This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Night Sweats?

mcbeez

mcbeez Rookie

I wait up almost every night DRENCHED in sweat. My boyfriend woke me up last night to make sure I was ok, because my hair was soaked. Has this happened to anyone else, and how do you cope with it? I was diagnosed on Tuesday and started gluten-free diet then. Do you think this is part of Celiac?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AZGirl Rookie

OMG!!! I had this happen to me a few weeks ago. It happened for about a week and then just went away. I also had one of my feet swell for no apparent reason a day later. My hair was also falling out dramatically so I made an appt for my endocrinologist, thinking thyroid. He did a bunch of tests and they all came back normal, so I have to think it was something Celiac.

I also had it happen last night.(I don't always wake up when it happens, but my hair is curling and gross looking in the am so I know it was wet sometime.) I have been recovering from a CC issue with a Multi Vitamin I tried. It has wheat and barley grass. Grass doesn't have gluten so I thought I was safe. It turned out to be one of the worst gluttenings I've ever had. It was sheer agony.

Anyway, I don't know for sure if my night sweats are related, but it sure is plausible.

Thanks for posting. It will be interesting to see if there are others who have the same issue.

psawyer Proficient

Before I was diagnosed, I had night sweats, and cold sweats during the day. I would wake up with the bedding wet sometimes. During the day I would sometimes become nauseous and and break into a cold sweat. All of this went away post-diagnosis once I went gluten-free.

minidobie Newbie

I have the same problem, If I eat anything with wheat or gluten I wake up with night sweats, rapid heart beat and chest pains, my doctor said this is because of a

massive allergic reaction to wheat. Since I have been on a gluten free diet the symptoms cleared up. I only eat chicken steak etc, veggies and fruit no processed foods.

twinkle-toez Apprentice

I wait up almost every night DRENCHED in sweat. My boyfriend woke me up last night to make sure I was ok, because my hair was soaked. Has this happened to anyone else, and how do you cope with it? I was diagnosed on Tuesday and started gluten-free diet then. Do you think this is part of Celiac?

The sort of night sweats you are describing is one of my biggest symptoms of being gluten-ed. Pre-gluten-free I was waking up 3 times a night and literally wringing out my pyjamas (and putting dry ones on) and wringing out my hair. As for the bedding - it woudl just be drenched, so I always had a stack of towels next to the bed that I could put down b/c it got ridiculous to try and change the bedding that often (plus I sleep with my fiance, and disturbing him that often would have been awful). It was so bad our sheets are permanently stained from it. If I'm gluten-ed I"ll have night sweats for about 3 nights afterwards. The gluten-free diet definitely resolved my night sweats though.

Wolicki Enthusiast

I used to have terrible night sweats and hot flashes during the day. Since I went gluten free, it's never happened again :D Thank God because it was awful. My routine was wake up soaked, get up change my jammies, change the sheets, back to sleep, up again, take off jammies and sheets, then sleep in tshirt on towels. Sure am glad that business stopped!

GFinDC Veteran

Similar threads:

Very Bad Night Sweating...what Could It Be?

I'm Hot

Can We Talk About Body Temperature Regulation? Is this celiac-related or something else?

I had the night sweats too. Gone now but I had to eliminate a lot of foods besides gluten to get rid of them. I think they are caused by a constant low level fever from irritation of some kind. But I think lots of things...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I also had night sweats before going gluten-free, and rarely got a full night of uninterrupted sleep.

mcbeez Rookie

This is blowing my mind! And they really have stopped since I've gone gluten-free, despite the definite rise in temp outside over the last week. It's great to actually be in tune with my body and be able to see these changes both physically and emotionally. You guys are superstars!

jenngolightly Contributor

I had the night sweats too. Gone now but I had to eliminate a lot of foods besides gluten to get rid of them. I think they are caused by a constant low level fever from irritation of some kind. But I think lots of things...

I also had to eliminate other foods to get rid of the night sweats.

Another help for me? I got new pillows. I'm not sure if it was the filling of the old pillows, or if the old pillows were just... old.

MEH Apprentice

I've had night sweats for ten years!

I thought I must have had the earliest and longest menopause in history!

I've been (trying to be) gluten free for almost three weeks, and come to think of it, I haven't had any night sweats since then.

Gosh, everyday, I connect one more dot!

I am sleeping better, too. I used to wake up once or twice during the night and couldn't get back to sleep...

Scarlett January Newbie

Oh my god, YESSSSSS! I was looking at a thread about people's symptoms and no one mentioned the sweating. Night sweats have ALWAYS been a symptom for me. For a period of several weeks at one point, before I knew what the problem was, I would wake up several times a night so soaked I had to shower. And yes I literally could have rung the sweat out of my shirt and pajama pants (as someone else mentioned they had to.) Ugh! It was awful.

I can always tell I've eaten gluten when I wake up the next day feeling achy, sweaty, and cold with numb/tingly hands.

• 1 year later...
Trying2GetHelp Newbie

Oh my gosh. I'm just being tested for celiac disease, but I've been complaining of night sweats and hot/cold intolerance (can't regulate body so entire temperature setting is comfortable) for years. I feel warm so I turn on a fan, then I get cool so bundle in a blanket, then I get warm so I turn the fan of, and on, and on, and on, etc.

Just as I started typing, my hands started itching and swelling again. I've been eating potato chips with a friend, but they say "Gluten Free." ??

BELMO33 Newbie

Oh my gosh. I'm just being tested for celiac disease, but I've been complaining of night sweats and hot/cold intolerance (can't regulate body so entire temperature setting is comfortable) for years. I feel warm so I turn on a fan, then I get cool so bundle in a blanket, then I get warm so I turn the fan of, and on, and on, and on, etc.

Just as I started typing, my hands started itching and swelling again. I've been eating potato chips with a friend, but they say "Gluten Free." ??

I've always had "streaky" night sweats where I can go months at a time sometimes even a year or two with no problem and then I repeteadly wake up sweating most nights in a span of a week or two, never could really connect it to anything but remarkably when its happening it can do so even with brief sleep periods, I've gone to bed at 2am and woke up sweating at 3 or sometimes can even take a brief nap during the day and have it occur.

designerstubble Enthusiast

I started sweating after going gluten free. About 2 weeks into being gluten free it started... Lasted 2 weeks and went away. Then again a month later for about 5-6 nights.... Apart from the occasional sweat now (which I attribute to just too many bed clothes tbh)... I am sweat free! I have cut out some major foods... But I do think for me the sweats were more to do with detoxing and my hormones kicking up a level once I removed the gluten. The body has to readjust everything I guess?

Smylinacha Apprentice

Me too....major night drenches for the last 5 years and 3.5 weeks going gluten free they are going away. I accidentally got glutened on my mother in law's chicken soup on Sunday and the sweats came back and I was couch bound all day with chills and a backache and a rash Sunday night through Monday.

CaliSparrow Collaborator

I didn't get the night sweats UNTIL AFTER going gluten-free. It was happening during the crazy beginner's roller coaster ride that most of us seem to go through at the start. It seems to me that my body went through hell those first few months. My period stopped. I thought maybe I was hitting menopause. However, everything has returned to normal. No menopause. No night sweats. Maybe it was the withdrawals people talk about. I wasn't aware of feeling like I was in withdrawal from gluten since it made me so sick when I ingested it. Anything feels better than that! Maybe I was so confused (very!) that the withdrawals were hard to distinguish apart from everything else. Anyway, my body seems to have normalized where those are concerned.

I hope this happens for you.

Cali

• 10 months later...
herring-gull Newbie

Guys.

I used to get really bad night sweats as in a really soaking t shirt, bed sheets and then waking with a sore throat and a smell that would be banned under the Geneva Convention (the smell both repulsed and interested me at the same time). Lord have mercy it were right bad.

It turns out I am allergic to fresh milk or rather one of its ingrediants. I know this only because of self~trial~by~error~diagnosis.

I can even remember how it first started. Moved house and I had to move 100s of heavy boxes all that exersion. The first thing I ate afterwards was a brand of cereal and lashings of milk I think that were the trigger.

eers03 Explorer

Been there.  It was very temporary though and haven't had them since going gluten-free.

MChase Apprentice

I've had night sweats since I can remember (earliest age I remember is being around 6 or 7). They were so bad, I ended up keeping my bedroom really cold so that it wouldn't be so bad.  I have had boyfriends in the past tell me that in the middle of the night, my skin feels like it is on fire.  I have been to several Drs about it... hormones are okay, allergist said it isn't from allergies.  I've been gluten free for approximately 10 weeks and they are gone.   I also suffered from waking up with a swollen tongue.  That is gone too.

• 1 year later...
Hank444 Newbie

Been having night sweats off and on for a few years.I have had pain in lower intestines and a lot of gas and bloating and figured I should try and see if I had sensitivity to gluten and change my diet to be gluten free for awhile. I also had dull pain where my gallbladder is located for a few months now and seems to be getting less painful.I had a Hida scan done and they said it was 28% . I have been away from gluten over a month and had no pains in lower intestines and gas and bloating pretty much gone away. Doc says he wants to take my gallbladder out and I'm not sure if I should.The dull pain where my gallbladder is has almost all gone away and I've been eating more vegetables along with gluten free diet. I tried one sandwhich with wheatbread lastnight to test myself to see if I would have a reaction and I had really bad nightsweats lastnight totally soaked.My lower intestines feels like aching some and stomach feels like liquid sloshing around in it all day even when eating a lot to fill it.

I'd say I'm sensitive to the wheat bread but no runs or any other problems.

Then i read an article about many people thinking gluten is the problem but that many wheat farmers use Roundup weed killer on their wheat just before they harvest it to gain more wheat and could be a reason why some people can eat organic ,non sprayed wheat but still have reactions to chemically sprayed wheat .

Full blown Celiac disease people might be allergic totally but people sensitive to wheat might be the pesticides being used for higher production every year?

My appointment to have gallbladder out is in 4 days and not sure if I should have it out.I have what they said are 2 small polyps in gallbladder and no gallstones.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Welcome Hank! This thread is pretty old, so I doubt anyone will respond, but I will.

I had my Gallbladder out 7 years before I was diagnosed with celiac disease. It was non-functioning and my HIDA showed 0% functionality -- no stones. In fact it was rottening and infected. So, it had to come out. I wonder if a little healing has improved the functionality of your gallbladder? I think they normally do not remove it until it hits 20% (my cousin had to wait until she hit that magic number), but you have polyps and that might be the reason (plus your previous symptoms).

I might be worth getting tested for celiac disease but you have to be consuming gluten for 8 to 12 weeks prior to the blood draw. If you choose to continue with the gluten-free diet, then I invit you to read the Newbie 101 thread under our "Coping" section. There is more to being gluten-free that giving up wheat!

I have read about Roundup. I am an organic gardener. Fighting bugs naturally is hard, but I really do not like pesticides or herbicides. It is a pretty interesting theory!

Maddi Community Regular

Hi Hank. I'm not officially diagnosed but I too decided to go gluten free because I have too many symptoms. I had a gallbladder attack 1 year ago too (strange bc I'm thin and young) and now started having bladder problems amongst other problems (gastrointestinal) and I developed night sweats which I've now connected to when I eat gluten. I'm 26 by the way so there shouldn't be a reason for night sweats! Well now I don't get night sweats unless I eat gluten. You should probably get tested for Celiac like cycling lady said first. Also, in regards to your gallbladder problems have you tried a low fat diet? That might help you!

Archived