Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Asthma And Dairy - Is It Lactose Or Casien Or Other That Is The Culprit?

• Please log in to reply

11 replies to this topic

#1 StacyA

StacyA

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:35 PM

I started a strict elimination diet awhile ago because I suspected other intolerances besides gluten were causing continued diarrhea. Within days the darrhea went away. I have asthma and was taking singulair, and I eliminated singular with the diet. I was worried my asthma would suffer, but it did great. I gradually added nearly all foods back in with no GI problems. I still haven't added singular, vitamins or pop - so either one of those is the diarrhea culprit or I happened to heal a leaky gut during the course of the elimination diet.

I've noticed, however, that my asthma has gradually gotten bad. Because it's been so gradual, I didn't make the connection, but I am now realizing there's probably a food relationship. I'm gluten-free, still, of course - so the next likely culprit according to research is dairy.

Regarding asthma and dairy - is it all dairy, or just lactose or some other part of the milk that is the problem typically with asthma, does anyone know? Also, it is usually a dose-related response, or any teeny bit response? I was sooo happy when I thought I could eat most foods again...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 trents

trents

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 06:19 PM

Hi Stacy!

Most dairy-related respiratory issues are caused by casein but not all. There are other proteins and lipo-proteins that can be the culprit in individual cases. Unfortunately, most allergy testing doesn't differentiate the various milk proteins. To pin it down more specifically, you would have to get some tests done that are more targeted to various milk proteins. I think thosee tests are available but howe expensive they are and whether or not your insurance will cover them is another matter.

#3 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:10 AM

My grandmother died of an asthma attack, and my father was equally as bad. Childhood memories are filled of him GASPING for air and having to go to the hospital. Thank God my dad was savvy enough to make the dairy connection about a decade ago and hasn't since had to use an inhaler, unless he accidentally consumes dairy.
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2009 Low T3 thyroid hormone, muscle twitching and adrenal fatigue
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
2005 - Thought I had wheat "allergy." Stopped eating bread, oats problem too
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom
Teenage years - Stomach pain prompted veganism -> BIG mistake!
Child - Awful gas, D, C. Chronic infections, appendix and tonsils removed

#4 Emilushka

Emilushka

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:34 AM

Singulair works for a long period of time because it's a steroid. I wouldn't be surprised if being off the singulair for a long period of time caused the levels to gradually wear off and then your body to respond with increased asthma symptoms. Singulair's greatest benefit is in preventing asthma symptoms by having a long duration of action and maintaining good levels over the long term as a result - you might just need to restart the singulair. I bet you fixed the leaky gut just fine, but before you blame dairy for your asthma, try taking your medication as prescribed again and see if you are able to reduce your symptoms again.

#5 StacyA

StacyA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:12 PM

Singulair works for a long period of time because it's a steroid. I wouldn't be surprised if being off the singulair for a long period of time caused the levels to gradually wear off and then your body to respond with increased asthma symptoms. Singulair's greatest benefit is in preventing asthma symptoms by having a long duration of action and maintaining good levels over the long term as a result - you might just need to restart the singulair. I bet you fixed the leaky gut just fine, but before you blame dairy for your asthma, try taking your medication as prescribed again and see if you are able to reduce your symptoms again.

Thanks. I should consider that. This could occur even 2-3 months later?

One of the reasons I included singulair in the elimination diet is because diarrhea is listed as a common side effect. I guess it's time to challenge the singulair... - Stacy

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:18 PM

If this started after you added dairy back in perhaps you could drop all dairy again and see if it resolves.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#7 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:25 PM

I have asthma. My asthma went away when I eliminated dairy. 6 months after eliminating dairy I started adding low lactose dairy (cheese, yogurt, butter etc) and it didn't seem to bother me at first. 1 year later (this month in fact) I found I was having increased asthma again due to eating too much dairy. Then last week I had a day when I ate cheese or butter at every meal and had a yogurt for a snack. After eating the yogurt I was having trouble breathing and my tongue started to swell up. It was a very scary incident and I'm just glad I was able to swallow some benedryl before it got too bad and I took some hits of my inhaler to get it under control. This week I stopped ALL dairy once again and my breathing is fine. I'm craving cheese a little bit but I like breathing better than I like cheese. I also prefer to just avoid dairy rather than go on stronger meds to mask the symptoms. You can decide for yourself which you want to do. Me, I'd rather avoid all dairy than take steroids and allergy meds for the rest of my life. I still carry an inhaler with me and always have benedryl in my purse just in case, but I'm fairly sure that I have some form of dairy allergy that was causing my asthma all these years.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#8 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:56 AM

It would be much healthier to eliminate dairy from the diet than to take steroids for long periods of time. You'll lose bone mass with steroid use, among other side effects. Dairy has long been known to aggravate asthma because it's mucous producing. Whether it's from the lactose or casein doesn't really matter....asthmatics should not consume dairy.

#9 potatopeelingmom

potatopeelingmom

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:09 AM

>>>Regarding asthma and dairy - is it all dairy, or just lactose or some other part of the milk that is the problem typically with asthma, does anyone know?<<<

Hi Stacy and all,

My son was wheezing badly everyday. We were treating it with homeopathy, without complete success.

We eliminated all sources of soy a few months ago. He has completely stopped wheezing, with no further need for the homeopathy.

I have learned that many people with Celiac disease and/or asthma are also sensitive to soy.

Good luck.

Monica

#10 StacyA

StacyA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

Thanks for the input! I challenged Singulair recently and had horrible diarrhea. Singulair never bugged me before my celiac's was triggered - but now it does. I may have to look into other options for my asthma, including food.

#11 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for the input! I challenged Singulair recently and had horrible diarrhea. Singulair never bugged me before my celiac's was triggered - but now it does. I may have to look into other options for my asthma, including food.

You are not the first to have bad side effects from singulair. Check out this post: http://www.celiac.co...r-bad-reaction/
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#12 tammiliz123

tammiliz123

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:40 PM

Just as a clarification, Singulair is not a steroid medication, nor is it a fast acting antihistimine. It is a Monteleukast inhibitor, which taken over time, blocks certain causes of the over reaction of the immune system which causes allergy and asthma symptoms. To take a Singulair because you are feeling bad one day is useless. It is a maintenance drug used to control allergy and asthma symptoms, not treat a sudden symptom. Best taken at night so as to minimize the mild side effects...anyone can have a drug reaction so discuss this with your doctor, and don't forget to mention andy herbal or otc medications you are takin to look for possble other culprits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: