This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sweet Potatoes

cO-ol

cO-ol Explorer

I have a sweet potato lying around. I fried cut up sweet potato pieces in olive oil (with some seasonings); I hated it. I had some kind of mashed sweet potato dish one Thanksgiving. Hated that too. However, knowing how veggies are, it may be that I can do something such that the sweet potato doesn't have its "default" flavor (like tomatoes in salsa, say), if that makes sense. But what that would entail, I'm not sure. Anyone have ideas? It's not like I'm super invested in trying to like sweet potatoes; I just want to give things a proper chance.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I have a sweet potato lying around. I fried cut up sweet potato pieces in olive oil (with some seasonings); I hated it. I had some kind of mashed sweet potato dish one Thanksgiving. Hated that too. However, knowing how veggies are, it may be that I can do something such that the sweet potato doesn't have its "default" flavor (like tomatoes in salsa, say), if that makes sense. But what that would entail, I'm not sure. Anyone have ideas?

I do the fried sweet potato and a little salt and a lot of cinnamon. I am not a huge plain sweet potato fan but imlike them this way.

BethJ Rookie

You can cut them into thin sticks like french fries, toss with oil to coat and sprinkle with salt, cinnamon and chipotle pepper. Then roast them in the oven on a baking sheet at a high temperature, turning once or twice so they're nice and brown. You can play around with the seasonings. Sometimes I do mine with just salt and then drizzle balsamic vinegar over them when they're done.

shopgirl Contributor

Maybe turn it into a soup? That's my mom's favorite way to eat sweet potatoes.

cassP Contributor

wow.. i dont know what to tell u- cause i LOVE sweet potatoes... and you frying them up in olive oil and spices was making me drool... i prefer my sweet potatoes salty & savory.. as opposed to the sugar and cinnamon...

im actually going to make russian potato salad in next day or two- using sweet potatoes INSTEAD of regular (as i avoid reg. potatoes)... the ingredients are (cold cooked sweet potatoes, cucumber, hard boiled eggs, green onions, mayo). YUM :P

i also love sauteeing them with onions, and melting mozzarella cheese on them, or mashing them with lots of salty butter, cream & mozzarella cheese.

my friends & i make a shephards pie- using mashed sweet potatoes instead of regular... and we top it with mozzarella cheese YUM

cO-ol Explorer

wow.. i dont know what to tell u- cause i LOVE sweet potatoes... and you frying them up in olive oil and spices was making me drool... i prefer my sweet potatoes salty & savory.. as opposed to the sugar and cinnamon...

I know what to make you if you ever come over! :P It was something that hinted at being good and then quickly became ewww-tastic to me, which is why I'm so quick to believe it's something I'd like prepared another way. Definitely trying the cinnamon. Maybe embracing the "sweet" is what'll make the difference.

Archived