This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Are Reese's Peanut Butter Cups Gluten Free Or Not?

jebby

22Tsuji22 Newbie

Those who can't eat Reese's Cups you can always make your own!

1 1/2 cups peanut butter

1 cup butter, softened

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

6 cups confectioners' sugar

4 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Directions

1. Mix together the butter, vanilla, and confectioners' sugar

2. Once that is all mixed, start making 1inch balls(or whatever size honestly. Place them on a wax paper

3. Once you are done with that put them in your refrigerator for 12hrs or so, I usually make them at night and then the next night do the dipping

4. Once they have cooled and are harder, melt your chocolate! and dip away!

This is a recipe for buckeyes, so they usually look like this Some people like to put wax in their buckeyes to give them a glossy finish but I personally think this ruins the taste.

I hope this is useful! I couldn't imagine not eating Reese's cups!!

Just make sure to buy all gluten-free items and you should be okay!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mama Melissa Enthusiast

I eat them all the time and have no ill effects i was told they have no gluten ingridients even tho there is not a label stating gluten free

ruubato skies Newbie

I eat Reese's cups occasionally, and Reese's Bites all the time! I never have a reaction (besides too much sugar ;))

I am not as sensitive as some, however, and it is good to hear that this is the general consensus on these products ^^

Has anyone ever made home-made cups with almond butter instead? This sounds like a phenomenal idea, and I'm drooling just thinking of it. I think a cooking adventure awaits me :)

takeiteasy Rookie

Thank you all for your responses and comments. I called Hershey's because I have had my usual celiac symptoms after eating a regular sized peanut butter cup on two separate occasions in the past year (and no, I am not lactose intolerant, soy intolerant, or have any problems with emulsifiers or any of the other ingredients in them). I am extremely sensitive to cross-contamination, though, and have had reactions to other products which manufacturers have stated have "no gluten ingredients,'" but I have later found out are produced on shared lines after I have had reactions, i.e. Tostitos.

I agree that, per the packaging, that there are no gluten-containing ingredients in Reese's peanut butter cups.

When I called Hershey's main phone number to speak with a customer service regarding gluten, the rep who I spoke with had much more knowledge about gluten than I expected. The three Hershey's candies which are "gluten free" are the only ones which are produced on dedicated lines and do not risk coming in contact with gluten-containing products during manufacturing.

It would be interesting to see if others who call Hershey's get conflicting information.....

I am envious of those of you who do not get sick from cross-contamination and are able to use and trust ingredient labels. Unfortunately, that is not the case for all of us!

Hi. I'm reading with interest all of these posts and I am with you on this subject. I've had a terrible reaction to a rice cake, which actually did note on the package "made in a facility that uses wheat products". I missed the note on the label and only saw it after my reaction. Because I am extremely sensitive to cross contamination, even if the ingredients listed are non gluten, I call the manufacturer to check whether they make other gluten containing foods on the same line. I'm always, without fail, told that they do a thorough cleaning between product production, but I know that this does not mean that there won't be contamination. Its amazing how some reps at the companies I've called know almost nothing about gluten.

Regarding Hersheys I spoke to one of their reps about a year ago, and from what I recall, was told that the only gluten free products are the three listed above. This rep also told me that they can not provide me with a list of gluten free products. At that time I was not aware of my sensitivity to contamination so I was a much less educated consumer. I was just calling because the kisses I had were a gift and did not have a label with ingredients. I do recall being frustrated with them, but was happy to hear that I can eat the kisses.

I'm writing to encourage celiac patients who are sensitive to contamination to call manufacturers when in doubt. I also believe that the more we call them the closer we will be to a world where labeling ALL ingredients on ALL food & medicine products is mandated. I want them to be sick of hearing from us.

I recently called the company that makes GAS-X and when the guy on the phone told me he can't confirm whether there is or is not gluten in any of their products I almost lost it on him. He was very nice and told me that he is happy to hear from me & wrote down the fact that I am a celiac patient with a complaint about their insensitivity to our need for labeling ingredients because, he said, "we are very close to starting to label our products with ingredients and the more complaints we get the closer we get to it. We as consumers do have the power if we use it."

All the best to all of you,

Sarah

• 1 month later...
bincongo Contributor

I know this topic has been around awhile and I sure it has because Reece's peanut butter cups are so good that we don't want to give them up. I LOVE the dark chocolate ones. I ate the full sized ones and have not had any problems but then I do not have a lot of symptoms to began with. Lately I tried the small dark chocolate ones and for some reason I seemed to have some symptoms with them. I can't be certain but since the dark chocolate ones are new I am wondering if they are different. The label does not indicate any gluten ingredent. Has anyone noticed this or is it in my head.

Also I am finding it difficult to get the full size ones. It seems all my stores only stock the small ones now in the dark chocolate.

• 3 weeks later...
Coolclimates Collaborator

does anyone know if the small size regular ones are safe? I seem to be very sensitive to CC, but don't have any instant reaction (it just seems to wear down my immune system over time). Really conflicted as to whether I should eat it or not...

Lisa Mentor

does anyone know if the small size regular ones are safe? I seem to be very sensitive to CC, but don't have any instant reaction (it just seems to wear down my immune system over time). Really conflicted as to whether I should eat it or not...

Don't waste your time being in conflict!

When in doubt, don't! A particular *treat* is not really important if you can find an alternative. I love Dove candies. The good thing is....that LIFE IF FULL OF OPTIONS! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

Don't waste your time being in conflict!

When in doubt, don't! A particular *treat* is not really important if you can find an alternative. I love Dove candies. The good thing is....that LIFE IF FULL OF OPTIONS! :D

I agree. No treat is worth the possibility of inviting trouble. When I last spoke with the company they told me that none of the Reese's peanut butter cups could be guaranteed to be gluten-free (and she admitted that the lines are not cleaned as well as they should be!). That was enough for me. I handed them over to my husband.

Coolclimates Collaborator

Ok, thanks for letting me know. I won't eat any in the future until they are more clear about their policies. I can't stand companies who are so vague and unhelpful!

• 2 months later...
jami9050 Newbie

I was looking through google for information on if this product was gluten free and of course came across this forum again first. I'm starting to really enjoy this! I was reading about the poster that has a sever sensitivity to even cross contamination (sp?) and I feel for them. I also have this problem. I'm not officially told that I have wheat intolerance but I made a change to eat gluten free about 5yrs ago and KNOW I have it from testing out even just eating a sandwich... mostly end up with stomach flu type stuff from bathroom issues to being tired to stomach aches and what not.

I was also reading the one post mentioning about not giving up the wonderful goodness of these treats. I'm American born and raise but I moved to Belgium just a bit over 10years ago. I've been eating gluten free for about 5yrs now (roughly). English is not my first language any more so bare with me on spelling errors please.

For those that are as sensitive as me to even stuff like CC... I have made HOME-MADE peanutbutter cups that I think can far out weigh these if you really love chocolate + peanut butter as much as I do. I've even posted it in a new gluten free blog that I started a couple months ago and intend to do them again soon (have all the ingredients at hand ready for it too) as I've found myself a mini muffin pan to make them in instead of the beast of a normal muffin pan (1 will kill a horse with as big as they are when they are made with a full sized pan!).

Recipe for home-made peanut butter cups (only thing to remember is to keep them in the fridge for storage as the chocolate won't keep set if left to sit... it'll become all soft and not pretty).

Ingredients

Peanut Butter Filling Mixture

♥ 1/2 cup creamy or chunky peanut butter (see tip #6)

♥ 5 tsp butter, softened/room temperature

♥ 1/2 cup powdered sugar

Chocolate Mixture

♥ 2 cups (12 oz) semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips

♥ 1 cup (6oz) milk chocolate chips (pure milk chocolate candy bars will work too)

♥ 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (see tip #7

Directions

Prepare peanut butter filling mixture by simply whisking together the peanut butter, butter and powdered sugar until lighter in colour and combined well. Set aside for now.

In a double boiler, place both kinds of chocolate and the creamy peanut butter and melt slowly. Please see tip #8 for information on why NOT to use a microwave for this part.

Now comes the messy but fun part. Grab your muffin tin (mini or regular sized), make sure you have them lined. Fill each spot about 1/2 way up and stop. Get that peanut butter filling mixture and place a nice spoonful right in the centre of that chocolate. What you are looking for is a nice yummy drop of peanut butter filling to land right in the centre so that you see a bit of chocolate sticking out the sides. Then cover with more chocolate mixture just until you have covered up that yummy peanut butter filling *licks off fingers*.

Stick the finished pan in the fridge for about 1 hour or until firm enough to remove them from the pan and then rinse and repeat with the remaining filling and chocolate mixture.

There is more to the recipe in the way of tips and photos (I'm a photo-hollic) on the blog! I loved this recipe the first time I made it and if you have a spare hour or 2, I'd very much recommend making these. They do stay for a while in the fridge but they do NOT freeze well! It's chocolate remember, it's even good that they stay well in the fridge without an issue.

love2travel Mentor

I was looking through google for information on if this product was gluten free and of course came across this forum again first. I'm starting to really enjoy this! I was reading about the poster that has a sever sensitivity to even cross contamination (sp?) and I feel for them. I also have this problem. I'm not officially told that I have wheat intolerance but I made a change to eat gluten free about 5yrs ago and KNOW I have it from testing out even just eating a sandwich... mostly end up with stomach flu type stuff from bathroom issues to being tired to stomach aches and what not.

I was also reading the one post mentioning about not giving up the wonderful goodness of these treats. I'm American born and raise but I moved to Belgium just a bit over 10years ago. I've been eating gluten free for about 5yrs now (roughly). English is not my first language any more so bare with me on spelling errors please.

For those that are as sensitive as me to even stuff like CC... I have made HOME-MADE peanutbutter cups that I think can far out weigh these if you really love chocolate + peanut butter as much as I do. I've even posted it in a new gluten free blog that I started a couple months ago and intend to do them again soon (have all the ingredients at hand ready for it too) as I've found myself a mini muffin pan to make them in instead of the beast of a normal muffin pan (1 will kill a horse with as big as they are when they are made with a full sized pan!).

Recipe for home-made peanut butter cups (only thing to remember is to keep them in the fridge for storage as the chocolate won't keep set if left to sit... it'll become all soft and not pretty).

Ingredients

♥ 1/2 cup powdered sugar

Chocolate Mixture

♥ 1 cup (6oz) milk chocolate chips (pure milk chocolate candy bars will work too)

Directions

Prepare peanut butter filling mixture by simply whisking together the peanut butter, butter and powdered sugar until lighter in colour and combined well. Set aside for now.

In a double boiler, place both kinds of chocolate and the creamy peanut butter and melt slowly. Please see tip #8 for information on why NOT to use a microwave for this part.

Now comes the messy but fun part. Grab your muffin tin (mini or regular sized), make sure you have them lined. Fill each spot about 1/2 way up and stop. Get that peanut butter filling mixture and place a nice spoonful right in the centre of that chocolate. What you are looking for is a nice yummy drop of peanut butter filling to land right in the centre so that you see a bit of chocolate sticking out the sides. Then cover with more chocolate mixture just until you have covered up that yummy peanut butter filling *licks off fingers*.

Stick the finished pan in the fridge for about 1 hour or until firm enough to remove them from the pan and then rinse and repeat with the remaining filling and chocolate mixture.

There is more to the recipe in the way of tips and photos (I'm a photo-hollic) on the blog! I loved this recipe the first time I made it and if you have a spare hour or 2, I'd very much recommend making these. They do stay for a while in the fridge but they do NOT freeze well! It's chocolate remember, it's even good that they stay well in the fridge without an issue.

You think like me. If there is something I want I find a way to make it gluten-free! :D Homemade is always better.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I was looking through google for information on if this product was gluten free and of course came across this forum again first. I'm starting to really enjoy this! I was reading about the poster that has a sever sensitivity to even cross contamination (sp?) and I feel for them. I also have this problem. I'm not officially told that I have wheat intolerance but I made a change to eat gluten free about

5yrs ago and KNOW I have it from testing out even just eating a sandwich... mostly end up with stomach flu type stuff from bathroom issues to being tired to stomach aches and what not.

I was also reading the one post mentioning about not giving up the wonderful goodness of these treats. I'm

American born and raise but I moved to Belgium just a bit over 10years ago. I've been eating gluten free for about 5yrs now (roughly). English is not my first language any more so bare with me on spelling errors please.

Ingredients

♥ 1/2 cup powdered sugar

Chocolate Mixture

Directions

Stick the finished pan in the fridge for about 1 hour or until firm enough to remove them from the pan and then rinse

and repeat with the remaining filling and chocolate mixture.

There is more to the recipe in the way of tips and photos (I'm a photo-hollic) on the blog! I loved this recipe the first time I made it and if you have a spare hour or 2, I'd very much recommend making these. They do stay for a while in the fridge but they do NOT freeze well! It's chocolate

remember, it's even good that they stay well in the fridge without an issue.

I used to make pb cups at home for myself when my son was a baby and had milk and soy problems. Yummy!

• 5 months later...
gluten-freeK Newbie

Greetings, everyone! This thread is a bit old, but I thought I'd update everyone on its topic. The Hershey Company has put out a gluten-free list of candies and candy bars. Check this website, and enjoy life with a little less worry.

http://www.thehersheycompany.com/brands/special-nutrition.aspx#/Gluten-Free

kareng Grand Master

Greetings, everyone! This thread is a bit old, but I thought I'd update everyone on its topic. The Hershey Company has put out a gluten-free list of candies and candy bars. Check this website, and enjoy life with a little less worry.

This is great! Thank you!

birdie22 Enthusiast

Hmmm...I wonder what excludes the seasonal shaped RPBCs? I know I've eaten an xmas tree and a heart in the past 4 months and looked at the ingredients first. Maybe just cc risk if processing on a different line?

• 6 months later...
MadisonDupras Newbie
A frank Newbie

YES they are! Www.the hersheycompany.com has a detailed gluten free list and Reese's peanut butter cups are gluten-free, all except for seasonal items. Go to home page, search for Reese's, and then click on peanut butter cups. The page will come up and on the bottom left side is where you can click for a gluten-free list. Enjoy your candy!

• 2 months later...
chronicbabejenni Newbie

update: i just saw on the hershey's website that they ARE gluten-free. here's their most updated list:

• 2 weeks later...
atbama Newbie

As of March 29, 2012, all Reece's peanut butter cups are gluten-free EXCEPT seasonal-shaped ones.

Hershey now has a special section on their website for gluten-free diets at http://www.thehershe...px#/Gluten-Free and I'm copying the information I found there which includes other Hershey products that are gluten-free. However, go to the link to ensure you're getting the most updated list and always double-check the packaging for a change as an extra safe-guard.

Hershey is committed to providing products that meet your dietary needs, and many people today are interested in gluten-free foods.

A food bearing a gluten-free claim does not contain the protein from wheat, rye, barley, spelt, kamut, triticole, farina, vital gluten semolina, malt vinegar or protein derivatives of these foods.

For your convenience, the current products listed below have been fully evaluated and qualify as gluten free using standards proposed by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Please note this list is not all inclusive as we have other gluten-free confections.

The best way to determine if our products contain a gluten ingredient is to read our product label. This label includes an accurate, current listing of the ingredients in our products. Because, on occasion, the list of ingredients can change, we strongly encourage you to check the ingredient label on the package each time before you make a purchase.

Last updated March 29th, 2012

ALMOND JOY and MOUNDS Bars - ALL

HERSHEY'S - BAKING Chips

HERSHEY'SButterscotch Chips

HERSHEY'SCinnamon Chips

HERSHEY'SKISSES MINI KISSES Milk Chocolate

HERSHEY'SMilk Chocolate Chips

HERSHEY'SMINI CHIPS Semi-Sweet Chocolate

HERSHEY'SPremier White Chips

HERSHEY'SSemi Sweet Chocolate Chips

HERSHEY'SSPECIAL DARK Chips

HERSHEY'SSUGAR FREE Chocolate Chips

REESE'SPeanut Butter Chips

HERSHEY'S - Baking Bars

HERSHEY'SSemi Sweet Baking Bar

HERSHEY'S - Cocoa

HERSHEY'SCocoa

HERSHEY'SSPECIAL DARK Cocoa

DAGOBA Baking and Beverages - ALL

HEATH Bars - ALL

HERSHEY'S KISSES and NUGGETS

HERSHEY'SKISSES Milk Chocolate

HERSHEY'SKISSES Filled Chocolates - ALL

HERSHEY'SNUGGETS Candies - ALL

HERSHEY'S Milk Chocolate Bar

HERSHEY'SMilk Chocolate Bar (1.55oz only)

HERSHEY'SMilk Chocolate with Almonds Bar (1.45oz only)

HERSHEY'S Syrup and REESE'S Toppings

HERSHEY'SCaramel Syrup

HERSHEY'SChocolate Syrup

HERSHEY'SChocolate Syrup with Calcium

HERSHEY'SChocolate Sugar Free Syrup

HERSHEY'SLite Chocolate Syrup

HERSHEY'SSPECIAL DARK Syrup

HERSHEY'SStrawberry Syrup

REESE'SChocolate Peanut Butter Topping

REESE'S Peanut Butter Cups – ALL Except Seasonal Shaped Items

SCHARFFEN BERGER – ALL

SKOR

SKORToffee Bar

YORK Peppermint Pattie - ALL

• 1 month later...
kaywheels Newbie
bubbleelise Newbie

I was just on the website for Heshey and yes Reese Peanut butter cups are gluten free. Here is the link for the page that I was on. http://www.thehersheycompany.com/brands/special-nutrition.aspx#/Gluten-Free

I just got off of the phone with a customer service representative from Hershey's. They do have a gluten free list, but do not post it on their website and are unable to email a printed copy because it changes so often. As of today, the only Hershey's candies which are gluten free are:

1. Hershey's kisses

2. Hershey's 1.55 ounce chocolate bar

3. Hershey's chocolate bar with almonds

I specifically asked about Reese's peanut butter cups, and was told that they are not gluten free. Just wanted to get the word out.

psawyer Proficient

The last four posts all shared the same link (which had been provided in some older posts as well).

• 3 months later...
Snlane40 Newbie

Yes it's very unfortunate that some people are extremely sensitive to very small amounts of gluten. I feel for you as it must make life even more difficult.

For practical purposes however, we need some way to identify products that contain gluten ingredients, and those that don't. An additional (but separate) category are products that do not contain gluten ingredients, but are made on shared lines, or in a facility that also processes wheat.

The regular and snack size RPBC would be in the first category. They do not contain gluten ingredients and therefore should be safe for most celiacs. If the phone representative is to be believed, they potentially could be risky for extremely sensitive Celiacs due to being processed on shared lines.

Potential cross contamination. Now that's a whole nuther subject!

best regards, lm

I'm new to this whole celiac & gluten free thing. Thankfully mine is just mild at this point. I haven't gotten sick from eating Reese's cups before & I've been eating them often. I mostly get sick when I eat a lot of things with flour or wheat in them. For example, cake makes me sick & bloated. Mine didn't start until after I had my addendum taken out. I usually look at the label & if it doesn't state there's gluten in the product I can get by with eating it with getting very sick. I've been hospitalized several times with these symptoms but it took them years to figure it out. I'm glad I found this forum.

• 2 years later...
Nancynancy Newbie

It's on their web-site as gluten free.  Some of the unwrapped specialty items are not gluten free but the regular cups are.

kareng Grand Master

It's on their web-site as gluten free.  Some of the unwrapped specialty items are not gluten free but the regular cups are.

This thread is from 2011.  I think they were gluten free even then & there was a big discussion as you can see.  However, info that is this old should be re-checked as ingredients change over time.

I eat Reeses pb cups with no problem.

Archived