22 replies to this topic

#16 irish daveyboy

irish daveyboy

The Irish Coeliac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:14 PM

Another option is to buy toaster bags. Then you can still use the same toaster but the bag will keep your bread safe from contamination. I've never seen them in a store but you should be able to buy them online.

It seems they are available everywhere in the UK but not in the USA.

Here's a USA news video about Tosta Bags in this example it's making grilled cheese in the toaster,
but as you can see it would be excellent for Gluten Free bread in a shared toaster.

Chronically Ill and lost 56lbs in 3 Months Prior to Diagnosis.
Diagnosed in Nov 2005 after Biopsy and Blood Tests
Cannot tolerate Codex Wheat Starch.
Self Taught Baker.
Bake everything from scratch using naturally gluten-free ingredients.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 come dance with me

come dance with me

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:36 PM

I replaced heaps of stuff and went gluten-free for the whole house, this eliminates any chance of problems.
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#18 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:03 AM

It seems they are available everywhere in the UK but not in the USA.

Here's a USA news video about Tosta Bags in this example it's making grilled cheese in the toaster,
but as you can see it would be excellent for Gluten Free bread in a shared toaster.

They are avalable in the US. I bought some in a kitchen goods store and ordered on-line. I only use them to travel. I don't eat much toast or bread.

On this link, we discuss where we got them & Jestgar has a liink to make your own bags

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#19 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:50 PM

Whole Foods also sells the toaster bags. I put my bread atop aluminum foil sometimes, but just got the bags and they are pretty nifty.

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#20 tctwhite

tctwhite

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:56 AM

I bought myself a toaster oven. And boy we didn't know what we were missing with that thing! I use it so much for so many other things rather than toast. Since its mine, it is 100% dedicated to gluten free. Ill let DH use it, but not for anything with gluten. He loves it too and says if we had more counter space, he would buy him and the kids one.
Diagnosed with: Fibromyalgia, IBS, Chronic Fatigue, Chronic Gastritis, Asthma, Depression, Anxiety, severe allergies, and Im sure Im leaving out something else.
Biopsy 7/2012 was a bust as the Dr didn't test for Celiac.
Gluten Free 8/7/2012

#21 Making__A_Change

Making__A_Change

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

Wow...I didn't even think about the can opener! You all sure are a wealth of knowledge!!

#22 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

Wow...I didn't even think about the can opener! You all sure are a wealth of knowledge!!

I have a hand-held can opener and just scrubbed it good using a new toothbrush.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#23 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

I've never used our can opener for anything other fruit and veg in a tin, and most of those even have a ring pull. Nothing with gluten in it has ever really come into our house in a can. Other than the couple of times I trialled my daughter on tinned spaghetti as a toddler, but they have a ring pull so no can opener needed, and haven't bought tinned spaghetti since then, neither of us like it.
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: