• Please log in to reply

66 replies to this topic

#16 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:11 AM

I'm a research scientist studying the genetics of the innate immune system. I'm also working towards a degree in Biostatistics. For fun I do.....nothing. But I'm acquiring a big list of fun things to do when I'm done with school.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:04 PM

This IS interesting and FUN to get to know you all a bit more! :)

I was an English Professor and taught a wide variety of courses, including ESL,technical writing, journalism, literature, and a few more. I loved my job! I had the pleasure of working with students of all ages, from many countries around the world.

I have an amazing husband, a sweet kitty, and we live in the countryside of upstate NY where we enjoy the quiet and the wildlife(something this Boston-bred city girl loves very much!!). I also love to garden, cook, read, write, travel, dance, swim, do yoga, and take photographs. We like to go to NYC, Florida, California, Ireland...anywhere we can!

All of these activities have been put "on hold" for 3 years because of this disease and the accompanying severe chronic pain that nearly crippled me.......

HOWEVER!! I WILL get well !! ...and as soon as I can, I intend to take them all up again! With a vengeance!! B)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#18 Financialman

Financialman

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:41 PM

I am a financial writer, speaker, and author and it seems like one of the few men on this forum. I also teach financial topics in various colleges and universities near where I currently live in Southern Indiana. Previous careers included US Treasury Dept., tax accountant, insurance sales manager, stockbroker. Just about anything financially related. Love to read. Walk a lot. Volunteer, when I have time, at the local hospital. Nice to meet everyone.:D
Financialman

#19 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,747 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:06 PM

Well then!!!!! Here is something special for you!! Congratulations Raven.....

This song is sort of like college....ya gotta endure a lot just to get to the end. And the end is glorious!

Thanks Lisa
:) :D :)
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#20 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:45 PM

I have to post simply because I'm the third ESL teacher here so far. Is there some sort of connection between gluten and ESL that I'm unaware of? :unsure: :lol:
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#21 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:11 PM

I have to post simply because I'm the third ESL teacher here so far. Is there some sort of connection between gluten and ESL that I'm unaware of? :unsure: :lol:

:o :D Maybe sooo!
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#22 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:13 AM

hmm....That IS interesting! :blink: :D :D

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#23 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:25 AM

I guess I am too hyperactive to sit down and study to get a degree. So you just turn into a jack of all trades.
semi retired hairdresser
stay at home mom
cyber school learning coach for my kids
ice skating instructor (very part-time now days)
active with 4H (vet sciences, rabbit/cavvies, and community service group)
I also have a notebook of patent ideas, no big winner yet~but I'm working on it.
I am a research junkie (will search and study just about any topic)
I just joined a "ghost hunting" group
taught myself to knit last year, so I'm trying to figure something easy to make, but not another *&^ hat and scarf set made about 20 and my kids won't let me give any away

Pets...
My kids want to be vetrenarians when they grow up so...
One dog
one cat
a herd of rabbits (just 3! Holland Lops)
some goldfish too
Michigan

#24 Live Love Twillight

Live Love Twillight

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:00 AM

My career, profession, passion, and joy is being AWESOME, and twilight :D
"These violent delights have violent ends, and in their triumph die, like fire and powder, which, as they kiss, consume." ~Romeo & Juilet Act II Scene IV

I do not suffer from insanity-I enjoy every minute of it.

Friendship is like peeing on yourself-everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling it brings.

Be grateful for what you have today-you never know what tomorrow will bring. . .or take away.

Don't Worry Boys. . .I'm Gluten Free!!

#25 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:48 PM

What an intriguing bunch! :D

My occupations have changed several times and now I do what I love. So, I teach cooking classes (that has now taken a slightly different direction as I now have celiac disease - am still in shock about that) and cater to small groups. My passions are cooking and travel. Oh, and books. I am also a volunteer at a shelter for women and children. Varied but interesting! I married my best friend who is fabulous and supportive and makes me laugh daily. We travel to Europe 2 or 3 times a year and will be moving there (we have our house, etc.). We are incredibly blessed. :D
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#26 Wenmin

Wenmin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:21 PM

I teach middle school mathematics and am a part owner of a company that produces crab/shrimp boil. Love to cook, garden, read and travel. Used to volunteer with my local Relay for Life (we raised money for cancer research) team. Did some volunteer work with Katrina victims at my local university's church that catered to people and their pets. Proud momma of 2 rescue cats. Love animals.

#27 adab8ca

adab8ca

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:26 PM

This is fun! I am an Operations Manager for a Biotech company. No human kids, 2 orange cats, married almost 20 years (how did THAT happen). We live in Southern Ontario, Canada...my biggest hobby is photography which has been on hold since I thought I was dying and am just struggling to get better, day by day...
TTG >200 (normal <10)
IgA gliadin 24 (normal <11)
IgG gliadin 38 (normal <11)
Endoscopy showed damage that looked like "classic celiac", biopsy showed total villous atrophy
Started gluten-free diet Aug 31, 2010
Only real symptoms are huge weight loss and neuropathy

#28 Jungle

Jungle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:56 PM

I am a Domestic Goddess, wife and mother to 3 girls. Before I was at home full time I was an elementary school teacher. I'm sure one day I'll return to teaching but until then I am loving being home with my girlies and helping my husband with all sorts of things for his business as a logging contractor.

#29 yorkieluv

yorkieluv

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:36 PM

I am a mom to two beautiful daughters both adopted internationally. I live in the south and love animals (5 dogs). I am a CRNA-certified registered nurse anesthetist (anesthesia). I love to read, spend time with my childeren and husband, and go to the beach.

#30 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:52 PM

I fart, belch and scratch my rear at inappropriate moments. I am a male so what do you expect? :D

I also am a network project manager and work at home coordinating contractors doing network installations for the military. That's a bunch of fun so I do art on the side to keep from going wacko. I mostly make abstract encaustics right now. By my count that is 3 artists so far so the ESL teachers better watch out! By the way my 2nd wife was an ESL teacher so they are a force to be reckoned with.

I gotz one gray furry thing called Muffin the cat-head, or meow-head as the day may be. Muffin is now gluten-free also, but she doesn't like her gluten-free treats so far. I think she is in withdrawal.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: