Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

gluten-free/lf Cookies...but They Made Me Sick?

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 Ox on the Roof

Ox on the Roof

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:53 PM

Hey, all!

I have been very strict with gluten-free and LF lately, and was craving some kind of dessert. So I double-checked the ingredients in Hodgson Mill gluten-free cookie mix and then made a batch. I am 99% sure that these cookies made me sick, as I was monitoring everything else I ate. And I ate one again this afternoon to confirm. :o

So here are the ingredients I used. Any ideas on what secondary intolerance I may be looking at?

Mix Ingredients:

Brown Rice Flour, Sugar, Tapioca Starch, Amaranth Flour, Cornstarch, Baking Soda, Xanthan Gum, Flake Salt

I added Best Life Buttery Spread, which boldly claims to be gluten-free and LF:

WATER, NATURAL OIL BLEND (SOYBEAN AND PALM FRUIT OILS), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% SALT, PROTEIN, NATURAL FLAVOR, MONOGLYCERIDES OF VEGETABLE FATTY ACIDS, SORBITAN ESTER OF VEGETABLE FATTY ACIDS, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, DL-a-TOCOPHERYL ACETATE (VITAMIN E), BETA CAROTENE COLOR, VITAMIN D3, LACTIC ACID, POTASSIUM SORBATE, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA TO PROTECT FRESHNESS.

I also added Crisco shortening:

SOYBEAN OIL, FULLY HYDROGENATED PALM OIL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED PALM AND SOYBEAN OILS, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID (ANTIOXIDANTS).

And some pure Nestle cocoa powder and granulated white sugar.

Thoughts? I am wondering about the soy, although I've never noticed having trouble with it before.

Thanks!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:19 PM

Hey, all!

I have been very strict with gluten-free and LF lately, and was craving some kind of dessert. So I double-checked the ingredients in Hodgson Mill gluten-free cookie mix and then made a batch. I am 99% sure that these cookies made me sick, as I was monitoring everything else I ate. And I ate one again this afternoon to confirm. :o

So here are the ingredients I used. Any ideas on what secondary intolerance I may be looking at?

Mix Ingredients:

Brown Rice Flour, Sugar, Tapioca Starch, Amaranth Flour, Cornstarch, Baking Soda, Xanthan Gum, Flake Salt

WATER, NATURAL OIL BLEND (SOYBEAN AND PALM FRUIT OILS), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% SALT, PROTEIN, NATURAL FLAVOR, MONOGLYCERIDES OF VEGETABLE FATTY ACIDS, SORBITAN ESTER OF VEGETABLE FATTY ACIDS, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, DL-a-TOCOPHERYL ACETATE (VITAMIN E), BETA CAROTENE COLOR, VITAMIN D3, LACTIC ACID, POTASSIUM SORBATE, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA TO PROTECT FRESHNESS.

SOYBEAN OIL, FULLY HYDROGENATED PALM OIL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED PALM AND SOYBEAN OILS, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID (ANTIOXIDANTS).

Thoughts? I am wondering about the soy, although I've never noticed having trouble with it before.

Thanks!!!

It could be a number of things, I know Tapioca would do it for me. Others are very sensitive to soy, as am I. Also, all the partially hydrogenated oils may be hard to digest if you're still healing. It you find this happens often with processed foods, it may be best to go back to the basics until you're fully healed.
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2009 Low T3 thyroid hormone, muscle twitching and adrenal fatigue
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
2005 - Thought I had wheat "allergy." Stopped eating bread, oats problem too
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom
Teenage years - Stomach pain prompted veganism -> BIG mistake!
Child - Awful gas, D, C. Chronic infections, appendix and tonsils removed

#3 Ox on the Roof

Ox on the Roof

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:40 PM

Looking, I felt terrible just listing all those ingredients, because I've been eating mostly whole foods. But I've been eyeballing the Oreos and thought this would be a better idea!

#4 Lexi

Lexi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:03 PM

Hey, all!

Mix Ingredients:

Thanks!!!

#5 Lexi

Lexi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:06 PM

I use that mix too! However, I cannot tolerate soy. I use canola oil, and applesauce, and then add in the Enjoy Life allergy free chocolate chips. They are pretty good. But, last week I switched to the King Arthur brand, and used the same ingredients. They are much better, and the CLOSEST thing I have ever found to tasting like a REAL chocolate chip cookie. It's making my mouth water just to think about them. I found the mix at Native Sun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: