Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

It's Official, Gluten Must Be Labelled!

• Please log in to reply

20 replies to this topic

#1 num1habsfan

num1habsfan

Prairie field, possibly the best picture I've taken!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:14 PM

This is the latest news as of today:

New Health Canada rules expand food labels to specify allergens, gluten

By: The Canadian Press

Posted: 02/14/2011 10:38 AM | Comments: 0 | Last Modified: 02/14/2011 1:42 PM

OTTAWA - New labelling rules will give consumers more detailed information about the presence of allergens, gluten and sulphites in food and drink, Health Canada said Monday.

The department said the new labels will require manufacturers to clearly list the presence of such substances.

The rules will require a listing of allergens in smaller components of the product, as well.

For example, if a product includes spices, the label must declare if the spices contain allergens or gluten.

Milk, egg or fish products used to purify wines or spirits must also be listed on the label.

Beer, ale, stout, porter and malt liquor are exempt from the new labelling rules.

The new requirements will be phased in over 18 months to give manufacturers time to comply.

The regulations require the use of plain words, such as wheat or milk.

Health Minister Leona Aglukkaq says the changes are particularly aimed at protecting children.

"These changes to food labels will make it easier for parents of children with food allergies to identify potentially harmful, if not fatal, ingredients in foods," she said in a statement.

Health Canada estimates that five to six per cent of young children and three to four per cent of adults suffer from food allergies.

Nearly one per cent of the population is affected by celiac disease. These people can suffer long-term complications from eating foods which contain gluten.

The exemption for beer came after hard lobbying from brewers, who argued that celiac sufferers already know that beer is made from grain. They also said tougher label requirements would be costly for small brewers.

Health Canada said it wants to work on the brewers' concerns. But rather than delaying the regulations, it was decided to exempt beer, at least for the time being.

"Any additional amendments dealing with enhanced labelling of beer will be dealt with once further consultations and discussions can be held," the department said.

Anaphylaxis Canada, a support and advocacy group for people with severe allergies, welcomed the new rules, but expressed disappointment with the exemption for beer.

"Allowing a last-minute exemption for the brewery industry — against the advice of medical experts, consumer and health advocates and the government’s own departmental advisers — defies logic and raises serious questions about the credibility of its public consultation process," the organization said in a news release.

It urged the department to resolve the matter quickly.

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...
...26 years old...
...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:18 PM

This is great news and hopefully the US will soon do the same.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:30 PM

Good news for the Canadians indeed!
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#4 ElseB

ElseB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:01 PM

I'm so angry at the ignorance of people out there who have obviously never had to deal with food allergies or intolerances or Celiac. I'm thrilled about these new requirements and participated in a letter writing campaign to get our government to take action. But reading some of the comments posted in response to various news articles about these new laws just makes me so angry.

Comments like these:
Please grow up and take responsibility for your own health! If you have a potential allergy then educate yourself to that allergy! Do not put the responsibility of your health on somebody else. It is time North Americans took on more of their fair share of the responsibility than everybody else. We are becoming a society of "not my fault"!

Or this one:
who cares , this again is the small interest group who has nothing better to do than make other people suffer because the can't eat certain foods.i cant have a peanut butter sandwich because one pearson is allerigic to it . And the media reporting this shows that they have nothing better to report on . Wake up people get a life

And this:
i don't need a label to tell me not to. but for gluten? OMG What the hell did they think it was made of? Will bread now require gluten warnings as well? how about a bag of flour? How about we just tattoo STUPID across the foreheads of these people so the rest of us can be warned?

And this:
This crap about allergies is being carried to ridiculous levels. I suppose a loaf of bread will now have to indicate that it has gluten, a jug of milk will now have indicate that it has lactose. It seems now that everyone who has gas now is running around saying they have lactose or gluten allergies. We have a society of hypochondriac whinners.

#5 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:06 PM

I hope the US does it soon or I may consider moving to Canada

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#6 Dixiebell

Dixiebell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:12 PM

Nice.
I guess they do not have any idea or care 'what' is in the foods they eat.
So sad.
Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.
2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.
Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.
So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!
My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

#7 Live Love Twillight

Live Love Twillight

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:45 PM

That would be so helpful in the US, I am constantly let down because the only unsure ingriedent on lots of my family's labels are "spices." That's it. Just "spices!"
"These violent delights have violent ends, and in their triumph die, like fire and powder, which, as they kiss, consume." ~Romeo & Juilet Act II Scene IV

I do not suffer from insanity-I enjoy every minute of it.

Friendship is like peeing on yourself-everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling it brings.

Be grateful for what you have today-you never know what tomorrow will bring. . .or take away.

Don't Worry Boys. . .I'm Gluten Free!!

#8 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,071 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:59 PM

I'm not completely sure about "spices" in the US, but in Canada "spices" can not include anything derived from a grain--spices are gluten-free.

"Seasonings" is a horse of another color, and many people, including some who should know better, confuse seasonings with spices. I certainly don't expect the news media to know the difference.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:02 PM

People are shocked that my kids 8 and 11 years old ask to read the food labels for themselves because they can not trust most adults to know what gluten is. :lol:
Michigan

#10 adab8ca

adab8ca

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:15 PM

I'm so angry at the ignorance of people out there who have obviously never had to deal with food allergies or intolerances or Celiac. I'm thrilled about these new requirements and participated in a letter writing campaign to get our government to take action. But reading some of the comments posted in response to various news articles about these new laws just makes me so angry.

Comments like these:
Please grow up and take responsibility for your own health! If you have a potential allergy then educate yourself to that allergy! Do not put the responsibility of your health on somebody else. It is time North Americans took on more of their fair share of the responsibility than everybody else. We are becoming a society of "not my fault"!

Or this one:
who cares , this again is the small interest group who has nothing better to do than make other people suffer because the can't eat certain foods.i cant have a peanut butter sandwich because one pearson is allerigic to it . And the media reporting this shows that they have nothing better to report on . Wake up people get a life

And this:
i don't need a label to tell me not to. but for gluten? OMG What the hell did they think it was made of? Will bread now require gluten warnings as well? how about a bag of flour? How about we just tattoo STUPID across the foreheads of these people so the rest of us can be warned?

And this:
This crap about allergies is being carried to ridiculous levels. I suppose a loaf of bread will now have to indicate that it has gluten, a jug of milk will now have indicate that it has lactose. It seems now that everyone who has gas now is running around saying they have lactose or gluten allergies. We have a society of hypochondriac whinners.

Grrr. The one about taking responsibility PIZZES me off. We AREt rying to take responsibility and all we are asking is to LABEL THE STINKING products!!! Don't ban them, don't need to segregate them in the store, please just let us read what is in the product. This shouldn't be too hard, the manufacturer should KNOW already. And if they don't, do you really want to eat ANYTHING they are providing?
TTG >200 (normal <10)
IgA gliadin 24 (normal <11)
IgG gliadin 38 (normal <11)
Endoscopy showed damage that looked like "classic celiac", biopsy showed total villous atrophy
Started gluten-free diet Aug 31, 2010
Only real symptoms are huge weight loss and neuropathy

#11 divamomma

divamomma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:24 PM

Yay Canada! I only wish they had less time to change over. 18 months seems like too long.

All of those stupid comments really infuriated me tonight. I can't believe people are that ingnorant!!!

Mommy to 2 Divas in Training
~6 yr old daughter positive Celiac blood test December 2010 (at age 4)~
~Positive Biopsy January 10, 2011~
~Gluten Free since January 11, 2011~

#12 num1habsfan

num1habsfan

Prairie field, possibly the best picture I've taken!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:08 PM

Adab8ca, those are some ridiculous comments, wow! But sadly, it does not shock me. I always get people assuming that 'gluten intolerance' and 'wheat allergy' and the same thing. And still constantly hear that "a little won't hurt". People don't realize how hard being a Celiac is!

I also agree that I wish it wouldn't take as long as 18 months, though I have noticed lately a LOT more Canadian-made products being labeled as gluten-free already.

Really hope for you guys in the U.S. that this eventually makes its way there, too. You deserve it as much as we do!

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...
...26 years old...
...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

#13 NorthernElf

NorthernElf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:50 AM

I did a little happy dance yesterday too - 'bout time ! Definitely good news...(the heck with the nay sayers).

#14 hockeymomofceliacchild

hockeymomofceliacchild

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:20 PM

I'm not completely sure about "spices" in the US, but in Canada "spices" can not include anything derived from a grain--spices are gluten-free.

"Seasonings" is a horse of another color, and many people, including some who should know better, confuse seasonings with spices. I certainly don't expect the news media to know the difference.

Again Peter this is good to know I was told that anything that said spices was potentially not safe. I've been researching specific brands to find out if they are gluten free. Knowing this makes things much more simple.

#15 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:05 PM

Congratulations, Canadians !

Felicitations, Canadiens !

Help Me, I bet at least half of those foodie trolls were actually lobbyist and industry staffers in the United States with multiple sock puppets working the internet, intent on keeping public sentiment down here in the boondocks ignorant, so the great unwashed won't expect our US FDA to actually do anything.

"taking responsibility" pet phrase of one of the political parties down here which does anything BUT. Not only does some gluten continue to be hidden, we are still locked in a battle to stop GMO's from infesting everything, as the GMO sugar beets and alfalfa are now going to be approved, which messed up organic feed for animals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: