This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Products At Labor And Delivery

SGWhiskers

SGWhiskers Collaborator

Since I had the same question as another poster, I'm sharing what I've learned regarding topical products used during labor and delivery and on the baby afterwards.

At my hospital the nurses swear that everything they would put on me is prescribed by the doctor. My doctor swears she does not prescribe any topical stuff. It was a little tricky getting them pinned down on what might be used.

Dermaplast: Numbing spray: blue can gluten free (most often used in the hospital). (Red can at drug store contains Vitamin E, but I didn't call the company).

Hospital brand Tuck's pads: gluten-free

Lanolin: gluten-free

Dibncaine: topical ointment (pain relief I think): gluten-free

The babies get:

Johnson's baby soap, lotion, and oil: gluten-free

A&D ointment: circumcision care: I'm having a girl and didn't look into this one

Diaper wipes: Hospital brand. Contained Vitamin E, so I will just bring some from home that are safe, so I don't have to do the research.

Vasaline: to keep meconium from sticking to their bottom. gluten-free

Eye drops: I didn't check because I doubted there would be Vitamin E added to them.

The hand sanitizer at the hospital does have Vitamin E and so do the shower soaps for me. I'm not sure I'm going to worry about what the nurses are putting on their hands since they will be wearing gloves and not touching my face. I'll just bring my own soaps from home. No research needed there.

I've still not looked into if cervadil or cytotec have gluten. Those are for labor induction. If everything continues as it has been, I doubt I'll need an induction. Oh, I shouldn't be typing those words. I'll jinx it.

Percocet, tylenol, and motrin are also commonly prescribed the nurses say. (Percocet for c-sections and bad tears). I can bring my own OTC tylenol and motrin in which I will do. I'm not allowed to bring my percocet from home. I think my plan in that situation would be to bring it, hide it in my bag, and take my own instead of what they give me (shame on me).

So, all in all, it looks like I can either bring a few common items from home and avoid having both gluten and having to do research.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Btw, the baby doesn't need a bath when born. It will wash off the extraordinarily moisturizing vernix that baby is born with (even if in small amounts). Daphne didn't get any more than a pat-dry until she was five days old and at home.

You can use olive oil, rather than J&J, for both lotion and Vaseline. No need for all the extra chemicals. (Though good luck getting them to be flexible...)

shopgirl Contributor

Oh the insanity of having to sneak safe medications into a hospital of all places.

ChemistMama Contributor

I would go to glutenfreedrugs.com. Print out his list of gluten free drugs and send it to the hospital before you go, so the hospital pharmacist knows which meds to give you. Brand name Percoset is gluten-free according to the list. Because of the way they're formulated (liquids, not solid pills) injectable drugs don't have gluten in them, so if for some reason you have to have a c-section (I hope not), you don't have to worry about the spinal or the IV on top of everything else. Besides, they don't ever go though your digestive system so they're safe.

HEre's more info;

Open Original Shared Link

finally diagnosed Apprentice

Since I had the same question as another poster, I'm sharing what I've learned regarding topical products used during labor and delivery and on the baby afterwards.

At my hospital the nurses swear that everything they would put on me is prescribed by the doctor. My doctor swears she does not prescribe any topical stuff. It was a little tricky getting them pinned down on what might be used.

Dermaplast: Numbing spray: blue can gluten free (most often used in the hospital). (Red can at drug store contains Vitamin E, but I didn't call the company).

Hospital brand Tuck's pads: gluten-free

Lanolin: gluten-free

Dibncaine: topical ointment (pain relief I think): gluten-free

The babies get:

Johnson's baby soap, lotion, and oil: gluten-free

A&D ointment: circumcision care: I'm having a girl and didn't look into this one

Diaper wipes: Hospital brand. Contained Vitamin E, so I will just bring some from home that are safe, so I don't have to do the research.

Vasaline: to keep meconium from sticking to their bottom. gluten-free

Eye drops: I didn't check because I doubted there would be Vitamin E added to them.

The hand sanitizer at the hospital does have Vitamin E and so do the shower soaps for me. I'm not sure I'm going to worry about what the nurses are putting on their hands since they will be wearing gloves and not touching my face. I'll just bring my own soaps from home. No research needed there.

I've still not looked into if cervadil or cytotec have gluten. Those are for labor induction. If everything continues as it has been, I doubt I'll need an induction. Oh, I shouldn't be typing those words. I'll jinx it.

Percocet, tylenol, and motrin are also commonly prescribed the nurses say. (Percocet for c-sections and bad tears). I can bring my own OTC tylenol and motrin in which I will do. I'm not allowed to bring my percocet from home. I think my plan in that situation would be to bring it, hide it in my bag, and take my own instead of what they give me (shame on me).

So, all in all, it looks like I can either bring a few common items from home and avoid having both gluten and having to do research.

Good Luck with your delivery.... I wish you wouldn't take your own percocets into the hospital.. you need to be careful on what they give you and what you take there is only a certain amount of tylenol or motrin one is allowed w/in a 24 hour period, if they give you a PCA Pump you really don't want to take additional pain meds w/out your nurses knowledge.. when a pain med is given it is documented to see if it works.. if it doesn't they ususally prescribe something else.. please becareful some medications pass through breast milk...if you contact the pharmacy of the hospital early enough they can look up what medications are gluten free for you...i wish you a pain free recovery... good luck

Roda Rising Star
I've still not looked into if cervadil or cytotec have gluten. Those are for labor induction

Both of these are vaginally inserted medications for the induction of labor and I would think should not be a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
SGWhiskers Collaborator

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm just counting down the days. Some days I think I'll be in labor by morning. Others, she feels like she will stay here for the next 2.5 weeks.

The hospital has already given me permission to take my own OTC meds and I will be communicating with the nurses regarding dosages etc. I'll only take my own percocet if it is prescribed to me. I'll just substitute in my pills for theirs. I would, of course, talk to the pharmacy first to try to do it the right way, but it has been my experience that it often takes 2 days to get confirmation from the generic manufacturer regarding the gluten status of a medication. If I deliver on the weekend, that could mean I would be home before the gluten status is verified. I'll request IV meds as opposed to pills first anyway. And really, I would only be taking them as a last resort because I don't want to add managing constipation to my list of post natal worries. I had laparoscopic surgery in the past and wasn't remotely close to needing pain meds. I know a c-section or severe tear could be a different story though.

I listed all the products I checked out at the hospital for the baby for others information, but since we don't use any petroleum/fragranced products on ourselves, we won't be using any of their chemical laden products on her. Since she is rooming in, we should be able to do her bathing, diapering, etc. ourselves with our own products. I wasn't planning on bringing any oils for her skin. Do I really need those? I know she does not need a bath and the vernix is a protective coating that can be left on. We will give her first bath when the time is right for us. Not when it is right for nursing.

I really do appreciate your support and suggestions.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

The olive oil just makes it WAY easier to get meconium off. Any oil you feel comfortable using will work, and I'd recommend it over the lengthy scrubbing on sensitive skin it might otherwise take, especially if you're using cloth wipes/diapers.

Archived