This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Darn Near Narcoleptic, Glutened Symptom?

Aphreal

Aphreal Contributor

I confess that Sunday I snuck a piece of regular pizza because it smelled SO GOOD and I was weak. figured... how bad could it be right? The next morning I could NOT manage out of bed. I was beyond exhausted and literally can not keep my eyes opened, every moment able, I would go back to sleep. I blew it off.

Last night I got up in the middle of the night and ate a bowl of life cereal. I thought it was a dream, I mean I remember doing it but not fully conscience of doing it.. I have heard of sleep eating but this was just odd. So today, I am dealing with the same symptom. I can't keep my eyes open, I am so out of it.

Is this a glutened symptom? I just want to sleep and do nothing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nutzieone Newbie

Oh dear! I dont know if I could knowingly do that to myself! poor you though! I've been glutened a few times accidentally and the symptoms range from what you have explained to mildish with just some bloating and nausea. I am chronically fatigued and exhausted. Most days I cant keep my eyes open so for me this is just nomral day to day stuff! I unfortunately also have Rheumatoid Arthritis so that also slams me with the fatigue, etc.

I've also had sleep eating episodes! I once got up in the middle of the night and ate some sweets my husband was keeping on his desk! I remembered it the next morning as a dream but when he asked where his candy was I had to own up!

Good luck!

IrishHeart Veteran

I confess that Sunday I snuck a piece of regular pizza because it smelled SO GOOD and I was weak. figured... how bad could it be right? The next morning I could NOT manage out of bed. I was beyond exhausted and literally can not keep my eyes opened, every moment able, I would go back to sleep. I blew it off.

Last night I got up in the middle of the night and ate a bowl of life cereal. I thought it was a dream, I mean I remember doing it but not fully conscience of doing it.. I have heard of sleep eating but this was just odd. So today, I am dealing with the same symptom. I can't keep my eyes open, I am so out of it.

It is for me! I feel as if I have been drugged and can barely make a sentence.

I am just wondering... why you would eat gluten NOW after being gluten-free for so long?

lynnelise Apprentice

I will be extremely fatigued for a week or so after a glutening incident. I have never consumed an entire slice of pizza or a bowl of cereal though...just CC. Hope you feel better soon and get over your gluten cravings! I wonder why you are having cravings all the sudden? Is this your first cheat since July?

Looking for answers Contributor

Many people with gluten intolerance share the same gene that puts you at higher risk of narcolepsy, so research is beginning to link the two. Of couse, it could just be an auto-immune reaction as well. But, just thought you might find that interesting.

glutenfreeresistant Newbie

Many people with gluten intolerance share the same gene that puts you at higher risk of narcolepsy, so research is beginning to link the two. Of couse, it could just be an auto-immune reaction as well. But, just thought you might find that interesting.

This is interesting to read. Besides Lactose intolerance, fatigue seems to be my only other physical symptom. (I also suspect depression and anxiety, but have not been able to prove that.)My entire life I have been a very tired person. It was all difficult to figure out because I have also worked the nightshift for the past 5 years. I would be so tired intermittently.So because of this, I got tested. Now that I have been attempting to be gluten-free I notice more of the connection.

LivesIntheSun Apprentice

Gluten makes me 'sleep for England'. In the years before I found out I would wake up in the morning, have breakfast (toast...) then intend to just lie back down for a few minutes (I'd always sleep right through til lunchtime), get up and have lunch (a sandwich), then sleep again til 4 or 5pm. I'd go back to bed at 10pm and sleep til morning. What a waste.

And when I was working I'd drag myself through the morning with lots of strong tea and on my lunchbreak lie down on a bench or anywhere and set the alarm on my mobile phone for when I had to be back on my shift, and fall asleep with dreams and everything.

Now if I find myself wanting a nap in the morning after sleeping all night I know I've been glutened.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bella001 Explorer

I had extreme fatigue before I went gluten free. I couldn't stay awake past 8-8:30 and no matter how much sleep I got, I was tired all the time and had a hard time getting out of bed. Within a week of getting rid of the gluten, my energy came back full force.

Jestgar Rising Star

Many people with gluten intolerance share the same gene that puts you at higher risk of narcolepsy, so research is beginning to link the two.

Where did you see this?

Looking for answers Contributor

Where did you see this?

I have two copies of the 0602 gene

Open Original Shared Link

glutenfreesavvy Rookie

Wow...you are so not alone. I have several symptoms that hit me hard after a glutening & severe exhaustion & sleepiness is one of them. There have been a few times that I felt "drugged" & that was just from CC. I'm scared to think what would happen if I ate a piece of gluten-filled pizza. Yikes! :o

I hope you're feeling better... :)

warmly,

Faydra

Archived