Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Are Sympoms Worse After Not Ingesting Gluten And Then Ingesting It?

• Please log in to reply

22 replies to this topic

#16 JustNana

JustNana

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

ravenwood,

Do you mind me asking how you know if you are having intestinal bleeds in your small intestine? How scary for you.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 alwaysafter8

alwaysafter8

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:18 PM

ravenwood,

Do you mind me asking how you know if you are having intestinal bleeds in your small intestine? How scary for you.

I'm not ravenwood, but I get internal bleeding from gluten too.. basically when you go to the bathroom there's blood. For me, a pretty significant amount (sorry TMI). Or you can have blood showing up in your stool, it makes your stool look black & 'tarry'.

Before I was diagnosed I lived exclusively on gluten, not even kidding. I couldn't get enough. I had lots of symptoms, but none immediately after eating. Now, since I have been gluten free I have the same symptoms when I eat gluten, but much more intense & symptoms I haven't had before, too. I can tell halfway through the meal if there is any gluten in it. In a way I've come to look at it as a good thing; at least I know right away.

#18 Chad Sines

Chad Sines

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:55 AM

That is interesting. My understanding was the bleeding was a sign that the issue is not celiac but something else like crohns.

#19 heathenly

heathenly

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:58 PM

I was wondering the exact same thing and was about to post before I saw this thread. I was gluten-free for a little over two weeks as a "home test," and had to start eating gluten again (for medical testing purposes) beginning last Friday. I am so much more miserable now than I recall being before. I know I was already reaping the benefits of increased energy, no bloating/pain/nausea, etc. when I was off gluten, so there's definitely the comparative aspect (knowing the difference between feeling great/feeling bleh)... but I think, even taking that component out, that symptoms after re-glutening are more intense and misery-making. Mine seem to be, anyway.

#20 nomoregluten

nomoregluten

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:33 PM

for me at least symptoms are more severe when keeping to the diet strict and then cheating. still not eating gluten feels like a much better choice to me.

#21 PrettyCeliac

PrettyCeliac

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

It will completely depend on your own body. Mine tends to freak out when I have large amounts of gluten and I get very severe joint paint with a mirgraine but it doesn't always come with a stomach ache. The joint pain is a new phenomena for me as I usually have IBS and other stomach problems.

It might take days/weeks for your body to heal completely after ingesting gluten.

Rebecca
Rebecca Black

#22 kbenj1

kbenj1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

I was wondering the same thing! I went gluten free for the first time recently. I went for about two weeks. I grabbed a bite of popcorn from the movie theater thinking that it would be safe. Not long after my throat felt kinda like it was tighter... Not like an allergy...just felt weird. Within an hour or so my stomach bloated up like crazy/hurt. It felt like there was a bowling ball in my belly. And THEN later on that night my boyfriend saw that I had this weird rash all over my back!! Ive never had that symptom before! So I looked up info on the popcorn. It said that some popcorn salts/butters might contain gluten through means such as artificial flavorings etc. Anyhoo...the rash thing was new and thats why I was wondering if my body was freaking out more than normal because it was used to being gluten free.

I am new to the gluten free diet, and still trying to figure out exactly what is wrong with me. I have started a gluten free diet as a trial, and after going completely gluten free for two weeks I accidentally ingested some gluten in a rotisserie chicken. I had the same throat problem as you! I thought I was crazy! It felt like I had something stuck in my throat. And my stomach got really distended like I was 3 months pregnant, cramped like crazy, and I thought for sure I was going to throw up. It's reassuring to read that I am not the only one going through this

#23 susiq

susiq

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

I know everyone's body is diffrent but for me my symptoms are more severe the longer it has been between accidental ingestion. This last time was extremely painful. I had all of my normal symptoms of gluten ingestion- too many to list- but this time in addition to my usual post gluten kidney infection i now have an outbreak of shingles. So to me it's not worth the few moments of guilty pleasure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: