66 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:55 PM

What do you do? :) It's so fascinating who walks with us, but in so many different ways.

Without offering too much personal information, what do you do for a career, a passion, a volunteer, a home maker......
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,123 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:00 PM

What do you do? :) It's so fascinating who walks with us, but in so many different ways.

Without offering too much personal information, what do you do for a career, a passion, a volunteer, a home maker......

Some of you know and can skip over me.

I am a stay home mom of 2 teen boys. I volunteer in the school district at a wilderness center and with the High School Robotics team. I am a volunteer Smart A$$ on this website.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,123 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:01 PM

Some of you know and can skip over me.

I am a stay home mom of 2 teen boys. I volunteer in the school district at a wilderness center and with the High School Robotics team. I am a volunteer Smart A$$ on this website.

What about you, Lisa?

What happened? Tried to add the "What about you"

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 curlyfries

curlyfries

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:10 PM

How'd you do that? :unsure:

I am an interpreter and personal assistant for a learning-disabled hearing-impaired middle school student. My passion is dancing. Mostly west coast swing and salsa.
~~Lisa~~

"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."--Moliere

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."--Douglas Adams

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!--Amanda

gluten-free since 1/08
Posted Image

#5 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:14 PM

Well, I am RE -tired, as in tired all my life so phinally made it formal and re-tired. Used to be a medical litigation paralegal in CA (which is what really tired me out) with lots of previous incarnations, all seeming to involve health or law. Phunny, I couldn't take care of my own health as well :unsure: Now I volunteer for the local Cancer Support Group, volunteer at the local school, lead the life of Lady Muck playing bridge and having "afternoon tea", (just went back to competitive bridge now I have my immune system a bit under control - kept catching viruses :( ), dabble a little in water color painting, mostly ignore :huh: my garden although I love gardens and belong to the garden club, and phlee the winter to spend summer in Nevada :D while Barb takes care of my baby, Miss Em.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:23 PM

Ok! Called out...

Worked on Capital Hill in my pre married years. Worked with all the cogs that keep a small town rollin' (especially historic preservation). And raised two semi-well adjusted daughters without a college debt! :D And grandmother of the special one! ;)...my first, as you may know! :rolleyes:
Lisa

#7 mcc0523

mcc0523

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:23 PM

I am a musician, currently training to be a church organist. I've previously had voice and piano training, plus 7 years of band in school. I don't know exactly what I want to do with music, but it is more important to me than most anything else. I'm especially fond of Gregorian Chant, and sing with a Gregorian Chant Schola every Sunday.

I am a Trekkie and I know enough random Star Trek facts to completely blow anyone else out of the water were I on Jeopardy and it was one of the categories.

I'm glad that I've had to go gluten-free and cook most of my food, because I have discovered just how much I LOVE cooking! I think it would be neat if I could open a "Naturally Gluten-free" restaurant... if it didn't interfere with music, that is.
DX: Ehlers-danlos syndrome, cervical syrinx, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, Barrett's Esophagus, GERD, osteoporosis, thyroid disease, anemia, hypokalemia, niacin deficiency, vitamin D deficiency and various other malnutritions.

Although not diagnosed officially yet, I have suspected celiac since October of 2010. At least 2 separate physicians who are experts with collagen deficiencies (such as Ehlers-danlos syndrome) have mentioned the possibility to me, and one has tested (although I haven't gotten the results back yet).

#8 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:02 PM

I have been a registered x-ray/ct technologist for 16 years. I have always worked in a hospital setting with occasional moonlighting over the early years at an orthopedic office. I also did mammography for 15 months when I moved back north. I have been back south for 7 1/2 years now and currently work night shift. I work only 3 days one week and 4 the next so it enables me to be home more with my two boys. My passion is my job as a MOM. I also like to camp and I'm content just being outside. I love to garden and freeze and can my own food. I grew up on a farm and love animals. Some day I'm going to sell my house in town and find a place a little further up the mountain and raise me some critters. I want to raise milk goats and rabbits (meat rabbits) and the hubby wants emu's. The boys won't have a care where they live as long as they have a place to look for bugs and critters. :P

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#9 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:41 AM

I was laid off 2 years ago from a really good job examining/investigating medical insurance claims and have been picking up freelance work doing QA for a transcription company. There are FEW jobs where I live (in the boonies of north central Arkansas) and I hesitate to commit to a full time (really low paying) job because my LOVE is the time I spend tutoring kids in reading (a fantastic program)and adults in ESL at the next town's Literacy Council. I can't (WON'T) give up the 2 days a week I spend there so I keep looking for work that can accommodate my volunteer work!
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#10 BethJ

BethJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:37 AM

What an interesting thread!

I'm sort of retired . . . are women ever really retired? We're self-employed managing our own real estate which has been quite a challenge in recent years. Before I married, I was a paralegal specializing in probate. My husband got his real estate broker's license so I quit to help with that.

I live in south Florida and I'm a mother to four cats. Posted Image Two Siamese and two Oriental Shorthairs. I love to crochet and spend my evenings making afghans etc. for Siamese Rescue.

I have no children of my own but my husband has two living daughters. We have 3 grandchildren. We currently support 24 children and 2 families through World Vision.

I've always enjoyed cooking - and eating - so learning to live without gluten wasn't terribly hard. In a way, it's sort of fun creating old favorites that are safe for me. My husband gets gluten-free food unless he buys a loaf of bread or brings cookies home. The only thing he ever complained about was the gluten-free pasta. I solved that problem by buying two microwave cookers so he can have his own and I can have mine!

Beth in Florida

Gluten-free since 7/19/08
Alcohol free since 6/28/10

#11 SuziQT0322

SuziQT0322

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:09 PM

I am a 45 yr old Disabled Veteran of the United States Army. I have PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). I was adopted at the age of 3 months. I have 3 children. 1.5 grand children. 1 grand biologically and another who will be completed upon the marriage of my eldest daughter. (psst...we still count her even now) I met and married my husband while we were both in service. My husband and I both do or did a lot of volunteer work in the community.

We are the proud owners of 3 dogs, and 2 cats, 1 hamster and 2 birds. We have our own little zoo around here. I love to do genealogy research, sew, crochet, and also civil war re-enactments. I make all of our "costumes" I love making the civil war dresses for my youngest and my self. we love to camp although we now have to do the spoiled type (camper) as our health no longer allows us to tent camp. I love to bake and cook. Adjusting to the gluten-free way of life has not been easy but getting easier for me.

#12 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,744 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:03 PM

I was a chef at a restaurant that catered to folks with food intolerances for many years, very sick at the time and didn't know I was one of them myself. :ph34r:
I have 2 wonderful grown children, one is a RN who completed 2 Bachlor degrees by age 22 and the other is studying Electrical Engineering.
I have worked in the school system as a long term sub with special ed kids and as a one on one with a TBI student (my most rewarding job).
I am an artist who works with stained glass mosaics, paints and does jewelry as a hobby.
I am also recovering from agoraphobia and PTSD and have come a long way the last couple years. I just completed the college courses I started in the 90's and got my diplomas in the mail today. :D
I am hoping to find a job in Human Service soon. Meanwhile I do volunteer work at a local food pantry and thrift shop, which I love doing.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#13 elye

elye

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,063 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:16 PM

Wow, such an accomplished, admirable bunch! :)
Well, I still haven't figured out what I want to be when I grow up. Until then, I remain an ESL teacher, to diplomats here in Ottawa's embassies. It is terrific work and the schedule is part-time and flexible, as I am self-employed and create my own hours. This leaves me much time to be with my two kids, two dogs, two cats... .. . . . ...and thank gawd, only ONE husband. Can nae imagine two o' those. . .. . ... <_< :rolleyes:

I am also a very starving artist - - I do pen and ink portrait work and commercial murals. My goal for the next couple of years is to consciously make more time for this very important, often cathartic activity.

I'm a runner - - got two big, energetic dogs that get me out there, and my type one diabetes keeps my Nikes hittin' the pavement.. . ..
Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973
diagnosed celiac winter 2005
diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! Posted Image

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.
--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

#14 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:18 PM

I was a chef at a restaurant that catered to folks with food intolerances for many years, very sick at the time and didn't know I was one of them myself. :ph34r:
I have 2 wonderful grown children, one is a RN who completed 2 Bachlor degrees by age 22 and the other is studying Electrical Engineering.
I have worked in the school system as a long term sub with special ed kids and as a one on one with a TBI student (my most rewarding job).
I am an artist who works with stained glass mosaics, paints and does jewelry as a hobby.
I am also recovering from agoraphobia and PTSD and have come a long way the last couple years. I just completed the college courses I started in the 90's and got my diplomas in the mail today. :D
I am hoping to find a job in Human Service soon. Meanwhile I do volunteer work at a local food pantry and thrift shop, which I love doing.

Well then!!!!! Here is something special for you!! Congratulations Raven.....

This song is sort of like college....ya gotta endure a lot just to get to the end. And the end is glorious!
Lisa

#15 Judy3

Judy3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:56 PM

I am an IT systems analyst. I spend my days at a computer trying to right the wrongs that so many people make on a gigantic computer system that is world wide. I have 2 grown sons, 2 cats and I love to read, cook and bake (getting kinda good at gluten free goodies heehee) I have decided to buy a lottery ticket every week now because I want to retire and it's too soon for me to do that... LOL

A beach, a coffee, and a good book are calling me in the distance I can feel it in the air.

:lol:
*Judy

Food allergies to fish, seafood, tree nuts, aspartame(Equal),flax seed, and many drugs
Stomach issues since childhood
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) age 6-44
Diabetes age 44 to present now going back to Hypoglycemia since gluten free.
Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2005 and it's gone now that I'm aspartame and gluten free. Hmmm
Celiac disease- negative test in 2009, positive tests in Nov. 2010
Gluten free started 11/08/2010
Genetic tests positive- DQ2, positive -DQ6 (?) negative- DQ8 11/15/2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: