This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Am Grateful Truly I Am But Some Days......

cahill

cahill Collaborator

I am grateful, truly I am, but some days,, like today,, it is hard to concentrate on what I am grateful for.

Today I am sad over the loss of two foods that I thought I could not live without,,,,I am adding eggs and dairy to the ever growing list of foods my body currently has a true allergy or an intolerance too . I am in physical pain and my emotions are all over the place,,, a result of ingesting dairy. The latest self inflicted assault on my body as I continue my elimination diet . The pain and emotional rollercoster will clear as the dairy leaves my body,and hopefully the overwhelming sadness and grief will dissipate soon also.

I am trying I truly am but some days..........

so today I will try to remember to be grateful,,

Grateful that my 4 year old granddaughter ,who is showing signs of celiacs ,has a mom that is gluten free. A mom that understands and can see the signs. I am grateful she will not have to suffer as I or her mom have.

I am grateful that I found meat at the market that is among the few my body has chosen to tolerate.The last time I when shopping they didnt have any and I started to cry in the meat isle.

I found sweet potato chips,I never though I would cry over being able to find potato chips I can eat.

So I will make foods that I know are safe for lunch and pamper my body as it recovers from the dairy.

What are you grateful for today ??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Great idea for a thread. Sometimes it is hard to concentrate on the good things we do have when it seems so much is lacking or gone.

I am grateful that I woke up today, got out of bed and stood up without falling over.

I am grateful that I have my little dog and my kitties to brighten my day.

I am grateful that although I don't have a lot of extra money I do have enough to buy food and pay the bills I have.

I am grateful that at least for today it isn't snowing. :D

Takala Enthusiast

Coconut milk, so I can tell you to go buy some to start using in your coffee, tea, and soups in place of dairy.

I am grateful we have had a run of really nice weather and the rain stopped for a while, although that is going to change. B)

Grateful I don't fall over, anymore, either. I used to lay in bed and think, what happens if I can't get up, as I tested to see what I could still feel.

Happyw5 Explorer

I agree I definitely needed to see the bright side of things today!!!

I am grateful I have 5 healthy, wonderful children!

I am grateful my 10 yr old son just got a terrific kid award at school today (I just got the call)

I am grateful I have a supportive husband and a great support system with my big family!

I am grateful for my 5 dogs!!!

I am grateful I can stay home and take care of the kids, and though we may not have the newest of everything--we are doing pretty darn great!

I am grateful I can still eat popcorn and potatoes!!!!

HAVE A HAPPY DAY EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diane-in-FL Explorer

I am grateful for my wonderful husband who is super supportive and loves to cook and doesn't mind eating gluten free along with me!

Also grateful today is a snow free day!

And for this forum!!

shopgirl Contributor

I'm grateful that no matter how whiny, self-pitying, and obnoxious I happen to be, I can always ask mom for a hug and receive one without hesitation.

cahill Collaborator

I am grateful for the friend who told me about this web site.

I am grateful for this forum and each of you :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

I am grateful that my sister who has melanoma is doing much better now than 2 weeks ago. A blessing from God!

I am grateful for days when I can read this celiac board and think of it as just a disease that I happen to have and not a major detriment to living my life.

I am grateful for all the things God has given me even tho I didn't exactly want some of them at the time they were "gifted".

And another one, a month or so a gao I went to a local Safeway grocery store in Vienna, VA on Nutley street and asked for gluten-free bread after wandering around for a long tiem lokking for it. All they had was some Ezekial sprouted grain bread, which they thot was gluten-free. After talking to the bakery manager and getting nowhere, and the on duty store manager, it turned out they just didn't have any gluten-free bread. And this is a big new store, not a small one. So, no biggie, I thanked them for their effort and left.

A few weeks later I went back in that store and they had installed a whole display of about 10 feet wide of gluten free products right up front of the store as you walk in the entrance. Pretty amazing! I even found some GFCFSF items on the display I can eat which is pretty cool. :D :D

mcc0523 Newbie

I'm grateful that I was able to hike earlier 2.5 hours in the woods. A feat that was impossible 2 months ago, that I had given up for good (that was such a horrible night when I told my best friend that I would never be able to do that again... I actually cried over that). I went gluten-free a month ago, and I can already tell such a difference in how I feel. In general my energy levels are starting to pick back up again. I can now gladly give up beer (the only thing I still wasn't OK with giving up before this hike, actually) and I do mean gladly! I love hiking much more than I could ever love beer (and that's a lot).

I'm grateful that my friend is going gluten free (actually, I've been following more of a primal/paleo diet, and now so is he) with me, and that he is starting to feel a difference in his health, too. I've suspected that he has had problems with gluten for awhile, and that he was able to hike with me today is a good sign (since he's been gluten-free for awhile, too) that gluten is not his friend, either.

I'm grateful for people where I go (school and church) that make sure my needs are taken care of, but do so in a way that makes me feel normal.

I'm grateful that it's not all "in [my] head", that I'm not completely losing my mind. I knew that I wasn't when it appeared that I was, but I couldn't convince others of that for a long time. I now have my parents in my corner (as best as they can right now... but they finally know that I'm not going crazy), and I even have a few good doctors that believe me and actually listen to me, not cut me off mid-sentence and just shove pills my way that was just dropped off by the pharmaceutical rep. One actually told me that me not throwing up since the day I went gluten-free was a pretty good sign, and it seemed like my body was telling me something and I should listen to it.

There are so, so many more things that I'm grateful for, some even more than what I listed here.... I wish I'd gone gluten-free much, much sooner.

catarific Contributor

I am grateful I can eat egg whites! I, like you, can no longer eat eggs - but I can eat egg whites that are fried with a bit of Pam in the pan. I do not like the egg whites in the container. Instead, we get high grade eggs and separate the whites from the yolk - and the taste is really good! My husband argued with me that there is no nutritional value in the whites - but, I looked it up on the internet, and the whites of the egg are full of protein! So I do hope you give this a try - it may be something you like. I usually am plagued with diarrhea and stomach cramps when eating something I cannot tolerate, but am happy and grateful to say, the egg whites do not cause these complaints!

mushroom Proficient

I am grateful that my sister who has melanoma is doing much better now than 2 weeks ago. A blessing from God!

I am so glad to hear this, Gee Eff. May her healing journey continue :) I will keep her in my thoughts.

AerinA Rookie

I am grateful that my mom finally gets to have a healthy kid, after so many years of heartache and worry, for all the support that my family, friends, and all of you on the forum have given me.

I am grateful for my doctor, who was the first one to direct me to the idea of gluten intolerance after so many years of nobody understanding -- and grateful that the diet works!!

Today, I am most grateful for the extra time I got to spend with my family last weekend since I didn't have to spend the majority of it sleeping or nursing a headache, and I am looking forward to being able to do all those things I had been putting off for so long because I wasn't feeling up to it.

And thanks for this thread, a little positive thinking can do a world of good--best of luck coping with the new diet, I hope you feel better soon!

IrishHeart Veteran

I know how you feel when things seem like they keep getting worse, instead of better. I hope you feel better soon!

I think focusing on what we are grateful for is helpful and I appreciate you starting this topic! I try to remember to be grateful every morning, but sometimes the pain makes that very difficult indeed.

I am grateful for this forum and all of you wonderful people who provide endless encouragement and wisdom. Special thanks to Raven for taking me under her wing (pun intended!)XXOO

I am BEYOND grateful for an amazing husband who has stood by me during years of inexplicable burning pain and illness, never giving up, driving me to endless doctor and PT visits because I was too spacey/anxious to drive, holding me while I sobbed and felt as if I would go mad because I did not know why I was so sick and out of it every damn day, and for going gluten-free with me, making our home 100% gluten-free, (even giving up his beer)...and baking our gluten-free bread. He's my rock and my heartbeat.

I am grateful that I am a persistent woman who would not accept a NON-diagnosis, or being bed-ridden with excruciating burning pain and parasthesia, or being told "get a scooter" to get around, "accept your fate" and "take these drugs." Poo on that! I have things to do!! :D

and I am grateful to have some remaining loyal friends, my sister who "gets it", a roof over my head, a fire in the wood stove, food to eat (that I actually feel like eating now!) and my crazy kitty cat who came to us in a most unexpected way. Simple pleasures are the best, don't you agree??

Blessings to you all!!

GFinDC Veteran

I am so glad to hear this, Gee Eff. May her healing journey continue :) I will keep her in my thoughts.

Thanks Shroomster! She is still doing better. We are looking at some drug trials that might help now. Prayers do help tho. :)

cO-ol Explorer

I am grateful

That I still live with mom and dad and am not homeless/totally broke despite the terrible wages my job provides

For the Internet! From good music to this support group to good blogs, the Internet makes my life bearable

That I live in an area with a co-op and a "health nut" (I use the term lovingly) community

• 7 months later...
cahill Collaborator

The resent talk Thanksgiving reminded me of this thread.

Today I am grateful that since I last posted in this tread my body has healed enough to reintroduce many foods.

I am grateful that I now have more good days than bad.

The damage from the ataxia may never completely go away but today I am grateful that I have not fallen or walked into a wall in a very long time. :)

What are you grateful or thankful for ?? :)

jswog Contributor

I am so greatful to FINALLY find the CAUSE of so many things that have held me back in life. I am greatful (or at least *trying*) to give up foods that have been making me sick for so long. I am greatful for a wonderful, supportive husband who's helped push me along in this journey of finding the 'healthy' me. I am greatful that after not even a month of being gluten-free, there is a very noticable difference in my health. I'm sure I could go on, but I'll stop with that!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

This is a great thread to resurrect.

I am grateful for my new little four legged freind who has helped heal my heart and makes me go for long walks every day and more importantly laugh.

I am grateful that I feel good enough to work every week as a volunteer and the freindships I have made there.

I am grateful my furnace worked when I had to turn it on this week.

I am grateful for this forum and all the people here and for every day that I wake up without pain.

AVR1962 Collaborator

This is a great thread to resurrect.

I am grateful for my new little four legged freind who has helped heal my heart and makes me go for long walks every day and more importantly laugh.

I am grateful that I feel good enough to work every week as a volunteer and the freindships I have made there.

I am grateful my furnace worked when I had to turn it on this week.

I am grateful for this forum and all the people here and for every day that I wake up without pain.

You got yourself a new little friend? That is great!!! Nothing like time spent with our pets to mkae our hearts feel fuller!!

Gfresh404 Enthusiast

I am grateful I am going to die.

"We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Arabia. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here."

Archived