#17 Nancym

Nancym

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:05 PM

How do you make those sausages?

I haven't actually done it yet. But my plan is to defrost some skinless, boneless chicken breasts and grind them up (Kitchenaid attachment). I'll add some spices, still pondering which to use. Then I also bought some hog casings and I'll put the sausage stuffer on my kitchenaid and fill 'em up. Then I'll probably twist them off every 3-4" or so, cut them apart and freeze 'em.

I like to grab sausage for breakfast. They're thickish, more like fat hot dogs. I used to buy turkey sausage from Trader Joe's. But my favorite ones (cranberry and turkey) have sugar, and I can't have that. But hey! Now that I think of it, I do have cranberries frozen in the freezer. Hmmm!

So anyway, that's my plan. We'll see how it goes. I'll probably make quite a mess.

If they come out good I'll make a lot of them!

#18 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:17 PM

can you get pork casing at a grocery? never noticed it before...
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#19 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:53 PM

No, I did ask at Whole Foods market but they don't sell them. So I did a google search and found lots of places online where you can buy them. Americanspice.com was one such company.

#20 Smunkeemom

Smunkeemom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:52 PM

I have the book, but not for my girl's celiac disease, someone told me it would help with my husband's crohns disease. The things she said though about being able to "cure" celiac disease made me almost discount everything else she said. My husband has been going back and forth on whether or not he will try the diet, I think the book scared him really. I mean all those foods can't be sooo bad for everyone like she says or we would all be dead. I can understand how gluten is bad for my girl's because they have a disease, but to say things like "potatoes will kill you" which is the feeling I got from the book just seems like she is trying to scare people into following her diet.
Gluten free since 5/06
mommy to Annika(3) gluten free since 5/04 and Kathryn (5) gluten free since 10/05

#21 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:00 PM

Yeah, I realize it sounds very sensationalistic. But the stories I've heard were that people who really follow the diet closely do have remission of their symptoms. A friend of a friend had Crohn's and got it under control on the diet. But I think it takes fanatical adherance and not everyone is up for that. I'm not sure I am.

The premise seems simple, from my initial scan of the diet. The goal is to only eat mono-sacchrides which are digested by the human body and not feed the bacteria in the gut with anything we can't digest, thereby starving out the bad guys which are wrecking havoc.

#22 jenvan

jenvan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 06:28 AM

I understand how the book can be hard to swallow. But I think the proof is in the pudding--and so many people have had wonderful success with it. I don't think she is saying that potatoes will kill you, but that in some individuals they contribute to chronic illnesses which are serious enough to lead to a premature death or miserable living. I usually read, assess and make my own determination on information. In this case I think the diet does faciliate healing and remission in many people, but I don't believe one can be 'healed' of Celiac from it.

smunkeemom--How serious is your husband's crohns?
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

#23 Smunkeemom

Smunkeemom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 06:48 AM

smunkeemom--How serious is your husband's crohns?

it's pretty bad, they have been talking lately about removing his large intestine, he found a new doctor that is trying some new meds, and they think they are working, so I really hope that they do. He is pretty young to have to go into a surgery like that. :(
Gluten free since 5/06
mommy to Annika(3) gluten free since 5/04 and Kathryn (5) gluten free since 10/05

#24 jenvan

jenvan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:27 AM

Wow--so sorry to hear that. Fear or not I would definitely definitely try the diet! Have you gone on amazon and read the reviews? If not, show them to your husband. There are so many who were in similar positions and now have no meds to take and are in remission!! I'm sure he wants to do everything in his power to prevent surgery. Please do look at! There's nothing to lose and no harm in trying if it doesn't end up helping. There are several here on the diet too you can ask for help...
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

#25 Smunkeemom

Smunkeemom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:57 AM

Wow--so sorry to hear that. Fear or not I would definitely definitely try the diet! Have you gone on amazon and read the reviews? If not, show them to your husband. There are so many who were in similar positions and now have no meds to take and are in remission!! I'm sure he wants to do everything in his power to prevent surgery. Please do look at! There's nothing to lose and no harm in trying if it doesn't end up helping. There are several here on the diet too you can ask for help...

he really wants to try the diet, but he is scared that he won't find anything to eat, I tried to tell him that we thought that when we had to put the girls gluten free, but they eat lots of good stuff.

He had a dr. appt this week and they say he has gained 10lbs which means he is healing enough to get food asborbed which is great, I think I may try to find some great stuff to eat on the diet and then just put us all on it for a while, it won't hurt the girls, and I might lose some weight, and if it makes him feel better than it's worth the sacrifice right?
Gluten free since 5/06

#26 jenvan

jenvan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:23 AM

Its absolutely worth the sacrifice! And you can do it. Like I said, post to the SCD thread and ask for help. My advice, stick with meats, the legal fresh veggies and fruits (you can eat raw, cook, sauteed just like normal), you can use pure spices, legal beans...and then to make things easier, bake the SCD muffins and cookies etc in bulk then freeze so you're not baking every other day. The yogurt you can make and you can buy a yogurt maker if you like. It is a good staple in the diet and some of the recipes. However, you don't have to do the yogurt. Don't forget about meds if you can. Freeda vitamins (I take them) have SCD legal supplements. I know that's not much of help :) but its hopefully an encouraging word to start! How amazing would it be if his symptoms improved or completely healed? Crohn's can be horrible I know and often times it just continues to progress...this could be a huge benefit. Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith :)

Here are some of the good SCD sites for help:
http://www.scdrecipe.com/links.html
http://www.pecanbread.com/
http://www.scdiet.or...pes/indexa.html
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: