This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do You Ever Have Weird Dreams

frenchiemama

frenchiemama Collaborator

This happens to me all the time. I will dream that I forget I have celiac disease and just dig right in to a plate of pasta or a sandwich or something. Then about half way through, it suddenly dawns on me what I am doing and I am totally horrified because I know that I already ate more than enough to make myself sick and can't do anything about it.

Do you have dreams like that too? It's just so odd.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

skbird Contributor

YES!

The other night I was having this highly detailed dream about making Chex Mix. Which I think I only did once in my life anyway. I got it all done, had the huge bowl (like you would see in the ads on TV) on my lap, feet on an ottoman on the couch, watching tv, and I was halfway through the bowl when I suddenly freaked out! I ran into the bathroom to look for ipecac (sp?) (which I don't actually have) or something so I could throw up. The dream ended there, fortunately!

Actually, now that I think about it, last night I was dreaming about something else and someone gave me a piece of cheese cake (that I could hold in my hand) and I was mostly through that when I suddenly realized the crust was made of wheat flour. I was thinking how am I going to spit this out - I already swallowed everything I'd eaten...

You are not alone. They are really weird!

Stephanie

jenvan Collaborator

Not long after being diagnosed I had a few dreams about eating gluten-containing foods unknowingly and then panicking afterwards :)

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Yes! I do! Every once in awhile I will dream about eating cake or cookies and then in my dream I think, "oh no! what am I doing I'm going to be so sick!" :lol: Then I wake up and am relieved.

Guest gliX

come on people, if you cheat in your sleep don't eat pasta or chex mix..go for something good like pizza..haha..yea i've had dreams like that too..dreams are random, they have to do with what a person worries about in reality, i think

Guest gfinnebraska

YES ~ Me too!! I dream I am majorly enjoying something made from wheat ~ i.e. pizza, cake, burger w/bun, etc. ~ and then I freak out in my dream. I am always SO happy when I wake up and realize I was just dreaming. :blink:

THIS is another thing that needs to be added to the "you know you have celiac disease when..." thread. :D

celiac3270 Collaborator

Absolutely...definitely add that one--that's 192, I think :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yep, I have had dreams like that before. I could almost taste the pizza...and when you can almost taste it and it is a dream then it is better because it won't make you sick

skbird Contributor

Yeah, what a disappointment, dreaming about eating forbidden Chex Mix! I never liked it anyway!

When I first stopped eating nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) I used to dream of eating pizza and Mexican food. You'd think by now I'd learn to enjoy these dreams. My husband shakes his head and says it's sad that even in my dreams I'm worried about being sick!

Guess he's never been glutened! :P

Stephanie

Guest edatgluten

Ah, yes, the great "Wheat Attacks" nightmares. :D

I have dreams like that often where either I am eating the food on purpose or eating food that I know is cross-contaminated. I'll be getting to the last bite of tasty chicken fingers and thinking "what am I doing?" It has gotten to the point where I actually realize it's a dream and just keep going.

I wonder if I get symptons in my dreams if I'll wake up with cramps?

I once dreamed I was exercising and woke up with low blood sugar. What a concept! Exercise while you sleep.

Ed

celiac3270 Collaborator

A few months into diagnosis I had my one and only gluten-eating dream. It was in a dark, kind of dingy looking restaurant...I had a piece of chocolate cake (which I don't even like) and was assured it was gluten-free. Against my better judgment, I ate it, then I panicked. I considered vomiting as much of it up as I could--then I woke up. :(

Guest gliX
:(
skbird Contributor

I'm glad for this topic - my husband thought I was crazy having these dreams. Then I told him that other people had them on the list and he now thinks it's an interesting phenomenon. Anyway, I have had one more since my last post. I must be going through another phase or something.

Stephanie

SharonF Contributor

Yes, I dreamt that I was feeding my kids toaster scrambles and then licked the fork, then immediately realized what I had done. I was very relieved when I woke up!

Guest gliX

One time I had a dream that this huge pizza slice was chasing me, saying "eat me, eat me." But then I went all ninja on him and took him down. :rolleyes:

lgranott Rookie

:D lol

I never thought pasta could be a nightmare:)

I do a 7 day bike ride for AIDS every year and this year was my first gluten-free year. I worked so hard to bring my own food, stay away from EVERYTHING and so on.

On the third night, I had a dream that I ate a whole plate of pasta that they serve, then freaked out b/c I realized what I had done. Thought about throwing up and worried that I would not be able to ride the next day. I was panicked. I then "woke up" in my dream and realized it was a dream, but I found the empty plate of pasta in my sleeping bag...:) Then I really woke up, sweating and panicked and had a really hard time discerning the truth about the mystery pasta :rolleyes:

Liatt

I'm glad that so many people do the same thing!

It's weird, I think the scariest part of the dream is the fact that I "forget" that I have celiac disease. It's not like I'm dreaming about cheating on my gluten-free diet, I just totally forget and go back to my old habits. That's why I dream about eating boring things like sandwiches and not stuff I really want like chocolate cake and pizza.

Guest mlwaller

I have had a recurring dream about eating a hamburger with a bun ever since I was diagnosed. My mom and I have often talked about how strange this is, the same happens to her. Recently I dreamt that my boyfriend and I ate an entire pizza before I remembered it had gluten in it. Then I was so mad at him for not stopping me (he is usually very concerned with my restrictions), that I woke up mad at him the next morning and it took me half a day to remember why. lol.

gabrielle Contributor

I have these dreams all the time. I feel like such a freak. Especially when i am most stressed... :-(

Guest gliX

ok last night i had this really weird dream..

this giant gingerbread man was chasing me and screaming my name

then he caught up to me and told me i had dropped my wallet

then we both went to dairy queen and had some milkshakes

what the heck?? :o

jenvan Collaborator

glix- that dream was random!

celiac3270 Collaborator

Haha...so random

happygirl Collaborator

Having gluten-filled dreams is what led me to this website orginally, and I read a post about gluten/nightmares. It made me feel so much better to know that I wasn't crazy. My dreams are filled with bagels, Papa John's Pizza, and Chocolate cake....I only wish I could enjoy it! I usually freak out in my dreams and then wake up in a panic! Luckily, they are very rare for me. How bad is it that I can't even enjoy wheat in my sleep! :)

The other night I dreamt that my mom gave me a little bite of cheesecake, and I took it thinking that if she was giving it to me it must be gluten-free. But it wasn't, and I was so mad and horrified! I woke up in a sweat and I was convinced that it had really happened until I realized that I was in my bed and it couldn't have.

namnammo Newbie

I had a wierd dream! Its was my birthday and my friends each bought me a cake all different colours. So I dived into this pink one and fell though and the was like swimmping in this cake because I shrunk. If that wasn't bad enough every one was trying to eat me with the cake!!!!!!! :blink:

Archived