This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Are Sympoms Worse After Not Ingesting Gluten And Then Ingesting It?

littlekimmie

littlekimmie Newbie

I've been a celiac for almost a year now and have been scared to ingest any gluten . Not only because of the symptoms but also because of the long term effects. I havent intentionally ingested gluten this whole time. I think I have experienced the cross contamination tho. But never intentionally ate gluten . What will happen if I do eat a fair amount ? Will my symptoms freak out ?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hnybny91 Rookie

I had 100's of symptoms when I was ingesting gluten but one of them was NOT vomiting. I got glutened off of a supposidly gluten free menu at a restaurant and half way through the meal I had to run to the bathroom to throw up. I have heard others say the symptoms are worse once you rid your body of gluten too.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

For me the effects are much worse with heavy accidental injestion than before I went gluten free. My intestines never bled before I went gluten free but now if I accidentally get a good dose of it I bleed for days. I am very careful with my diet for that reason.

Is something tempting you to 'cheat'? If so please post what you are craving in either the coping or food section and chances are someone can give you a good gluten free alternative.

littlekimmie Newbie

I had 100's of symptoms when I was ingesting gluten but one of them was NOT vomiting. I got glutened off of a supposidly gluten free menu at a restaurant and half way through the meal I had to run to the bathroom to throw up. I have heard others say the symptoms are worse once you rid your body of gluten too.

I had a feeling that the symptoms might get worse after not exposing your body to gluten . I was just hopping they didnt. Vomiting has never been a symptom of mine eather , but ive only been a celiac for a year. do you mind if i ask how long it took your body to heal ?

littlekimmie Newbie

I was hopping that the symptoms would get easier, but it makes sence that the body would react more drastically after not being exposed for so long.ive never experienced vomiting but i do experiance severe nausea and cant keep my eyes focused almost every time ive been glutened.I know within 15 minutes if ive had any gluten. but it has always been small amounts accidentally. I havent had cravings yet. yeah i miss some things but knowing if i eat it my health will be damaged helps me say no. But thank you id love some new recipies.i havent got very many since im a newbie. id love to hear about both of your experiences as celiacs if you wouldnt mind sharing.Im the only celiac in my family and dont know a whole lot about it.thankyou so much for your comments :)

sa1937 Community Regular

But thank you id love some new recipies.i havent got very many since im a newbie.

Have you checked the Gluten-Free Recipes - Baking & Cooking Tips section of the forum? Or you can post your question there as to what kind of recipes you're looking for.

hnybny91 Rookie

I had a feeling that the symptoms might get worse after not exposing your body to gluten . I was just hopping they didnt. Vomiting has never been a symptom of mine eather , but ive only been a celiac for a year. do you mind if i ask how long it took your body to heal ?

Oh, i have only been gluten free for about six weeks and this incident was two weeks ago. I am not completely healed yet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
dumbfounded Newbie

I'm new to this whole Celiac Disease, but I am amazed at how helpful all you people are....... reading and learning about this has helped me keep my sanity Thank you,Thank you Thank you

bear 62 Newbie

WOW god bless you and your family!!

• 11 months later...
Candicep Newbie

I was wondering the same thing! I went gluten free for the first time recently. I went for about two weeks. I grabbed a bite of popcorn from the movie theater thinking that it would be safe. Not long after my throat felt kinda like it was tighter... Not like an allergy...just felt weird. Within an hour or so my stomach bloated up like crazy/hurt. It felt like there was a bowling ball in my belly. And THEN later on that night my boyfriend saw that I had this weird rash all over my back!! Ive never had that symptom before! So I looked up info on the popcorn. It said that some popcorn salts/butters might contain gluten through means such as artificial flavorings etc. Anyhoo...the rash thing was new and thats why I was wondering if my body was freaking out more than normal because it was used to being gluten free.

kareng Grand Master

I was wondering the same thing! I went gluten free for the first time recently. I went for about two weeks. I grabbed a bite of popcorn from the movie theater thinking that it would be safe. Not long after my throat felt kinda like it was tighter... Not like an allergy...just felt weird. Within an hour or so my stomach bloated up like crazy/hurt. It felt like there was a bowling ball in my belly. And THEN later on that night my boyfriend saw that I had this weird rash all over my back!! Ive never had that symptom before! So I looked up info on the popcorn. It said that some popcorn salts/butters might contain gluten through means such as artificial flavorings etc. Anyhoo...the rash thing was new and thats why I was wondering if my body was freaking out more than normal because it was used to being gluten free.

Actually, most, if not all movie theater popcorn and fake butter is gluten-free. What's in the fake butter might be scary.

Open Original Shared Link

Also, in the US you can't " hide" wheat. It must be declared in the ingredients. It's really not that sneaky.

Candicep Newbie

Actually, most, if not all movie theater popcorn and fake butter is gluten-free. What's in the fake butter might be scary.

Open Original Shared Link

Also, in the US you can't " hide" wheat. It must be declared in the ingredients. It's really not that sneaky.

Yeah Ive read most is safe. I was at a non-chain movie theater so i'm wondering what they used on it. After the reaction I saw lots of sites saying the flavorings etc could be a problem. Im not sure since im still new to this but thats the only thing I ate at the time. So now i'm scared of trying out the mom and pop places, lol. I guess I should stick to Cinemark.

• 1 month later...
cavernio Enthusiast

Yes your symptoms can get worse.

In fact, I recall reading a thread just the other day on the forum that had a link to an abstract to a paper. The thread was about wishing some treatment used on mice were available for people to use, since the results were promising.

When I read the abstract, I was actually more surprised about how they got gluten sensitive mice to use for the study. They bred 3 generations of mice that didn't eat any gluten...

WendyLee Rookie

I'm new to this whole Celiac Disease, but I am amazed at how helpful all you people are....... reading and learning about this has helped me keep my sanity Thank you,Thank you Thank you

May I just "ditto" this message? :)

JustNana Apprentice

dumbfounded and Wendy Lee

I could not agree more. I was just diagnosed with Celiac, Dermatitis Hepetiformis and Hashimoto's all within the last 7 weeks. My Dr gave me a list of resources and this forum was on it. I am so grateful. Aside from one friend, who now lives in another state, I knew no one with Celiac. The people here have given me so much information, hope and inspiration. I can't imagine what it would have been like to have Celiac disease 20 years ago with no gluten-free products to speak of, no support groups and no Internet to access it all!

The whole lifestyle change is tough enough but going it alone would be terrifying. Thank you all from the bottom of my achy, itchy, depressed but hopeful heart!!!!!!!

JustNana Apprentice

ravenwood,

Do you mind me asking how you know if you are having intestinal bleeds in your small intestine? How scary for you.

• 2 months later...
alwaysafter8 Newbie

ravenwood,

Do you mind me asking how you know if you are having intestinal bleeds in your small intestine? How scary for you.

I'm not ravenwood, but I get internal bleeding from gluten too.. basically when you go to the bathroom there's blood. For me, a pretty significant amount (sorry TMI). Or you can have blood showing up in your stool, it makes your stool look black & 'tarry'.

Before I was diagnosed I lived exclusively on gluten, not even kidding. I couldn't get enough. I had lots of symptoms, but none immediately after eating. Now, since I have been gluten free I have the same symptoms when I eat gluten, but much more intense & symptoms I haven't had before, too. I can tell halfway through the meal if there is any gluten in it. In a way I've come to look at it as a good thing; at least I know right away.

Chad Sines Rising Star

That is interesting. My understanding was the bleeding was a sign that the issue is not celiac but something else like crohns.

• 3 weeks later...
heathenly Apprentice

I was wondering the exact same thing and was about to post before I saw this thread. I was gluten-free for a little over two weeks as a "home test," and had to start eating gluten again (for medical testing purposes) beginning last Friday. I am so much more miserable now than I recall being before. I know I was already reaping the benefits of increased energy, no bloating/pain/nausea, etc. when I was off gluten, so there's definitely the comparative aspect (knowing the difference between feeling great/feeling bleh)... but I think, even taking that component out, that symptoms after re-glutening are more intense and misery-making. Mine seem to be, anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
nomoregluten Newbie

for me at least symptoms are more severe when keeping to the diet strict and then cheating. still not eating gluten feels like a much better choice to me.

• 1 month later...
PrettyCeliac Newbie

It will completely depend on your own body. Mine tends to freak out when I have large amounts of gluten and I get very severe joint paint with a mirgraine but it doesn't always come with a stomach ache. The joint pain is a new phenomena for me as I usually have IBS and other stomach problems.

It might take days/weeks for your body to heal completely after ingesting gluten.

Rebecca

• 3 months later...
kbenj1 Newbie

I am new to the gluten free diet, and still trying to figure out exactly what is wrong with me. I have started a gluten free diet as a trial, and after going completely gluten free for two weeks I accidentally ingested some gluten in a rotisserie chicken. I had the same throat problem as you! I thought I was crazy! It felt like I had something stuck in my throat. And my stomach got really distended like I was 3 months pregnant, cramped like crazy, and I thought for sure I was going to throw up. It's reassuring to read that I am not the only one going through this

susiq Newbie

I know everyone's body is diffrent but for me my symptoms are more severe the longer it has been between accidental ingestion. This last time was extremely painful. I had all of my normal symptoms of gluten ingestion- too many to list- but this time in addition to my usual post gluten kidney infection i now have an outbreak of shingles. So to me it's not worth the few moments of guilty pleasure.

Archived