arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Has Anyone Here Been Diagnosed With Microscopic Colitis?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bis-quit

Bis-quit

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 06:58 PM

Hello everyone, I'm brand new to the board, I just now signed up. My name is Lori, I am married with 3 grown kids. I was diagnosed this past August with Microscopic Colitis, it can mimic Celiacs so they did test me for that as well. Fortunately I don't have celiac, but I still had to give up gluten as part of the treatment.
I'm just curious if anyone else here has been diagnosed with Microscopic Colitis, and if so, how is your treatment working? Were you able to get your symptoms under control?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cyberprof

cyberprof

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:37 AM

Hello everyone, I'm brand new to the board, I just now signed up. My name is Lori, I am married with 3 grown kids. I was diagnosed this past August with Microscopic Colitis, it can mimic Celiacs so they did test me for that as well. Fortunately I don't have celiac, but I still had to give up gluten as part of the treatment.
I'm just curious if anyone else here has been diagnosed with Microscopic Colitis, and if so, how is your treatment working? Were you able to get your symptoms under control?

Yes, there are a few around. Jerseygirl is one that I remember. Hopefully, they'll show up to answer the question. Or you could do a search and then send members Personal Messages with questions.
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#3 willabec

willabec

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:38 AM

Yes, there are a few around. Jerseygirl is one that I remember. Hopefully, they'll show up to answer the question. Or you could do a search and then send members Personal Messages with questions.

what are your symptoms? i have both celiac and mc.....was on prednisone for a brief period (15 days) that helped a little, then tried entocort, things were ok but not as i had hoped, now on entocort and asacol at the same time...things possibly a little better...just started the new treatment about 2 weeks ago, so it may be too early to tell....some meds take a while to work, if they are going to.....

#4 Dixiebell

Dixiebell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:57 AM

Does Microscopic Colitis heal or go away? I am asking because my G-mom says she had this years ago and said it was awful.
Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.
2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.
Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.
So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!
My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

#5 willabec

willabec

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:49 PM

Does Microscopic Colitis heal or go away? I am asking because my G-mom says she had this years ago and said it was awful.

it does not go away it can go into remission though...can be days, weeks, months or even years but it can come back in the blink of an eye....i still have not had remission, although i just got diagnosed with it in november......

#6 newgfcali

newgfcali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:58 AM

Yep, I have gluten intolerance and had it under control with diet for many months. Then I started having symptoms again and my gastro found that I also had microscopic colitis. Went on a regimen of Asacol for one month and that cleared it up. No recurrences since then, and it's been nearly a year. However, mc means no more NSAID's or aspirin products EVER again. So if you're in pain, Tylenol is your only option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: