2 replies to this topic

#1 imvein

imvein

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:51 PM

Hi! I am feeling so bad for my teenage daughter! She has been suffering with violent vomiting, abdominal pain and cramping and diarrhea (or urgency) for years. But it is getting worse! She was almost passing out today from the pain. I am wondering if it is related to gluten intolerance. She has a long history of waking up in the middle of the nite, vomiting and horribly nauseated. Also, migraines, fatigue, joint pain and swelling, malar rash. Her ANA is positive with 1:1280 titers. We just keep treating her symptoms, but I feel there must be an underlying problem. I, myself, have "weirdo" symptoms too. I have been gluten free now for 3 weeks and feel worlds better! Has anyone had a teenager with similar symptoms?

Thanks and happy tummy days to all!

Jill

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:29 PM

My son had these symptoms in high school (he had them during his freshman and sophomore years). I had the same symptoms and was more concerned with what was happening with me than with my son. I thought I was dying. When I had practically given up, I did a search on my symptoms and discovered that there was a disease with every single one of my symptoms: celiac disease. I immediately went gluten free and felt like a new person. Since I decided that I no longer needed to consult with bumbling, incompetent doctors at my HMO, I didn't seek any type of testing. However, because my son had the same symptoms that I did, I took him in to be tested. His pediatrician had NEVER tested a patient for celiac disease (believe it or not) and had to consult with a gastro-enterologist on the proper tests. Long story short, my son tested positive for celiac on the blood tests, and after he began to follow the diet, he felt like a new person. Only then did he divulge to me that that he had thought that he, too, was dying. In fact, he shared with me that he had considered suicide. I mention this because it is obvious that you need the same wake-up call that I did--PLEASE have your daughter tested. Even if she tests negative, place her on a gluten-free diet. Her life sounds as Hellish as my son's was....and how I wish I could turn back the clock and do right by him. Seriously--if you're receiving benefit from a gluten-free diet, your daughter needs to receive those benefits, too. It's understandable that your poor health has caused you to overlook the seriousness of your daughter's situation...but now you must stand up and help her. Someday, she'll thank you for it (after she's cried over not being able to go to fast food restaurants with her friends)....good luck!

#3 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:19 AM

Has she been tested for Lupus? The malar rash and the high ANA make me suspicious as they are consistent with Lupus. A Rheumatologist could rule out Lupus. The rash, could also be Dermatitis Herpetiformis, the skin form of Celiac. All of her symptoms are consistent with Celaic.

I have been gluten free 4 months and have had resolution of all of the symptoms you are describing.

About two weeks into it, I started to suspect my teenage son's symptoms might be related to gluten. He has depression and anxiety that I attributed to my being sick all the time. He had bone and joint pain and severe asthma and was constantly sick with fatigue, colds, and flu-like symptoms. He has had a wonderful response to the gluten free diet. He is energetic and happy and feels really good. He tells me all the time how wonderful he feels. He had gotten to the point where he couldn't do any activities and just keeping up with daily life was a tremendous task. Things are so different now. He started jogging for the first time in his life and he has not needed to use his inhalers...they were a daily medication. He is friendly and social and has no problem keeping up in school now. All digestive problems are resolved. He only gets ill if he accidentally gets gluten. It has changed our lives, and very quickly.

I strongly encourage you to have her get tested or just go gluten free. We had such a strong positive result on the diet that we did not get tested and have no desire to do so. We had both been going to Dr.'s for years with no answers and no help, so for us, this has been a miracle.

The fatigue and depression associated with gluten lifted very quickly for my son.
My migraines immediately became less severe and then less frequent.

I do hope you will try a long term trial of gluten free.

I'm 4 months into this and am still finding things getting better and better every day.
Many strange symptoms I didn't even know were related to gluten have disappeared.

It is a great relief.
And very exciting to be able to finally stop being sick every day.

I hope you have the same results and you both get well quickly.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: