This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Children Testing?

meme2kids

meme2kids Rookie

Just quick question:

I have just tested positive blood and biospy for Celiacs. My next stop was to peds to have all 3 of my guys tested.

2 of them, they do not appear to have any of the signs, but my youngest has seveal of the classic signs.

Her test results have come back negative adn the doctor wants to test for other areas of why she is the way she is:

Gas (Bad stinky)

Bad bowel movements

Stomach aches

Very Thin

Temper tantrums

Anger

Stress

Anixety Attacks

Nervous

Is there a chance her tests were a false negative? She we have her tested every year?

We are still waiting on the other 2's tests to come back.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

T.H. Community Regular

I'll share what we did.

I was positive first, then tested the kids, like ya'll. My daughter came back positive, my son negative. After looking at the rate of false negative, and the potential for gluten possibly triggering celiac disease in susceptible individuals (that's just a theory. It has never been proven), I took my son off gluten, too.

He had symptoms - like a bloated tummy - that went away on the gluten free diet.

For your little one that the doctor wants to test further? I would honestly do one other test, first: take her off gluten for a month or two and see how she does. If her symptoms resolve, whoopee. Either it's a false negative or non-celiac gluten intolerance, then (and the fact that you have celiac disease makes either of these the most likely, from what I've seen).

If it doesn't improve, then you can test further, yes? If it improves somewhat but not all the way, I'd say there's a gluten issue, but also something else that needs further exploration. But there are SO many people here who had a false negative test and spend years searching for the answer, when it was gluten all along, that I'd really think about trying a gluten free diet first, just in case.

Also, I would definitely have her tested every few years - all your kids, honestly - if they test negative and if a gluten free diet does nothing for them. The disease can trigger at any time, so they should probably keep testing the rest of their lives. Your folks and siblings should go for it, too, if they haven't already yet.

In my family, after a blitz of testing, we found out myself, my father, my brother, and my daughter were all positive, and like i said, my son was negative but had symptoms resolve on the diet.

meme2kids Rookie

Thanks for the reply. Hubby and I have removed most glutten from her diet now, right now she is fighting and refusing to her her roasted chicken, rice and green beans. I say most, because I just found out the apple juice we are drinking had it, meet with the nutritionist this week and working on modifing the family diet.

Right now 2 kids have come back negative, and we are waiting on 1 more child to be tested.

Sister is going in on 2/22 to have testing done. All other family thinks like mother.

Mother thinks it is all in my head and the fact that my father has the same the symptoms, she thinks my Sister is crazy for even listening to me. Mother blames mine on my mind and my sister's on the infection she has a child where the docs had to remove 1/3 of her large intestines.

My dad is afraid he has colon cancer because of the syptoms he is having, but refuses to go for testing.

Takala Enthusiast

Older relatives are sure fun, aren't they ? :ph34r:

Yes, children can test out false negative.

Adults whom are positive can have very few of the classic symptoms, too, "silent celiac."

Once the kidlet is off of gluten totally for several months, she should then in the future test out negative or too low on the blood tests, because the protein to which her body is reacting is no longer there for her immune system to react to.

You can try getting her genes tested to see if she is a carrier, (about 30% of the population at large is, but only about 1% of the population develops the intolerance) which puts her in the category of can be able to become celiac or gluten intolerant. If her symptoms then resolve on the gluten free diet, it's more likely she really is celiac or gluten intolerant, and you have your unofficial answer. But it is tricky, because unless she feels much better and is happy and accepted on it, when they hit the teenage years they might start flirting around with risk - taking because they are not "official." Of course they might do that anyway. Heck, we see adults doing that here, they are diagnosed and then cross contaminated and start doubting it even though they are having symptoms.

Archived