21 replies to this topic

#1 rustycat

rustycat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:15 PM

I keep hearing that rice is one of the least allergenic of foods, but it causes extreme fatigue, indigestion and rapid heartbeat for me. It took me a long time to figure this one out.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with rice and if it got better with time.

Rickets (severe Vitamin D deficiency) shortly after birth
First trip to Dr with severe C, age 7
Infertility, multiple miscarriages, eventually adopted 2 boys (not related)
2010: Negative celiac blood test, but staying on gluten free diet due to vast improvement in all symptoms
2011: June - started low salicylate diet to improve rosacea - it worked really well!
2012: May - started Paleo way of eating. Emotions and blood sugar seem to have evened out. Brain fog vanished.

2013: May - after 4 month elimination diet, was able to add back dairy, but nightshades are gone for good (my arthritis is gone, too!!!)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 missy'smom

missy'smom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:31 PM

Fatigue after eating rice or rice based breads, crackers etc. can be a sign of impaired glucose tolerance aka blood sugar problems. Rice is very easily and quickly converted to glucose and brings blood sugar up quickly. Elevated blood sugar can cause fatigue.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#3 rustycat

rustycat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:43 PM

Fatigue after eating rice or rice based breads, crackers etc. can be a sign of impaired glucose tolerance aka blood sugar problems. Rice is very easily and quickly converteg to glucose and brings blood suagr up quickly. Elevated blood sugar can cause fatigue.

Interesting. I know that I do have insulin resistance as part of my polycystic ovarian syndrome, so maybe that's part of it. However, I don't get the rapid heartbeat and indigestion from sugar, so maybe the blood sugar issue exacerbates an intolerance?

Rickets (severe Vitamin D deficiency) shortly after birth
First trip to Dr with severe C, age 7
Infertility, multiple miscarriages, eventually adopted 2 boys (not related)
2010: Negative celiac blood test, but staying on gluten free diet due to vast improvement in all symptoms
2011: June - started low salicylate diet to improve rosacea - it worked really well!
2012: May - started Paleo way of eating. Emotions and blood sugar seem to have evened out. Brain fog vanished.

2013: May - after 4 month elimination diet, was able to add back dairy, but nightshades are gone for good (my arthritis is gone, too!!!)

#4 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:14 PM

If you have IR, then rice could definitely be very problematic for blood sugar. Are you on any meds for the IR? Even with meds, blood sugar could still be too high. If you haven't been evaluated for diabetes you should be. There is a connection with PCOS and diabetes. Any one time blood sugar number, like a fasting blood sugar is not sufficient to give a good picture of what is going on. You want to use tests that will be reflective of blood sugar at various times. Oral Glucose Tolerance test and/or A1C. Get a meter and test like those with diabetes do and you will soon see how your meals are affecting blood sugar. Test before the meal, at 1 hr. after it and again at 2 hrs.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#5 11475

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:14 AM

I keep hearing that rice is one of the least allergenic of foods, but it causes extreme fatigue, indigestion and rapid heartbeat for me. It took me a long time to figure this one out.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with rice and if it got better with time.

Rice has me yawning after a few minutes, with an elevated heartbeat and large, dark red patches under my eyes, and I'm asleep within half an hour of eating it.

Sorry I can't be of any help - I haven't yet tried adding it back in, as I'm still healing and still developing more intolerances. Glad you finally figured it out as something that bothers you.

#6 julandjo

julandjo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:47 AM

Rice is a big problem for me. After 6 months of being grain-free, I decided to try adding rice back into my diet a few weeks ago. I was fine for the first 2 days, but then I got very uncomfortable guts/bloating/gas, my stools became very narrow and I got really constipated (I eat at least 30g of fiber a day so it's not that!), and my body started to ache. After 5 days on rice I had to give it back up.

I'm still not totally recovered from that trial, but when I am I'm thinking of trying to have rice maybe once or twice a week and seeing if my body can handle that? I don't know... but you're not alone. :(
Dx'd with Celiac June 2010 via positive biopsy. I got tested because both of my kids (3 and 5 years old) have multiple food intolerances, with gluten being the worst offender.

Free of: grains, dairy, soy, legumes, nightshades, nuts, fish, eggs, pork, citrus and tropical fruits (latex allergy), stone fruits, melons, squash, strawberries, flax, cruciferous veggies and celery.

Yes, I'm HUNGRY.

#7 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:34 PM

I always hear that about rice, too, but so far, I've had reactions to four varieties of rice (brown and white, both), from multiple companies, so I'm thinking it does me in, yeah.

And I recall reading somewhere that allergies to rice seem to be on the rise in some countries where it is more of a staple. Haven't tracked that comment down to see how true it is, though. Might be worth looking into, though, if you are interested.

Oh, also, I've been reacting to rice now for about 12 months, a little more, and the reaction has become worse rather than better.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#8 epiphany

epiphany

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:23 PM

I get a rash on my face from rice. It started around my lips like little pimples that would dry out as new ones formed. Then it started to spread onto my chin in little patches. After I figured it out, it went away fairly quick. When I accidently ate something with rice dextrin in it , I broke out on my nose. As for other symptoms, I still feel awful, so I don't know.
Epiphany

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1: 0301
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2: 0303
serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (subtype 7,9)

#9 Evangeline

Evangeline

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:11 PM

Yesterday I discovered I cannot eat rice because it gives me diarrhea :(. I hope one day I shall be able to eat it again!

#10 gf_soph

gf_soph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:28 PM

I definitely have an intolerance to rice, I found this out while on an elimination diet, when I increased my rice consumption my digestion went crazy. I also had mood and concentration problems. This was caused by eating a lot of brown rice products, though I seemed to be ok with white rice before, so I'm hopeful that I might be ok with white rice. A few days after cutting out all rice I felt amazing, and haven't had the chance to reintroduce it yet.

I am on the FODMAP diet, and there are people who can tolerate white rice but not brown, due to the fructans in the brown rice. If you want to try it out, you could try a lower GI white rice like basmati or doongara clever rice, and see if you react.

#11 Mother of a Celiac

Mother of a Celiac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:29 PM

Rice is a big problem for me. After 6 months of being grain-free, I decided to try adding rice back into my diet a few weeks ago. I was fine for the first 2 days, but then I got very uncomfortable guts/bloating/gas, my stools became very narrow and I got really constipated (I eat at least 30g of fiber a day so it's not that!), and my body started to ache. After 5 days on rice I had to give it back up.

I'm still not totally recovered from that trial, but when I am I'm thinking of trying to have rice maybe once or twice a week and seeing if my body can handle that? I don't know... but you're not alone. :(

Thanks for your post. I just tried reintroducing rice in my daughter's diet and she now has stomachaches and headaches again. It is reassuring to know that this is probably the cause and not some other "mystery" issue. So hard to narrow down all the different intolerances. We thought we had it all figured out a year ago when she was diagnosed with Celiacs, then this past January the symptoms returned....
Mother of a 7 yr. old with Celiac - Diagnosed Feb. 2010
Feb 2011 Started Paleo/SCD Diet for her and our household.
Daughter is gluten free, corn free, casein free, and grain free.

#12 Nackie

Nackie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:17 AM

I have issues with rice, too. With a full plate of rice (like stirfry with rice, etc) only takes about 30 minutes, and then I am bloated and retaining water for a good 3 days. I have the feeling that I tolerate it still in small quanitites, like in grape leaf rolls filled with rice (if I don't eat too many of them). But even the little bits are starting to bother me, so that I do try to avoid it lately. Which means no more baking at the moment, since I can't eat corn or soy either. Plain potato flour / starch does not a good baked good make! :)
Gluten free since 06/2007
Corn free since 2008
Soy free since 2010

#13 catarific

catarific

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:17 AM

It also could be the amount of rice being consumed. I have recently learned about the Low Fodmap Diet which does allow the consumption of grains during meals but it does say that the rule of thumb is to not have more than a half of cup to one cup (cooked) per meal. Sometimes that works. Try eating less and see if the same reaction occurs. Also limit the amount of carbohydrates being eaten at the same time. If you are having rice, do not have a starchy vegetable or bread. Only have one carbohydrate during the meal instead.

#14 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:59 AM

White rice does a number on me. It makes me very tired. I don't eat it anymore. I seem to be ok with the brown rice tortillas though.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#15 superfob

superfob

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:24 AM

hmmm, this is really interesting

i was eating a lot of rice because I read how it was the least allergenic grains, but the last two days I stopped eating rice and noticed an increase in energy

i just had some rice, and i felt a little tired and foggy very soon after eating it

its definately not a blood sugar issue, so maybe i'm reacting to the protein

i'm starting to notice all these food intolerances, now, can I expect them to stay, or maybe they will go away after I heal for a while?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: