This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Maddies Issues

Maddiesmom

Maddiesmom Newbie

not sure where to start my daughter is 3years 5 months old and she has had diareah since April of last year. She has a long list of issuse but I don't think they are related. she was born premature and developed MRSA staff infection from the NNICU where she was put on strong antibotics and hoping she would make it throught the night, she survived that with several other Staff infections until a year and a half of life we have had several kidney infections and respotory, But clear ups with antibotics. Last April she got a Strep infections and they put her on antibotics and about the time she seem to be getting better my 12 year old son got a stomach virus and less than a week she start with the same symptoms, diareah and vomiting with low grade temp. We waited it out a week and she was worse than she was when symptons started we went to ER and they sent us home (Virus they say)two days later still throwing up and to the point of choking so we go back to ER they give us fluids and send us home again still saying a virus the next day she was worse again so back to ER for 3rd time and they give us zofran and send us home again. My family doctor was out of town during all this time but the day after the third ER visit he was back intown and we went in to see him, on this day not only did she still have diarah and throwing up but now starting to wheeze. When we got there he put her in the hospital for test and IV fluids to make a long story short

we went home and came back in the same week and she had a baceria infection that didn't cause stomach issues but respotory so they did IV antibotics for 3 days sent us home on more antibotics two weeks later still diareah we got a appt with gastrologist ended up with a enoscopy, ultrasound, MRI (to rule out brain tumor)

Flagy antibotics, probotics and all they found was very mild gastritis which was probably due to the throwing up. They did not find any parisites or Celiacs or Chrons or Colitis now she did test positive for one of the bands of Colitis but when they did the biopsies it said negative. Few more months go by and my family doctor puts her back in for more test, more for parasits, uranasis, barium x-ray,

blood cultures and found nothing the gastrologist ordered a colonoscopy and enocopy in November they did more bioypsies and found nothing abnormal but still mild gastritis and put us on nexium. My family doctor made us a appoinment with a Immunology/Allergy doctor and test all came back in the normal range, these were Stool studies and blood studies they were for more parisites and more on her immunie system and another blood test for Celiacs all of these came back normal.

I was hoping something would show so we knew how to fix it. I did not mention that during most of this time on occasions she would run a very low grad temp around 99.8 until they put her on the nexium she would poop 6 to 11 times a day no exaggeration and her stomach cramps really bad since the nexium she goes 2 to 4 but still stomach cramps. Her poop is always watery or soft and very light in color occasionaly green. It is hardly rare that it is in a formed shape and meduim brown in color. The Immunologist did mention that there was something kind of like Celiacs but was with Frutose and she did drink alot of juice (100% no sugar added) and she eat alot of fruit I am grasping for straws has anyone out there had any simular experiences that tested negative. I have heard and not sure how true but sometimes on kids it might now show a positive up until around 5 or 6 years of age. Another thing is I have read on this website that is can be triggered by virus, surgery ect. Every since she got got sick after my son had the stomach virus

and his only lasted two days every since then she has pretty much had diareah or some type of stomach issue it is like something set it off.

The throwing up had stopped about July but diareah continuned on. Sorry my post is so chopped up there is just alot of detail and I am afraid I will miss a important piece. anyone got any suggestions I am up for anything I hate to see her so sick.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

you did mean that she had an endoscopy with biopsy?

My daughter was diagnosed with Eosinophilic Esophagitus. Now the Eosinophilic gastro. disorders diagnoses are really going up lately. No one can say for sure why. Better diagnostic capabilities? increased knowledge? or is the population just developing the complications more? The red flag for telling you about eosinophils. It is a tricky diagnoses, normal tissue needs to be biopsied and the test simply needs to be ordered by the gastro. The eosinophil is usually activated by parasites (which the doctor has repeatedly checked your child for.) Children with EE usually show negative results for allergy testing.

Your little one definately needs to be on a diet of foods that will be easy to digest and easy on the system. An elimination diet takes time and diligence, but seems to be one of the only options for you at this point. Make sure your testing for Celiac, fructose, or eosinophilic disorders is done. (if you remove the "trigger" food all tests are invalid and useless)

Maddiesmom Newbie

you did mean that she had an endoscopy with biopsy?

My daughter was diagnosed with Eosinophilic Esophagitus. Now the Eosinophilic gastro. disorders diagnoses are really going up lately. No one can say for sure why. Better diagnostic capabilities? increased knowledge? or is the population just developing the complications more? The red flag for telling you about eosinophils. It is a tricky diagnoses, normal tissue needs to be biopsied and the test simply needs to be ordered by the gastro. The eosinophil is usually activated by parasites (which the doctor has repeatedly checked your child for.) Children with EE usually show negative results for allergy testing.

Your little one definately needs to be on a diet of foods that will be easy to digest and easy on the system. An elimination diet takes time and diligence, but seems to be one of the only options for you at this point. Make sure your testing for Celiac, fructose, or eosinophilic disorders is done. (if you remove the "trigger" food all tests are invalid and useless)

Thank you very much for your reply I will defintley research Eosinophilic Esophagitus, we have taken her off all juice, we will try this for a few more weeks then we will try glutten, and dairy (which she don't consume alot of) next.

We go back on April 12 for a Cystic Fibrous test and a few more on her immune system. I do know if she is ever on antibotics it makes it 10 times worse.

The just now released a new Greek yogurt for Children we are also trying that this week. Again Thank you very much I am up for any suggestion, we have worried so much.

Archived