Maltodextrin (corn) Buy at Open Original Shared Link

Maple Syrup or Honey - For any baked good that calls for both eggs and sugar, omit both and substitute maple syrup. Add half as much syrup as sugar.

Honey - Use 1 tablespoon of honey per egg needed + reduce the liquid ingredients by 1/8 to 1/4 cup.

Mayonnaise 1 Egg = 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise (or egg-free mayonnaise substitute---Use Veganaise Soy Mayonnaise which works great)

Soy 1 Egg = 1/4 cup Soy Milk --- Wil make the recipe brown more than you may want

Tofu 1 Egg = 1/4 cup ground soft tofu - helps to whip it first

Xanthan Gum 1 Egg White = 1/4 teaspoon of Xanthan Gum with 1/4 cup Water. Let stand. When thickened this mix can be whipped and used as an egg white.

Emme999 Enthusiast

Wow! Thank you so much :) :)

How can I figure out what the egg is used for in recipes? Forgive me, I never thought much about what eggs do before I found out that I was allergic to them! :rolleyes: I'm guessing that it works as a leavening agent in breads & cakes. Anywhere else I need to worry about leavening?

I never thought much about milk either.. what is the point of that anyway? :huh: Moisture? Flavor? Supporting the dairy industry? (ooh don't get me started :angry:)

Anyway - Thanks so much for all of the info you gave me :)

specialdiets Newbie

Ok, Michelle, Its difficult to really separate the actual function of an egg in a recipe because it is naturally both leavener + binder. But if the recipe also calls for additional baking powder, then you have a clue that the egg is mostly a binder. In this case use any kind of liquid egg sub like honey, syrup, gelatin, mashed fruit, tofu or Veganaise soy "mayonnaise". I only use a 'sweet' egg sub if there is no additional sugar in the recipe. However, in an unsweetened recipe like biscuits or bread I find that honey works well without altering the flavor.

If there is no baking soda or powder in the recipe, but one or two eggs, then the eggs are probably both binder and leavener. In this case I would use part dry and liquid subs. For example for 1 egg = 1 tablespoon Egg Replacer or Baking soda + 1 tablespoon honey (or any liquid egg sub) You may need to reduce other liquids by 1/8 to 1/4 cup.

If you need to add eggs to a packaged dry mix then its probably best to use a liquid egg sub, not something like Egg Replacer (with the exception of pancakes/waffles or cookies)

You have to look at every baking recipe as a mathematical equation. You pull it apart and focus on variables when making substitutions. Baked goods are any bread, cake, cookies, pancakes, waffles, biscuits, crusts, pastry, etc.

Here are common ingredients in baking:

1. Flour - the main composition of the batter

2. Binder - keeps the recipe together. Usually a liquid substance. Eggs are traditionally used for this. The best subs are liquid based such as mashed fruit (bananas or applesauce), gelatin, flaxseed, Honey, Egg-Free Mayonnaise, or Whipped Tofu

3. Leavener - rising agent. Yeast, Baking Soda/Baking Powder or Eggs.

4. Liquid - also a binder, helps the structure of the batter. Milk is common in cakes and other baking mostly because it is high in protein which is important, but it is the easiest ingredient to sub. Use an equal amount of soy milk, rice milk, almond milk, vance's darifree, or water. While you can use fresh fruit juice, you will have to change amts of sweeteners and it can also affect the taste.

5. Fat - acts as a tenderizer/moisturizer and supports the leavening action. Types are oil, butter, margarine and shortening. These can mostly be used interchangeably. Recipes with fruit often go well with oil; whereas some baked items may come out greasy or gooey. I never got good results using oil as a sub for butter/margarine/shortening. I use Fleischmann's Light or Spectrum Palm shortening.

6. Sweetener - tenderizer/moisturizer in desserts. If using a liquid sub for sugar you will need to reduce or eliminate other liquid ingredients.

As you can see there are a lot of parts to a recipe to substitute and adjusting any one of them can affect taste, texture and density. I'm not a professional baker, but I have been baking without eggs, milk, soy, yeast + gluten for several years. Maybe some other bakers who cook without those ingredients may share some more insights!

Sunni

Archived