18 replies to this topic

#1 CantWeight

CantWeight

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:24 PM

I just ate 365 Organic Refried Black Beans and am having a gluten reaction. The other day I used El Presido Organic Black Beans (something? bought at Whole Foods) and they seemed fine. I cannot seem to find a can of black beans labled gluten-free, can anyone help? I am off of a bunch more foods lately so this was a tasty way to have some carby protein. It is def the beans and def gluten reaction.

I'm dreading when I have to cut out more foods, I imagine a day when I won't be able to eat anything. I hate Celiac Disease. :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:28 PM

I buy S&W black beans as well as Bush's

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#3 Kelly777

Kelly777

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:50 PM

Some people on this site have said they couldn't eat canned beans until after they were gluten free for quite some time. They had to make their beans from scratch. I've had horrible problems with canned beans so the next time I will just make my own and add vinegar to take some of the gas effects away. It is probably better anyway.

#4 gleegan

gleegan

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:29 AM

Actually, this topic has been on my mind a lot lately. I don't eat canned beans. However, I have even had a huge problem finding dry beans and lentils that don't make me nervous. Twice recently, I have bought lentils - dry, in a manufacturer's bag - and gotten home only to notice that the back of the bag says "may contain wheat and soy"! This is so unbelievably weird and annoying to me - I didn't even THINK about checking the bag for warnings of this kind. After all, it's just lentils in a bag! What need is there for wheat or soy? The first bag I bought was Goya; the second was organic lentils from Wegmans (which really shocked me). I plan on complaining to both of these companies. What's next - will apples have stickers on them that say "may contain wheat and soy"??? :angry:
Self diagnosed because the doctors couldn't/wouldn't.

Dairy free - 2006
Gluten free - 2007
Soy free - 2008
Yeast free - 2009
Sugar free - 2009 (even cut out all fruit for a year, but now able to eat many fruits again)

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:32 AM

There generally aren't facilities that ONLY PACKAGE LENTILS. Grains are small, they get places. Cleaning practices help, but unless you ban wheat from the whole facility, the equipment that harvests it, and everything else along the line, there's contamination risk. And if you want all the separate equipment, be prepared to spend about four times as much to pay for all of that.

I know it's darn annoying, but that's reality.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,769 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:04 PM

There generally aren't facilities that ONLY PACKAGE LENTILS. Grains are small, they get places. Cleaning practices help, but unless you ban wheat from the whole facility, the equipment that harvests it, and everything else along the line, there's contamination risk. And if you want all the separate equipment, be prepared to spend about four times as much to pay for all of that.

I know it's darn annoying, but that's reality.

I agree. I just carefully rinse and sort them before I use. Most bags even say to sort to look for rocks. I have on occasion found a pebble but as of yet have not found a wheat grain. I appretiate the companies like Wegmans that tell us of the risk.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#7 RideAllWays

RideAllWays

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:49 PM

I wasn't aware that normal canned black beans packed in water are not gluten free?

#8 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,242 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:52 PM

I wasn't aware that normal canned black beans packed in water are not gluten free?

They are gluten-free. The op was looking for some that said "gluten-free". Then they started talking about dried lentils which it appears you have to wash and sort thru well.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#9 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:09 PM

Not everything we buy has to say gluten-free on it or we'd be spending an enormous amount of time shopping and probably spend a lot more money than we already do. But we still have to read all those labels...
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#10 gleegan

gleegan

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:16 AM

I agree. I just carefully rinse and sort them before I use. Most bags even say to sort to look for rocks. I have on occasion found a pebble but as of yet have not found a wheat grain. I appretiate the companies like Wegmans that tell us of the risk.

I see the point that you and others have made. I hadn't thought about it that way. I guess I wish they would word it by saying either that wheat and soy are also packaged in the same factory or that they share the same equipment. When they say "may contain" - it sounded to me like they were purposefully throwing some in for some reason. That probably sounds paranoid :blink: but I am just so nervous of getting glutened. I actually do pay more for the Wegman's organic beans, so I wish that I could not have to worry at all when I'm making that investment. However, I am relieved by these comments and will simply rinse the beans well in the future...
Self diagnosed because the doctors couldn't/wouldn't.

Dairy free - 2006
Gluten free - 2007
Soy free - 2008
Yeast free - 2009
Sugar free - 2009 (even cut out all fruit for a year, but now able to eat many fruits again)

#11 carlaspacher

carlaspacher

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:00 AM

La Preferida black beans are gluten free and they are their refried black beans are the best I've ever had! They are so good that I just ordered some on Walmart.com, an entire case of 12 cans for something like $21.20. The sales rep at a trade show, Natural Products Expo West, explained that because they can verify the source of the ingredients they promote them as gluten free, where as some of their other items they do not promote as gluten free.

#12 jeanzdyn

jeanzdyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

why not buy dry black beans? you just soak them overnight and then cook them. it's really easy.

I do not like food that comes out of cans. The only canned food I do eat is gluten free 'baked' beans.
What is food to one man may be fierce poison to others. —--Lucretius

I miss bread! But I love Kinnikinnick gluten free pizza crust.

Diagnosed celiac disease: November 2011 (biopsy and endoscopy)
other conditions: asthma, arthritis

#13 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

Because of shared packaging equipment, it's not uncommon to find a grain or two of something in a bag of dried beans, peas, or lentils, so it wouldn't surprise me if some of that made its way into canned beans. I will buy the dry beans/peas/lentils, pour them into a dish, sort through them to pick out anything that isn't supposed to be there, then repeatedly wash them under running water before cooking them. I tell myself that this will wash away any gluten dust, and most of the time it seems to be fine. I don't want to skip split pea soup for the rest of my life, so this is how I handle it.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#14 RonSchon

RonSchon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:32 PM

From their website.....

Gluten-Free Products
Our products are gluten-free so everyone can enjoy them!
All BUSH'S products made after May, 2010 are gluten-free.

We have recently reformulated our Chili Beans products and our Chili Magic Chili Starter products to no longer contain wheat flour. The ingredient statements on these products now state Modified Corn Starch. Due to store inventory rotation and other elements beyond our control, we still urge you to check the labels before consuming these products if you have gluten restrictions.

We do use cornstarch in some of our products, but it does not contain gliadin gluten from wheat, barley, oats, or rye grains, which may cause adverse responses in persons suffering from Celiac Sprue. Any vinegar used in our products is corn-based and distilled.

#15 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

I have found oats and wheat kernels in dried lentils and beans unfortunately. :angry:
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: