This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Do You Do?

Lisa

Lisa Mentor

What do you do? :) It's so fascinating who walks with us, but in so many different ways.

Without offering too much personal information, what do you do for a career, a passion, a volunteer, a home maker......

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kareng Grand Master

What do you do? :) It's so fascinating who walks with us, but in so many different ways.

Without offering too much personal information, what do you do for a career, a passion, a volunteer, a home maker......

Some of you know and can skip over me.

I am a stay home mom of 2 teen boys. I volunteer in the school district at a wilderness center and with the High School Robotics team. I am a volunteer Smart A$$ on this website.

kareng Grand Master

Some of you know and can skip over me.

I am a stay home mom of 2 teen boys. I volunteer in the school district at a wilderness center and with the High School Robotics team. I am a volunteer Smart A$$ on this website.

What about you, Lisa?

What happened? Tried to add the "What about you"

curlyfries Contributor

How'd you do that? :unsure:

I am an interpreter and personal assistant for a learning-disabled hearing-impaired middle school student. My passion is dancing. Mostly west coast swing and salsa.

mushroom Proficient

Well, I am RE -tired, as in tired all my life so phinally made it formal and re-tired. Used to be a medical litigation paralegal in CA (which is what really tired me out) with lots of previous incarnations, all seeming to involve health or law. Phunny, I couldn't take care of my own health as well :unsure: Now I volunteer for the local Cancer Support Group, volunteer at the local school, lead the life of Lady Muck playing bridge and having "afternoon tea", (just went back to competitive bridge now I have my immune system a bit under control - kept catching viruses :( ), dabble a little in water color painting, mostly ignore :huh: my garden although I love gardens and belong to the garden club, and phlee the winter to spend summer in Nevada :D while Barb takes care of my baby, Miss Em.

Lisa Mentor

Ok! Called out...

Worked on Capital Hill in my pre married years. Worked with all the cogs that keep a small town rollin' (especially historic preservation). And raised two semi-well adjusted daughters without a college debt! :D And grandmother of the special one! ;)...my first, as you may know! :rolleyes:

mcc0523 Newbie

I am a musician, currently training to be a church organist. I've previously had voice and piano training, plus 7 years of band in school. I don't know exactly what I want to do with music, but it is more important to me than most anything else. I'm especially fond of Gregorian Chant, and sing with a Gregorian Chant Schola every Sunday.

I am a Trekkie and I know enough random Star Trek facts to completely blow anyone else out of the water were I on Jeopardy and it was one of the categories.

I'm glad that I've had to go gluten-free and cook most of my food, because I have discovered just how much I LOVE cooking! I think it would be neat if I could open a "Naturally Gluten-free" restaurant... if it didn't interfere with music, that is.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

I have been a registered x-ray/ct technologist for 16 years. I have always worked in a hospital setting with occasional moonlighting over the early years at an orthopedic office. I also did mammography for 15 months when I moved back north. I have been back south for 7 1/2 years now and currently work night shift. I work only 3 days one week and 4 the next so it enables me to be home more with my two boys. My passion is my job as a MOM. I also like to camp and I'm content just being outside. I love to garden and freeze and can my own food. I grew up on a farm and love animals. Some day I'm going to sell my house in town and find a place a little further up the mountain and raise me some critters. I want to raise milk goats and rabbits (meat rabbits) and the hubby wants emu's. The boys won't have a care where they live as long as they have a place to look for bugs and critters. :P

luvs2eat Collaborator

I was laid off 2 years ago from a really good job examining/investigating medical insurance claims and have been picking up freelance work doing QA for a transcription company. There are FEW jobs where I live (in the boonies of north central Arkansas) and I hesitate to commit to a full time (really low paying) job because my LOVE is the time I spend tutoring kids in reading (a fantastic program)and adults in ESL at the next town's Literacy Council. I can't (WON'T) give up the 2 days a week I spend there so I keep looking for work that can accommodate my volunteer work!

BethJ Rookie

What an interesting thread!

I'm sort of retired . . . are women ever really retired? We're self-employed managing our own real estate which has been quite a challenge in recent years. Before I married, I was a paralegal specializing in probate. My husband got his real estate broker's license so I quit to help with that.

I live in south Florida and I'm a mother to four cats. tongue.gif Two Siamese and two Oriental Shorthairs. I love to crochet and spend my evenings making afghans etc. for Open Original Shared Link

I have no children of my own but my husband has two living daughters. We have 3 grandchildren. We currently support 24 children and 2 families through Open Original Shared Link

I've always enjoyed cooking - and eating - so learning to live without gluten wasn't terribly hard. In a way, it's sort of fun creating old favorites that are safe for me. My husband gets gluten-free food unless he buys a loaf of bread or brings cookies home. The only thing he ever complained about was the gluten-free pasta. I solved that problem by buying two microwave cookers so he can have his own and I can have mine!

SuziQT0322 Newbie

I am a 45 yr old Disabled Veteran of the United States Army. I have PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). I was adopted at the age of 3 months. I have 3 children. 1.5 grand children. 1 grand biologically and another who will be completed upon the marriage of my eldest daughter. (psst...we still count her even now) I met and married my husband while we were both in service. My husband and I both do or did a lot of volunteer work in the community.

We are the proud owners of 3 dogs, and 2 cats, 1 hamster and 2 birds. We have our own little zoo around here. I love to do genealogy research, sew, crochet, and also civil war re-enactments. I make all of our "costumes" I love making the civil war dresses for my youngest and my self. we love to camp although we now have to do the spoiled type (camper) as our health no longer allows us to tent camp. I love to bake and cook. Adjusting to the gluten-free way of life has not been easy but getting easier for me.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I was a chef at a restaurant that catered to folks with food intolerances for many years, very sick at the time and didn't know I was one of them myself. :ph34r:

I have 2 wonderful grown children, one is a RN who completed 2 Bachlor degrees by age 22 and the other is studying Electrical Engineering.

I have worked in the school system as a long term sub with special ed kids and as a one on one with a TBI student (my most rewarding job).

I am an artist who works with stained glass mosaics, paints and does jewelry as a hobby.

I am also recovering from agoraphobia and PTSD and have come a long way the last couple years. I just completed the college courses I started in the 90's and got my diplomas in the mail today. :D

I am hoping to find a job in Human Service soon. Meanwhile I do volunteer work at a local food pantry and thrift shop, which I love doing.

elye Community Regular

Wow, such an accomplished, admirable bunch! :)

Well, I still haven't figured out what I want to be when I grow up. Until then, I remain an ESL teacher, to diplomats here in Ottawa's embassies. It is terrific work and the schedule is part-time and flexible, as I am self-employed and create my own hours. This leaves me much time to be with my two kids, two dogs, two cats... .. . . . ...and thank gawd, only ONE husband. Can nae imagine two o' those. . .. . ... <_<:rolleyes:

I am also a very starving artist - - I do pen and ink portrait work and commercial murals. My goal for the next couple of years is to consciously make more time for this very important, often cathartic activity.

I'm a runner - - got two big, energetic dogs that get me out there, and my type one diabetes keeps my Nikes hittin' the pavement.. . ..

Lisa Mentor

I was a chef at a restaurant that catered to folks with food intolerances for many years, very sick at the time and didn't know I was one of them myself. :ph34r:

I have 2 wonderful grown children, one is a RN who completed 2 Bachlor degrees by age 22 and the other is studying Electrical Engineering.

I have worked in the school system as a long term sub with special ed kids and as a one on one with a TBI student (my most rewarding job).

I am an artist who works with stained glass mosaics, paints and does jewelry as a hobby.

I am also recovering from agoraphobia and PTSD and have come a long way the last couple years. I just completed the college courses I started in the 90's and got my diplomas in the mail today. :D

I am hoping to find a job in Human Service soon. Meanwhile I do volunteer work at a local food pantry and thrift shop, which I love doing.

Well then!!!!! Here is something special for you!! Congratulations Raven.....

This song is sort of like college....ya gotta endure a lot just to get to the end. And the end is glorious!

Judy3 Contributor

I am an IT systems analyst. I spend my days at a computer trying to right the wrongs that so many people make on a gigantic computer system that is world wide. I have 2 grown sons, 2 cats and I love to read, cook and bake (getting kinda good at gluten free goodies heehee) I have decided to buy a lottery ticket every week now because I want to retire and it's too soon for me to do that... LOL

A beach, a coffee, and a good book are calling me in the distance I can feel it in the air.

:lol:

Jestgar Rising Star

I'm a research scientist studying the genetics of the innate immune system. I'm also working towards a degree in Biostatistics. For fun I do.....nothing. But I'm acquiring a big list of fun things to do when I'm done with school.

IrishHeart Veteran

This IS interesting and FUN to get to know you all a bit more! :)

I was an English Professor and taught a wide variety of courses, including ESL,technical writing, journalism, literature, and a few more. I loved my job! I had the pleasure of working with students of all ages, from many countries around the world.

I have an amazing husband, a sweet kitty, and we live in the countryside of upstate NY where we enjoy the quiet and the wildlife(something this Boston-bred city girl loves very much!!). I also love to garden, cook, read, write, travel, dance, swim, do yoga, and take photographs. We like to go to NYC, Florida, California, Ireland...anywhere we can!

All of these activities have been put "on hold" for 3 years because of this disease and the accompanying severe chronic pain that nearly crippled me.......

HOWEVER!! I WILL get well !! ...and as soon as I can, I intend to take them all up again! With a vengeance!! B)

Financialman Newbie

I am a financial writer, speaker, and author and it seems like one of the few men on this forum. I also teach financial topics in various colleges and universities near where I currently live in Southern Indiana. Previous careers included US Treasury Dept., tax accountant, insurance sales manager, stockbroker. Just about anything financially related. Love to read. Walk a lot. Volunteer, when I have time, at the local hospital. Nice to meet everyone.:D

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Well then!!!!! Here is something special for you!! Congratulations Raven.....

This song is sort of like college....ya gotta endure a lot just to get to the end. And the end is glorious!

Thanks Lisa

:):D:)

Mango04 Enthusiast

I have to post simply because I'm the third ESL teacher here so far. Is there some sort of connection between gluten and ESL that I'm unaware of? :unsure::lol:

Lisa Mentor

I have to post simply because I'm the third ESL teacher here so far. Is there some sort of connection between gluten and ESL that I'm unaware of? :unsure::lol:

:o:D Maybe sooo!

IrishHeart Veteran

hmm....That IS interesting! :blink::D:D

mommida Enthusiast

I guess I am too hyperactive to sit down and study to get a degree. So you just turn into a jack of all trades.

semi retired hairdresser

stay at home mom

cyber school learning coach for my kids

ice skating instructor (very part-time now days)

active with 4H (vet sciences, rabbit/cavvies, and community service group)

I also have a notebook of patent ideas, no big winner yet~but I'm working on it.

I am a research junkie (will search and study just about any topic)

I just joined a "ghost hunting" group

taught myself to knit last year, so I'm trying to figure something easy to make, but not another *&^ hat and scarf set made about 20 and my kids won't let me give any away

Pets...

My kids want to be vetrenarians when they grow up so...

One dog

one cat

a herd of rabbits (just 3! Holland Lops)

some goldfish too

Live Love Twillight Rookie

My career, profession, passion, and joy is being AWESOME, and twilight :D

love2travel Mentor

What an intriguing bunch! :D

My occupations have changed several times and now I do what I love. So, I teach cooking classes (that has now taken a slightly different direction as I now have celiac disease - am still in shock about that) and cater to small groups. My passions are cooking and travel. Oh, and books. I am also a volunteer at a shelter for women and children. Varied but interesting! I married my best friend who is fabulous and supportive and makes me laugh daily. We travel to Europe 2 or 3 times a year and will be moving there (we have our house, etc.). We are incredibly blessed. :D

Archived