19 replies to this topic

#1 mcbeez

mcbeez

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:27 PM

I wait up almost every night DRENCHED in sweat. My boyfriend woke me up last night to make sure I was ok, because my hair was soaked. Has this happened to anyone else, and how do you cope with it? I was diagnosed on Tuesday and started gluten-free diet then. Do you think this is part of Celiac?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AZGirl

AZGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:35 PM

OMG!!! I had this happen to me a few weeks ago. It happened for about a week and then just went away. I also had one of my feet swell for no apparent reason a day later. My hair was also falling out dramatically so I made an appt for my endocrinologist, thinking thyroid. He did a bunch of tests and they all came back normal, so I have to think it was something Celiac.

I also had it happen last night.(I don't always wake up when it happens, but my hair is curling and gross looking in the am so I know it was wet sometime.) I have been recovering from a CC issue with a Multi Vitamin I tried. It has wheat and barley grass. Grass doesn't have gluten so I thought I was safe. It turned out to be one of the worst gluttenings I've ever had. It was sheer agony.

Anyway, I don't know for sure if my night sweats are related, but it sure is plausible.

Thanks for posting. It will be interesting to see if there are others who have the same issue.

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,058 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:43 PM

Before I was diagnosed, I had night sweats, and cold sweats during the day. I would wake up with the bedding wet sometimes. During the day I would sometimes become nauseous and and break into a cold sweat. All of this went away post-diagnosis once I went gluten-free.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 minidobie

minidobie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:31 PM

I have the same problem, If I eat anything with wheat or gluten I wake up with night sweats, rapid heart beat and chest pains, my doctor said this is because of a
massive allergic reaction to wheat. Since I have been on a gluten free diet the symptoms cleared up. I only eat chicken steak etc, veggies and fruit no processed foods.

#5 twinkle-toez

twinkle-toez

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:04 AM

I wait up almost every night DRENCHED in sweat. My boyfriend woke me up last night to make sure I was ok, because my hair was soaked. Has this happened to anyone else, and how do you cope with it? I was diagnosed on Tuesday and started gluten-free diet then. Do you think this is part of Celiac?

The sort of night sweats you are describing is one of my biggest symptoms of being gluten-ed. Pre-gluten-free I was waking up 3 times a night and literally wringing out my pyjamas (and putting dry ones on) and wringing out my hair. As for the bedding - it woudl just be drenched, so I always had a stack of towels next to the bed that I could put down b/c it got ridiculous to try and change the bedding that often (plus I sleep with my fiance, and disturbing him that often would have been awful). It was so bad our sheets are permanently stained from it. If I'm gluten-ed I"ll have night sweats for about 3 nights afterwards. The gluten-free diet definitely resolved my night sweats though.

#6 Wolicki

Wolicki

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:31 AM

I used to have terrible night sweats and hot flashes during the day. Since I went gluten free, it's never happened again :D Thank God because it was awful. My routine was wake up soaked, get up change my jammies, change the sheets, back to sleep, up again, take off jammies and sheets, then sleep in tshirt on towels. Sure am glad that business stopped!
Gluten free is not so bad! If you are new, hang it there, it gets easier!

#7 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:00 PM

Similar threads:

Very Bad Night Sweating...what Could It Be?

I'm Hot

Can We Talk About Body Temperature Regulation? Is this celiac-related or something else?

I had the night sweats too. Gone now but I had to eliminate a lot of foods besides gluten to get rid of them. I think they are caused by a constant low level fever from irritation of some kind. But I think lots of things...
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#8 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:06 PM

I also had night sweats before going gluten-free, and rarely got a full night of uninterrupted sleep.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#9 mcbeez

mcbeez

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:38 AM

This is blowing my mind! And they really have stopped since I've gone gluten-free, despite the definite rise in temp outside over the last week. It's great to actually be in tune with my body and be able to see these changes both physically and emotionally. You guys are superstars!

#10 jenngolightly

jenngolightly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:40 PM

I had the night sweats too. Gone now but I had to eliminate a lot of foods besides gluten to get rid of them. I think they are caused by a constant low level fever from irritation of some kind. But I think lots of things...

I also had to eliminate other foods to get rid of the night sweats.

Another help for me? I got new pillows. I'm not sure if it was the filling of the old pillows, or if the old pillows were just... old.
Jenn
dx celiac 9/2007: gluten-free 9/2007
corn intolerant: corn-free 5/2010
nut allergy: nut-free 8/2010

#11 MEH

MEH

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:09 PM

I've had night sweats for ten years!

I thought I must have had the earliest and longest menopause in history!

I've been (trying to be) gluten free for almost three weeks, and come to think of it, I haven't had any night sweats since then.

Gosh, everyday, I connect one more dot!

I am sleeping better, too. I used to wake up once or twice during the night and couldn't get back to sleep...

#12 Scarlett January

Scarlett January

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:39 AM

Oh my god, YESSSSSS! I was looking at a thread about people's symptoms and no one mentioned the sweating. Night sweats have ALWAYS been a symptom for me. For a period of several weeks at one point, before I knew what the problem was, I would wake up several times a night so soaked I had to shower. And yes I literally could have rung the sweat out of my shirt and pajama pants (as someone else mentioned they had to.) Ugh! It was awful.

I can always tell I've eaten gluten when I wake up the next day feeling achy, sweaty, and cold with numb/tingly hands.

#13 Trying2GetHelp

Trying2GetHelp

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

Oh my gosh. I'm just being tested for celiac disease, but I've been complaining of night sweats and hot/cold intolerance (can't regulate body so entire temperature setting is comfortable) for years. I feel warm so I turn on a fan, then I get cool so bundle in a blanket, then I get warm so I turn the fan of, and on, and on, and on, etc.

Just as I started typing, my hands started itching and swelling again. I've been eating potato chips with a friend, but they say "Gluten Free." ??

#14 BELMO33

BELMO33

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

Oh my gosh. I'm just being tested for celiac disease, but I've been complaining of night sweats and hot/cold intolerance (can't regulate body so entire temperature setting is comfortable) for years. I feel warm so I turn on a fan, then I get cool so bundle in a blanket, then I get warm so I turn the fan of, and on, and on, and on, etc.

Just as I started typing, my hands started itching and swelling again. I've been eating potato chips with a friend, but they say "Gluten Free." ??

I've always had "streaky" night sweats where I can go months at a time sometimes even a year or two with no problem and then I repeteadly wake up sweating most nights in a span of a week or two, never could really connect it to anything but remarkably when its happening it can do so even with brief sleep periods, I've gone to bed at 2am and woke up sweating at 3 or sometimes can even take a brief nap during the day and have it occur.

#15 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:03 AM

I started sweating after going gluten free. About 2 weeks into being gluten free it started... Lasted 2 weeks and went away. Then again a month later for about 5-6 nights.... Apart from the occasional sweat now (which I attribute to just too many bed clothes tbh)... I am sweat free! I have cut out some major foods... But I do think for me the sweats were more to do with detoxing and my hormones kicking up a level once I removed the gluten. The body has to readjust everything I guess?

Diagnosed Celiac Oct 2012 (Blood and Biopsy)
Gluten free / Dairy free / Caffeine / Almost sugar free / Tobacco free 2012. Corn free 2013
Vegetarian since 1986 / Asthmatic since 1990 / Migraines since 1998

Symptoms: Classical GI symptoms. Fibromyalgia. Odd pains. Bone aches. Severe headaches. Severe depression. Anxiety. Diagnosed with severe anaemia. Severe Vit D deficiency. Boderline Folate & B12 Defiency.

Since being gluten free... initially felt better for a month, still suffer with loose bowels, am currently struggling with many more allergies and intolerances to foods, such as dairy, egg, celery, oranges, tomatoes, quinoa, seeds,... Pressure hives (from Feb 2013) / Having bad leg aches during periods (June 2013)

(Marked in bold, these problems have been resolved)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: