25 replies to this topic

#1 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 08:14 AM

Hey all, so I've been trying to keep up with the SCD posts and finally bought the book-''breaking the vicious cycle" for myself to read as an option... But I was surprised as I read her controversial thoughts on Celiac and how she disagreed with the current theory for the cause of Celiac and treatment. Those of you who are familiar with what I'm talking about--What do you think of that? And if you use the book, do you stick to the diet and just omit her theory of Celiac? Just curious :)
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2005 - 09:50 AM

I'm one of those that thinks that particular theory of celiac and the SCD approach is misleading and DANGEROUS. When I read thru that book I was horrified at what was being said about Celiac and that it can be cured by the SCD and that one with Celiac COULD consume gluten after successfully completing the necessary steps of the diet. My thought was WTH is this person thinking? This is inaccurate, and dangerous misinformation to be putting out there. There are a lot of ill people really getting into this diet and believing this and IMHO it's downright scary. it goes to show you that anyone can put out a book with any theory and get published. Doesn't mean it's right. Doesn't mean it's medically accurate either.

#3 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 12:17 PM

When I read thru that book I was horrified at what was being said about Celiac and that it can be cured by the SCD and that one with Celiac COULD consume gluten after successfully completing the necessary steps of the diet.

That really bothered me too. I've read most of the book since it was recommended by a family member. She leads people to believe that the gluten-free diet cures celiac disease. Last I checked there is no cure for celiac disease and if she knows the cure then why isn't it more publized? Personally, I think she is using the word "cure" in the wrong way. I think, or I hope, she means that the SCD make celiacs feel 100% better, which is great. But using the word "cure" like that will mislead a lot of people and potentially lead people to believe that they can eat gluten again. I have nothing aganist the SCD diet and I know that it helps a lot of people, but I just don't like that the author claims that it cures celiac disease.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#4 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2005 - 12:46 PM

IMHO SCD is just another fad diet like Atkins and such. The fact that the author claims it "CURES" all these illnesses really gets my goat.

#5 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 04:47 AM

Yeah, I'm always like 'well, if your theory is so right and the current theory is wrong, then why isn't everyone talking about yours? There seems to be something to the diet that does help heal some individuals, but yes, not 'cure.' Hmmm... Thanks for the thoughts!
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#6 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2005 - 04:58 AM

I read the book and am following the diet. BUT, I do not agree with everything she wrote (obviously), but I do believe that the diet does help. I have had a lot of change and benefits since going on the SCD. But, if you buy into her theories, it could lead to major problems. When I read a book, like this one, I take out the good and throw away the bad. The diet can help if you take it for what it is... a way to clean out and heal ~ not cure.

#7 shimma

shimma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 05:25 AM

I believe the book is meant primarily for those whose symptoms don't respond to a gluten-free diet (and for those with other problems, like IBD). I disagree that it's a fad diet - it's actually one of the original diets to treat celiac disease. The discovery of gluten as the culprit in celiac disease came later through additional research. I think Elaine's use of the word "cure" is referring to an alleviation of symptoms. If you look at the context of that chapter, Elaine is referring to different experimental diets and their effect on reducing diarrhea and other symptoms. The last paragraph refers to the SCD giving celiac sufferers the opportunity to become healthy. I don't see where it says you can go back to eating whatever you want.

I also think that much more research needs to be done on celiac disease and other intestinal disorders to gain a better understanding of what we should and shouldn't be eating for optimal health. How many people on this board are still struggling with health issues? I wouldn't have sought an alternative diet if I wasn't miserable on a gluten-free diet.

Elaine also mentions that flattened villi are reported in cases of other intestinal conditions such as ulcerative colitis, parasitic infections - celiac disease is not the only cause of a damaged gut. The question that I had when I read the book is "Could my celiac disease be a misdiagnosis of some other condition?" Since my bloodwork has always been borderline normal (it didn't change after going gluten-free), I'm continuing to pursue an answer to why my body seems to reject food.

For those of you who feel great on a gluten-free diet - great! For those of you who don't, I would urge you to continue to be inquisitive about your health.

#8 rma451

rma451

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:31 PM

[quote name='shimma' date='Jul 11 2005, 05:25 AM' post='51574']
I believe the book is meant primarily for those whose symptoms don't respond to a gluten-free

Hello all,
I have read the book , and being a new celiac of only several months have not finished healing. even though I call all manufactures on products I use in my home , I was still having problems feeling well after the first few months of going gluten-free.
I have read several books, I then make up my mind on what seems likely to help me , my health is in my hands, even my doctor ,sorry to say ,has only limited knowledge of this disease.
what I got from the book was I need to heal and complex carbs and added sugars in many of the gluten-free baked goods arent helping me at this time. and after years of not knowing what was wrong , I have leaky gut and many allergies.
this is an easier way for me to weed out what they are , I will reintroduce the grains back at a later date one at a time and watch and keep a food log.
In no way did I take this book's diet to mean I would be cured of celiac disease, only that giving my body less to break down would help my healing . and with time I may again enjoy some of the higher carbs and sweets I once did only now gluten-free.
rosie NY state

#9 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 01:21 PM

I think her diet is terrific but her conclusions aren't.

When I went off gluten and dairy I actually got worse. But following her diet I think I'm finally getting better. I don't believe her diet cures food intolerances, but it sure is good for recovering from GI woes.

One thing I noticed is she says you can never go back to eating grains and refined starches again like you did before. Perhaps what happens is the intestines are better able to handle the stress of the food intolerance but if you kept it up, you'd just end up very sick again.

#10 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:20 PM

I'm glad, Nancy, that you are doing well on the diet. I find that I feel SO much better when I follow the SCD. I allow myself to go off (over Christmas) for a treat, but then go back on. How can I argue against it when I feel so well when I follow it?? Good luck following the SCD and feeling better! :)
P.S. And all my #'s are better after going on it as well ~ my Dr. was very happy. :)

#11 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 02:55 PM

Well...I checked out the legal/illegal list and even though this diet might help me....what the heck would I eat? :blink:

Seriously? What do you guys eat? My only concern is if I give up rice, beans and potatoes (basically my only carbs) how will I maintain my weight. I dont want to drop under 100 again but I'm barely over right now. Wont I lose weight on this diet?
Rachel

#12 teebs in WV

teebs in WV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:22 PM

OK - I feel really stupid right now, but would someone spell out what the acronyms stand for that you guys are talking about?

Thanks,
Tracy

- Dx by Derm with DH in Oct 2005 - both by bloodwork and skin biopsy.
- Dx with celiac disease in Nov 2005 by biopsy of small intestine.
- gluten-free since Oct 2005

#13 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 05:19 PM

SCD = Specific Carbohydrate Diet

#14 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 06:44 AM

Seriously? What do you guys eat? My only concern is if I give up rice, beans and potatoes (basically my only carbs) how will I maintain my weight. I dont want to drop under 100 again but I'm barely over right now. Wont I lose weight on this diet?

I would find giving up rice and potatoes very hard. I do eat a lot of vegetables, fruits, and meats, but I just don't think I could ever give up rice. Rice helps to fill me up when I am super hungrey. What do people on the SCD diet eat to fill themselves up if they can't have rice or potatoes?
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#15 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:59 AM

Her book has a lot of recipes and menu ideas.

I haven't really started the diet like I should but I got the diarrhea under control anyway although I'm constipated again, but I think that's the dairy products. I'm not going to eat the yogurt or farmer's cheese, it just makes me feel lousy. I have figured out how to make yogurt from coconut milk though!

I does include some beans later on (lentils). No grains at all though.

This week I plan to eat pork roast, veggies with olive oil, probably make a chicken butternut squash soup, home made chicken sausages and salad.

I think eating nuts was giving me the D, I'm not ready for that yet. But I seem to tolerate nut-butters ok (cashew macadamia -- oh boy!) and they're packed with calories.

The one thing people complain about is the amount of time you have to spend preparing meals. But I do my cooking on the weekend and freeze stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: