This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Toddler Just Diagnosed-please Help

scotties-mom

scotties-mom Newbie

My little guy (20 months) was just diagnosed with this disease and we really haven't received much help. We have found the food to be SO expensive (we can only find it at wild oats). Does anyone know of a cheaper place to shop? We are spending almost 120.00 a week on food for him and he;s just a baby! :rolleyes: I went to a few online stores that seemed to have better prices, but the shipping more than doubled the cost of the food! Can you offer me any advice or directme into a less-expensive gluten free direction?.... B) I was also wondering if you have any easy, good recipes for gluten free breads. I made some banana bread from the recipe on the back of one of the gluten-free flour packages and it was horrible! Can anyone help?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

Hi, I haven't much time to reply right now but I'll come back to post later. The food is very expensive. I found a local coop that has saved us lots of money. Our ped. also recommend the coop as a way to meet others that have similar issues. They're several in our group who chose not to eat wheat because of personal issues and other health problems. You can check out united buying clubs website to get more information. Also, some health food stores will give you a discount if you purchase in large quanities. We're still trying to figure out what we like and plan to do that down the road!

Take Care, :)

Guest nini

My daughter was dx at 3, and YES the food is very expensive and because she had bad experiences with food she didn't want to try ANY of them.

I would suggest sticking with the basics for now with him. Basics being plain meats (baked chicken, turkey bologna or regular bologna -Oscar Meyers is gluten-free, Deli Meats - Boars Head is gluten-free as are some store brands, you just may have to do some research, Hamburger Meat w/o additives, Libby's Vienna Sausages, Plain Rice with Butter and Salt and Pepper, Potatoes- baked mashed , Vegetables like broccoli, carrots, peas, corn, and pure cheeses if he can tolerate dairy... Also basic fruits like apples, banana's, peaches, grapes, melons, are all good choices.

Once you get the hang of this part, try just adding ONE gluten-free product every couple of weeks, don't go out and buy every gluten-free thing you can find, most of them are terrible, some are good but it's hard to tell what he will like. Like I said, try one at a time and ask for reccommendations for products that others really like. If you are interested in my daughter's faves. just PM me or e-mail me at nisla@comcast.net

There are a lot of kid friendly "regular" products out there that are gluten-free, this board is a great resource for finding those products.

lbsteenwyk Explorer

scotties-mom:

I've used the Gluten Free Trading company for mail ordering products. They have a HUGE selection and only charge you the actual shipping costs. My orders of about $80 cost $7-8 to ship. Open Original Shared Link

I make most of our gluten-free baked goods at home and buy a few items at a local health food store. Mostly I buy the special flours to bake with. I think you can make far better products at home!

Remember this, too: You're son is very young and will likely adjust very easily to the taste of gluten free foods. You've been eating wheat for years so you will find the taste of gluten free foods very different from what you are used to. It does take a little time to appreciate the "different" taste of gluten-free products. Some of them truly are awful, but believe me, you can find some that are very good and you can also make baked goods that taste very similar to products made with wheat. Just remember, what tastes bad to you, may not taste the same way to your son. I've often been surprised at what my daughter thinks is good!

I have some good bread, muffin, pancake recipes, etc. I will try to post these later today. Right now my kids are begging me to take them outside!

Jnkmnky Collaborator

You don't need to buy all or even most of your foods from a *health food store*. Many products in your local store are gluten-free and you can use coupons for those items. Infact, if you weren't a big coupon user in the past, buy a Sunday paper tomorrow and start clipping. The money you save on your entire grocery bill can be applied to the specialty items you MUST purchase at the health food store or on line. Way back in the day, when I was first married, I began clipping coupons. I still do it because I get a lot of satisfaction seeing that I've saved anywhere between $10-$28. This savings will offset the new cost of food you're facing.

In the meantime, if I were facing financial difficulties and needed to purchase only the MUST haves from my local specialty stores, I'd buy: Tinkyada Pastas and Kinnikinnick White Tapioca Bread. That's it.

Most local health stores are carrying Tinkyada pastas; so that's easy enough. They are quality pastas that do not turn to mush, have the consistency of *regular pasta, and can be put in the fridge without turning into glop if your 20 month old doesn't finish the meal. They do cost more than regular pasta, though, so you would do best to prepare only enough for your son with the Tinkyada, while still preparing YOUR meals with regular grocery store pastas. Sauce from your local store can be found Gluten free, so no need for special sauces.

Kinnikinnick White Tapicoca bread is tasty, soft, chewy, doesn't crumble apart, has Large slices, so a half a sandwhich is meal sized for a toddler if you throw in a banana or a yogurt or french fries or whatever to round out the meal. You can order Kinnikinnick on line. I just got in 15 bags of the stuff. Yes, it's about $5 a bag and then there's shipping. But it's worth it as the only bread source you'll need. Life is easier when you can make and pack sandwiches for your child. I also think too much meat, ala Atkin's Diet, is not healthy for a young child.

That's really all you NEED to buy from the specialty stores. You will like the Kinnikinnick White Tapioca Bread as much as your child will.

From your regular grocery store you can purchase snacks:

fruits

veggies

Fritos corn chips

Cheetos

Lays Stax potato chips

Lays regular potato chips

cheese sticks

yogurts

cold cuts *read labels *ask deli clerks to wipe down slicer before slicing your order

raisins

nuts

make own trail mix

fruit snacks packs

popcorn

jello

pudding

rice pudding

rice crispy treats made with Post fruity pebbles or cocoa pebs

Meals:

Hot dogs Oscar Mayer

chili

beef stew

chicken soup

tacos

nachos

burritos made with corn tortillas

bologna Oscar Mayer

salad

rice Brown is more filling than white

Post fruity Pebbles Post Cocoa Pebbles

Classico Alfredo sauces are gluten free!

scrambled egg burritos on corn tortillas *hint for preparing corn tortillas* lightly warm on each side with a pat of butter* softens to texture of flour burritos!

bacon

You can make so many meals from the regular store. So many. Until your financial situation permits, you can make your son Pizza on a slice of Kinnikinnick bread. That's how my son still PREFERS it even though I have the Kinnikinnick crusts, and Chebe bread.

Many people here say they bake bread...Unless you totally dig baking (which I don't), I suggest sticking with Kinnikinnick. It's a total hit and miss proposition trying to bake gluten free. If your budget is tight, it's not worth the waste that's generated. If you can afford it, the Chocolate donuts from them are worth every penny. My child can only eat half a donut because they are very dense and filling. We put Pillsbury frosting on top. One bag is really double the servings for a small child, so that puts a new perspective on the cost. But you don't have to give a 20 month old donuts. In order to adjust to the new diet costs, you can take a very realistic approach, and purchase only the bread and pasta from the specialty shops.

When making stews and soups, be careful of broth starters. Go for the homemade approach. There are specialty broths and boullion starters, but you don't NEED them. Soup and stew is great done the old fashioned way.

If you can afford Chebe Bread, get that as well. Very versitile, makes great bisquits for stews, great cheesey bread sticks for "pizza". Reasonable price. But you don't NEED Chebe for everyday eating and going about town. I remember the days of a 20 month old. Finger foods that travel are important.

Good luck!

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Went through my pantry....

Velveeta cheese is gluten free. Makes mac and cheese with the Tinkyada pasta.

Manwich Sloppy Joe sauce is gluten free, mixed with chopped beef over noodles or rice or on bread.

French toast with Kinnikinnick

Craisins

Tuna fish

chicken salad

Breyer's Ice cream (check for malt)

deviled eggs

Juice pops

Kool-Aid

Potato salad

Celery sticks with peanut butter or cream cheese. Put "ants" (raisins) on.

Smoothies made with milk, fruit, yogurt, ice

carnation instant breakfasts (most gluten-free check label)

hormel Pepperoni chopped up for his Pizza

bananas dipped in chocolate

snickers (read for wheat in different sizes)

hershey's bars

chocolate chips

Strawberries dipped in chocolate

grapes dipped in chocolate *I dip, don't bake

M&Ms

You're really not that limited with a gluten free diet. After thinking about my response to your post, I'm considering all of the extras I buy for my son. I'm thinking that I really DON'T need so much of the stuff I buy him. He'd rather have watermellon than a gluten free cookie. Need the bread and pasta, that's really all.

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

I just wanted to say how helpful this post is. I'm still new to gluten-free and i'm going to print this post out to take shoping!!!!

Thanks. :):):)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Here are a few more for the regular grocery store:

Bush's baked beans

Old El Paso Taco sauce. I pour the mild over the ground beef after it's browned

La Choy soy sauce for chinese food

Rice cakes, read flavored varieties

Corn starch to make gravy and thicken stews *I didn't think of that for 4yrs!

olives

pickles

Kraft dressings will be clearly marked if their MFS contains gluten, so that will help you spice up your child's meals and find salad dressings your child likes.

lbsteenwyk Explorer

Jnkmnky has some great ideas for mainstream gluten-free meals. It's true, you can purchase most of your foods at the regular grocery store.

I haven't tried Kinnikinnick bread; it may be fabulous. One reason I make my own bread (and other baked goods) is because I feel they are more nutritious than most of the gluten-free products out there - which are primarily white rice flour and lots of tapioca or potato starch. I don't want my daughter to develop a taste for that. If she didn't have to be gluten free, I wouldn't be allowing regular white bread in her diet either! Most gluten free products aren't fortified with iron and B vitamins like regular bread, so I try to use the more nutritious flours in my baking. Here are a few favorite recipes:

gluten-free Pancakes or Waffles

This is a double recipe. I always freeze the extras for quick breakfasts during the week.

1 cup gluten-free flour (I use 2 parts brown rice flour, 2/3 part potato starch, 1/3 part tapioca flour)

1/2 cup sorghum flour

1/2 cup garbanzo flour

1/4 cup ground flax seeds

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp egg replacer (optional) from Ener-G Foods

2 eggs

1/4 cup canola oil

2 1/2 cups gluten-free buttermilk

Variation: Use 1/2 cup buckwheat flour, 1/4 cup sorghum and 1/4 cup garbanzo flour. Everything else is the same.

Mix all dry ingredients together, add the wet ingredients on top of the dry and mix the whole thing thoroughly. Cook for 3-4 minutes on a HOT griddle or waffle maker. To reheat from frozen, spread butter on first, then microwave for 1 minute.

Delicious Nutritious gluten-free Pumpkin Muffins

Makes 18 Muffins

1 1/2 cup Four Flour Bean Mix (from Bette Hagman's "The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread")

Four Flour Bean Mix:

2 cups garfava bean flour

1 cup sorghum flour

3 cups cornstarch

3 cups tapioca flour

1/2 cup buckwheat flour

1/4 cup ground flax seeds

1/4 cup rice bran

2 tsp baking soda

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp Xanthan gum

1 tsp Egg Replacer (optional)

2 tsp Cinnamon

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1 tsp powdered Ginger

2 tsp dried orange peel (optional)

2 cups mashed pumpkin (from a can)

4 eggs

6 Tbs Canola Oil

1/4 cup Molasses

1/4 cup Maple Syrup or Honey

Mix the wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls. Combine the 2 mixtures and mix thoroughly. Spoon into greased muffin cups and bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

Springy Cornbread

The best cornbread recipe I have found is from The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread. Here is her recipe:

1 cup Four Flour Bean Mix (see previous recipe)

1 cup yellow cornmeal

1/2 tsp xanthan gum

1 tsp egg replacer

1/4 cup sugar

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp baking powder

3/4 tsp salt

Note: I nearly always add 2 Tbs ground flax seed to the dry ingredients)

1 cup plain yogurt

2 eggs

2 tbs melted margarine (or butter, or oil)

1/4 cup orange juice

Mix the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients in separate bowls. Mix together, pour into greased 8" square pan and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. I find the shorter time is best.

Hayley's Special Bread

Make this in a bread machine. It would probably work in the oven too, though I haven't tried it that way.

2 tsp dry yeast

2 Cups Gluten Free Flour (I use 2 parts Brown rice flour, 2/3 part potato starch, 1/3 part tapioca flour)

1/4 cup ground flax seed

3 Tbs Sugar

2 tsp Xanthan gum

1 tsp Salt

2 Tbs Oil

2 Eggs

1 cup gluten-free Buttermilk

Put the ingredients in your bread machine in the order the manufacturer suggests. Scrape down the sides of the pan during the first kneading. This is a mild flavored bread that works well for sandwiches, cinnamon toast, french toast, etc. It is especially good for grilled cheese sandwiches!

I know these recipes seem to have a lot of ingredients. If you want to bake, the days of using one type of flour are gone. I want to stress that once you have this stuff in your kitchen and you've made up a batch of the basic gluten free flour mix (keep it stored in the fridge), this is really not hard. I can make all of these recipes in 10 minutes or less, not including baking time. Of course that changes when my little ones want to help! I really encourage my daughter to get involved with the baking process. Baking is going to be an essential life skill for her!

Another note, some ingredients like Xanthan gum and Egg replacer are expensive. But remember that you only use a small amount each time you bake. An 8 oz bag of Zanthan gum costs about $11, but you'll probably only buy it twice a year. I'm still working on the same box of Egg Replacer that I started with over 6 months ago. These ingredients really help the texture of gluten free baked goods, so in my opinion, they are well worth the expense.

Good luck! PM me if you want more recipes or other advice about baking. :)

lisabp Newbie

You guys have the greatest answers. I was also rather lost amonth ago when I had to start this. Our whole family is now gluten-free as my husband is positive and my daughter and I are fine eating gluten-free. She has her stash of Cheerios and that's it.

The main suggestion that I would make is to just concentrate on regular food that is naturally gluten-free. You've already heard that from lots of people.

Fruit, veggies, beans, rice, cheese, meat...you're just going to have to do a bit more cooking and perhaps make double batches to heat up later since you won't have as many microwave meals to choose from. Assume you're on an Atkins diet and add fruit, rice and potatoes if that makes it work better.

Snacks are fine if you do Doritos (most flavors), tortilla chips, potato chips. I'm buying the Ener-G pretzels (1.69 for a TINY bag at HEB) because that's what my son loves the most and would miss the most. I've been getting elbow macaroni and making my own cheese sauce for Mac and Cheese. My sin is VERY forgiving on that as long as there is lots and lots of cheese.

We're buying some bread (again at HEB) but not too much. I like to bake and I've been playing with makjing my own bread (I did it before anyway). We just make some chocolate chip cookines with Pamela's baking mix (it is THE BEST for pancakes) and they are great too. HEB and Randalls and Albertson's all have frozen waffles that are gluten-free.

I bought way too much very expensive stuff that tasted awful a month ago and I'm doing better already. The one thing I have been told about baking gluten-free is that you have to add flavor to whatever you are making becaus the flours that you make simply don't taste like anything. You should have tried the "flour" tortillas I tried to make, they were like cardboard.

Pretty soon you'll figure out what specialty stuff you can't do without and sideline the rest of it. For example, I ordered some of the Amaranth O's since they were the only gluten-free O's cereal I could find and they were just horrible. No ned to waste money on that again.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Open Original Shared Link

My kid has never had Doritos, so I was concerned when I saw them mentioned. :o Here's a link to what's gluten free from fritolay. It seems there are two versions of doritos that are gluten free. I know the red bag isn't gluten-free. It says wheat right on the package.

To the original poster: You have internet access. The best thing to do is google your favorite food companies and check for a gluten free list. If they don't have one, email and ask. Most are very helpful.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

I'm wrong. Here's another link to more varieties of D's.

Guest taweavmo3

Regarding Doritos.....aren't the Cool Ranch gluten free as well? I'm thinking they aren't on that list because they contain caesin. I'll have to call and double check, but they are on one of my lists somewhere, and I just bought two bags. Hope they are gluten-free!!!

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Warning, warning! I was right the first time! That second link just names the dorito variety....Blah! That second link had nothing to do with gluten free.

lisabp Newbie

Wow! You really have to keep a look out.

That list posted before was gluten AND casein free. I have a print out in front of me, also dates March 1, 2005, of gluten free items from the Frito Lay website and now I can't find that page. (it lists 19 different kinds of Doritos, by the way, including cooler ranch).

I have a bag of Spicier Nacho Doritos in fron of me that does NOT says contains wheat and the list does not have anything that look sdangerous. But if I go to the link on the Frito Lay page and pull up the ingredients list for this same thing, it says wheat flour on it!

It looks like Frito Lay has redesigned their web site. I hope they haven't redesigned their products as well!!!!! :blink:

lisabp Newbie

There it is...I had to go to google and do a search for the title of the page:

Frito-Lay: Products not containing gluten"

JacobsMom Contributor

My little one is 2 1/2 and at first I freaked out b/c of the cost of foods but you learn what you can buy in the regular grocery that is regular foods that you just eat....I think my biggest was that I couldnt just go and buy cookies and snack cakes for him which isnt healthy for him anyway so I am glad that he doesnt get it....I do still buy SOME stuff from websites or Wild Oats because I work full time and it is just easier for me!! He goes to daycare also and it works good for them too..

The special stuff is

Amys gluten-free mac and cheese...I only buy this for Daycare...I made it homemade from Tinyada pasta and velvetta at home.

gluten-free Frozen waffels

the little bags of gluten-free Pretzels...Mine loves pretzels...I wish I could find a HUGE bag:)

The rest of it is just regular stuff that we would buy anyway:)

You will learn....Just be patient and this group of people are wonderful with suggestions....We found out on a Friday that Jacob had Celiac and I promise I went to the store Saturday and just cried the whole time...I was so scared...

There is a CSA gluten-free product listing book that is like 50.00 but it is a lifesaver...I have mine at home..I will post the site to order it if you dont have it...Someone on here may can post it before I get home.

Good Luck

scotties-mom Newbie

Thank you so much for all these postings. I just went through all of these emails and made a grocery list. :) I really appreciate your reponses. I printed out all the recipes and I'm going to try them. One of the biggest problems for me is the that the breads are really thick and he just doesn't like it. I can't find the tapioca bread, but I bought the ingredients to make some, so I'm going to try. Thank you also for the pasta sauce that is gluten-free. I was unaware of that. He loves pasta, so I'm going to check that out! :) THank you again everyone. Do any of you take, or give your children supplements? I have been looking through other message boards and there seem to be so many problems he'll have to face later on and I want to do everything I can to keep the problems away. Do you do vitamins or Pediasure drinks? I've been doing those and I don't know if it's necessary. His doctor did tell me to keep him on the pediasure. What do you guys think?

Thank you again~!!

Scotts mom :)

Jnkmnky Collaborator

www.kinnikinnick.com has the tapioca white bread. They also have brown rice breads for more whole grain goodness. Both are moist and chewy, not dry and crumbly. I lightly toast my son's bread because he is 7 and has loose teeth. He has no problem eating it and I use it and like it and I'm a bread addict.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

About suppliments...I've never used them for any of my children. I believe a varied diet, with all the healthy fruits, veggies, proteins, etc is enough. So far, I've been proven right. We moved last year and got a new dr. She decided my son's celiac warranted testing for vitamins, iron, blah blah blah blood test. So I decided she may have a point and said we should do it. He had his blood drawn and his tests were all great. She acted surprised. Like just because he has C.D. he's going to be nutritionally deprived. Then she went on about his diet. Her discussion was like out of the dark ages going on about how it must be so difficult to feed him everyday and how I need to use RICE flour to bake..... I told her they make and sell all the foods he needs and I do NOT have to bake his bread or struggle on a daily basis to feed him. She was totally unaware of how to feed a Celiac. She was surprised I there was a store in town that had everything I needed to pack a lunch box for school. Maybe when a child is first diagnosed, it's a good idea to throw in a vitamin to get the kid back on track nutritionally. That would make sense. But Pediasure seems like such a racket to me. It also gets the kid hooked on sweetened, caloric drinks everyday. There are circumstances that would reguire some additional calories, or extra vitamins, etc... but in general, I think it's best to get your nutrition from food your body has to actually work at digesting.

lbsteenwyk Explorer

JacobsMom

You can get a large 14 oz bag of those gluten free pretzels from The Gluten Free Trading Company. My local health food store carries the large bag, but I've seen it listed on the gluten-free Trading Co's website.

www.food4celiacs.com

lbsteenwyk Explorer

I do give my daughter a multivitamin-mineral. We use Animal Parade. My daughter is very picky and does not eat a lot of fruits and vegetables so I look at the vitamin as insurance. If your child eats a varied diet, though, you probably do not need a multi.

I have used both Boost and Ensure for my kids, but never straight. I usually add 2 ounces to 4-6 ounces of milk. I started this for extra calories for my daughter because she was underweight. My son's weight is fine, but he's not a milk drinker, and the boost/milk combo gets him to drink the milk. Now it's just become a night time routine - they get their "milkshakes" before going to bed.

• 1 year later...
stellal Newbie
My little guy (20 months) was just diagnosed with this disease and we really haven't received much help. We have found the food to be SO expensive (we can only find it at wild oats). Does anyone know of a cheaper place to shop? We are spending almost 120.00 a week on food for him and he;s just a baby! :rolleyes: I went to a few online stores that seemed to have better prices, but the shipping more than doubled the cost of the food! Can you offer me any advice or directme into a less-expensive gluten free direction?.... B) I was also wondering if you have any easy, good recipes for gluten free breads. I made some banana bread from the recipe on the back of one of the gluten-free flour packages and it was horrible! Can anyone help?
stellal Newbie

hi my name is stella and i have a 17 year old daughter who was diagnosised 3 years ago took drs three yrs to finally say yes she has celiac. she recently had a blood test check up after being on gluten free diet for a yr and she didn't have any trace of gluten in body hopefully she is finally healing up. still has flare ups and digestive problems heartburn. u can go to this websites for foods glutenlist.pdf and glutenmedlist.pdf and clanthompson.com for list of food u can buy in the stores.. also like doritos, cheetos, oscar myer. hormel. call the 800 numbers and they will help u and send u info on their products. my daughter Katie loves the glutano spiral noodles then she puts her own shredded kraft cheese on them. my krogers carry some products.gluten free mall, drug emporioum carries some products, wild oats but u can eat some regular food go to these websites it will help u like pickles,snacks,etc. drinks, can have koolaid and certain jello and puddings.hope this helps God Bless all of u that have this disease. u can email if u want to talk or ask questions will try to help. stella_lancaster2002@yahoo.com for any one who wants to chat or need info we can all help each other. thank u have a good day stella

GFBetsy Rookie

One of my children has celiac, so we all eat gluten free most of the time. (The only exceptions are cereals and bread.) I spend $340 per month on food, for a family of 6 (2 adults, one 7 year old, one 4 year old, and two 2 year olds). There can be some initial greater outlay for flours/xanthan gum, etc., but if you are willing to cook, this diet shouldn't be that expensive. As others said, keeping it simple with basic foods will make things cheaper.

Try the banana bread recipe on the website www.eatingglutenfree.com. It's really good. And for good "made from scratch" recipes for dinner, try Leanne Ely's cookbook Saving Dinner.

Good luck!

Archived