This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

"other" Names For Gluten

tjames1951

tjames1951 Newbie

I think what would be most helpful would be a "Master List" of some king that lists ALL the 'Other' things that gluten is called or that contains gluten like "modified food starch" "Hydrolyzed vegetable protein" and ??????

I was just told that 'Carrageenan' is or has gluten? Is this true?? This is SO frustrating!!

Any info will help!!!

Thanks

tjames1951

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

The post I've quoted below has some useful links.

In the US, wheat must be explicitly listed by federal law, either in the ingredients list or in a "Contains" statement. Rye is very rare in foods--it is pretty much just in rye bread. Barley can hide, but is usually in malt flavors and listed as malt.

Modified food starch is usually tapioca or corn.

Unsafe ingredients: https://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsaf...ents/Page1.html

Safe ingredients: https://www.celiac.com/articles/181/1/Safe-...ents/Page1.html

A list of companies that has a clear gluten policy. If you don't see "wheat, rye, barley, barley malt, oats" on the labels, its not there, or hidden in "flavors, starches, etc." Open Original Shared Link This makes shopping MUCH easier.

FDA foods are required to list wheat - it cannot be hidden.

Rule #1: Never eat anything without reading the label first.

Rule #2: Consistently check labels, even of your favorite products, as product formulations can change.

Rule #3: If you are unsure of an ingredient, or the company's policy on labeling, call the phone number on the back of the product or email the company.

Hope this helps.

shopgirl Contributor

Carrageenan comes from seaweed. It's not gluten. There's some debate over how healthy it is for us but it's definitely not gluten.

tjames1951 Newbie

Thanks guys for yer in-put. That has cleared up a couple of things. Now all i gotta do is remember to take my reading glasses with me when i go shopping and in some cases a magnifying glass. Tj

sa1937 Community Regular

Now if all companies would only make ingredient lists easy to read...no tiny black words on a red background!!! :angry:

SuziQT0322 Newbie

After attending a gluten-free Support group meeting...I ordered a wonderful book from the gluten-free Mall. 2011/12 Gluten Free Shopping Guide. I believe it is $24.95 + shipping. I can't wait to get it in. This might also help you. Not sure.. But good luck

• 1 month later...
katiekay Explorer

The post I've quoted below has some useful links.

In the US, wheat must be explicitly listed by federal law, either in the ingredients list or in a "Contains" statement. Rye is very rare in foods--it is pretty much just in rye bread. Barley can hide, but is usually in malt flavors and listed as malt.

Modified food starch is usually tapioca or corn.

I checked out the links... those are LONG lists. BUT this other part you mention about it having to state if it contains... does this mean we are safe if it doesn't mention wheat, rye, barley, malt. Don't they also have to state if it was made somewhere that also uses wheat???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Disclosure of shared facilities is voluntary in the US and in Canada.

There used to be a lot of things that could hide wheat, such as "modified food starch." That one almost always is corn or tapioca. Wheat is more expensive.

Since FALCPA took effect in January of 2006, the presence of wheat in packaged food in the US must be explicitly declared on the label using the word "wheat." As a result, many ingredients previously listed as questionable can now be considered safe.

Rye, barley and oats are not included in the list of eight top allergens defined by FALCPA. But, as I said, rye doesn't show up except in bread. Oats don't hide.

Many companies go beyond the law, and will clearly disclose any gluten source by naming the grain. The list is long, but includes giants like Kraft, General Mills and Unilever (and all the brands that they own). I posted a link to a more complete list above.

Canadian rules are similar at the moment. The ten "Priority Allergens" cover the eight in FALCPA, plus sesame seeds and sulfites. The list is being expanded to include rye, barley and oats, but that is not yet in effect.

katiekay Explorer

I'm sorry about this. It seems like I can't quite keep up... so do you mean yes, we are safe if it doesn't contain the words wheat, rye, barley, malt?

oops - I mean other than the shared facilities thing...

• 1 month later...
WhenDee Rookie

I'm sorry about this. It seems like I can't quite keep up... so do you mean yes, we are safe if it doesn't contain the words wheat, rye, barley, malt?

oops - I mean other than the shared facilities thing...

Nooooo! Not unless it's a company that has promised to list gluten (link in that great post above). Unless the company has gone to some length to be sure the food (and all the ingredients in that food) never touched gluten, you can't be sure.

Your product may have nothing added, but perhaps ingredient #4 was produced on the same line that produces a wheat product - and you're left trying to figure out why you can't leave the house that day.

Unless it's one of those companies - OR it says "gluten free" AND has no disclaimers, you can't be sure. Check gluten-free labels, too, because I have a supposedly gluten-free flour in my house right now that says "produced in a facility..." :huh:

cap6 Enthusiast

Now if all companies would only make ingredient lists easy to read...no tiny black words on a red background!!! :angry:

I agree! And maybe not write in print so small i have to take my glasses off to read!!

• 2 weeks later...
KuKuKaChoo52 Newbie

I hate that! That is the only thing that still gets me after almost a year(gluten free, but produced in a facility that uses wheat, gluten...) In my opinion they should not be able to have a gluten free print on the front if the back says they could have gluten, because that is what that means to me... I think I read all the posts, and not sure if anyone mentioned it, but I have heard natural flavorings is something that could have gluten in it as well. Not for the certified gluten free ones (the only worries for those is the facility), but for regular goods say a can of re fried beans or something... So it depends I guess, but I have found myself calling a lot more compaines then I have wanted to just to find out if they use a facility with wheat or if their "natural flavoring" is composed of gluten or not.

Archived