30 replies to this topic

#1 frenchiemama

frenchiemama

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:17 AM

This happens to me all the time. I will dream that I forget I have celiac disease and just dig right in to a plate of pasta or a sandwich or something. Then about half way through, it suddenly dawns on me what I am doing and I am totally horrified because I know that I already ate more than enough to make myself sick and can't do anything about it.

Do you have dreams like that too? It's just so odd.

Carolyn

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. "
- Hunter S. Thompson

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:01 AM

YES!

The other night I was having this highly detailed dream about making Chex Mix. Which I think I only did once in my life anyway. I got it all done, had the huge bowl (like you would see in the ads on TV) on my lap, feet on an ottoman on the couch, watching tv, and I was halfway through the bowl when I suddenly freaked out! I ran into the bathroom to look for ipecac (sp?) (which I don't actually have) or something so I could throw up. The dream ended there, fortunately!

Actually, now that I think about it, last night I was dreaming about something else and someone gave me a piece of cheese cake (that I could hold in my hand) and I was mostly through that when I suddenly realized the crust was made of wheat flour. I was thinking how am I going to spit this out - I already swallowed everything I'd eaten...

You are not alone. They are really weird!

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#3 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:16 AM

Not long after being diagnosed I had a few dreams about eating gluten-containing foods unknowingly and then panicking afterwards :)
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#4 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:52 AM

Yes! I do! Every once in awhile I will dream about eating cake or cookies and then in my dream I think, "oh no! what am I doing I'm going to be so sick!" :lol: Then I wake up and am relieved.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#5 Guest_gliX_*

Guest_gliX_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2005 - 08:12 AM

come on people, if you cheat in your sleep don't eat pasta or chex mix..go for something good like pizza..haha..yea i've had dreams like that too..dreams are random, they have to do with what a person worries about in reality, i think

#6 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2005 - 08:22 AM

YES ~ Me too!! I dream I am majorly enjoying something made from wheat ~ i.e. pizza, cake, burger w/bun, etc. ~ and then I freak out in my dream. I am always SO happy when I wake up and realize I was just dreaming. :blink:

THIS is another thing that needs to be added to the "you know you have celiac disease when..." thread. :D

#7 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 08:23 AM

Absolutely...definitely add that one--that's 192, I think :lol:

#8 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 08:30 AM

Yep, I have had dreams like that before. I could almost taste the pizza...and when you can almost taste it and it is a dream then it is better because it won't make you sick
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#9 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 08:48 AM

Yeah, what a disappointment, dreaming about eating forbidden Chex Mix! I never liked it anyway!

When I first stopped eating nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) I used to dream of eating pizza and Mexican food. You'd think by now I'd learn to enjoy these dreams. My husband shakes his head and says it's sad that even in my dreams I'm worried about being sick!

Guess he's never been glutened! :P

Stephanie
Gluten-free since 10/04
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#10 Guest_edatgluten_*

Guest_edatgluten_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2005 - 02:02 PM

Ah, yes, the great "Wheat Attacks" nightmares. :D

I have dreams like that often where either I am eating the food on purpose or eating food that I know is cross-contaminated. I'll be getting to the last bite of tasty chicken fingers and thinking "what am I doing?" It has gotten to the point where I actually realize it's a dream and just keep going.

I wonder if I get symptons in my dreams if I'll wake up with cramps?

I once dreamed I was exercising and woke up with low blood sugar. What a concept! Exercise while you sleep.

Ed

#11 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 02:52 PM

A few months into diagnosis I had my one and only gluten-eating dream. It was in a dark, kind of dingy looking restaurant...I had a piece of chocolate cake (which I don't even like) and was assured it was gluten-free. Against my better judgment, I ate it, then I panicked. I considered vomiting as much of it up as I could--then I woke up. :(

#12 Guest_gliX_*

Guest_gliX_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:46 PM

:(

#13 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 08:29 AM

I'm glad for this topic - my husband thought I was crazy having these dreams. Then I told him that other people had them on the list and he now thinks it's an interesting phenomenon. Anyway, I have had one more since my last post. I must be going through another phase or something.

Stephanie
Gluten-free since 10/04
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#14 SharonF

SharonF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:29 AM

Yes, I dreamt that I was feeding my kids toaster scrambles and then licked the fork, then immediately realized what I had done. I was very relieved when I woke up!
Mom of 3
Diagnosed celiac August 2004

#15 Guest_gliX_*

Guest_gliX_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:54 AM

One time I had a dream that this huge pizza slice was chasing me, saying "eat me, eat me." But then I went all ninja on him and took him down. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: