21 replies to this topic

#1 Emma-Lee

Emma-Lee

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:38 AM

Hello. I was only recently diagnosed with Celiac. As I have been reading many articles here and online I am curious about the relationship between Celiac and grey hair. I have not been tested for vitamin deficiency levels yet, as I was literally just diagnosed. I am meeting with my doctor again in 2 weeks so we can see how I am doing with my new gluten-free diet.

I have had pre-mature grey hair since I was 12, I am 28 now. I have never been tested for vit B-12, and this may very well be hereditary as my father started to grey at around 25. I have read some articles about a link between grey hair and B12. Similarly I have read some on Ceilac and B12 issues. This may not be a mathematical equation "if a=b, and b=c then a=c," but I am curious if anyone can give me feedback about links btwn grey hair and Celiac.

I may be throwing in something off the wall, but am curious as well. I probably will request a B12 test in 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mommida

mommida

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:08 AM

There is a link between Celiac and Pernicious anemia (a lack of the intinsic factor in the gut lining to properly absorb vitamin B12).
Michigan

#3 Emma-Lee

Emma-Lee

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:18 AM

There is a link between Celiac and Pernicious anemia (a lack of the intinsic factor in the gut lining to properly absorb vitamin B12).

Do I ask my doctor for B12 test or a pernicious anemia test? I am very new to this and have not had 1 test beyond Celiac yet. I am making a list for my doctor. Thanks for the info!

#4 Fire Fairy

Fire Fairy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:43 AM

I started noticing gray hair at 17. Now at 36 I have a lot silver threads, people think I get my highlights done. :D I used to be upset about it and started dying it at 17 but since I don't know of any gluten free hair dye and I can't afford to have it done in a salon, I'm calling my hair color "recession gray".

Good for you making a list for the Dr. Very good idea.
If you over-salt a dish while you are cooking, that's too bad. Please recite with me the real woman's motto: 'I made it, you will eat it and I don't care how bad it tastes!'-unknown

#5 shopgirl

shopgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:24 AM

I've had little streaks of white hair since I was a teenager too — I'm 27 now. I actually love it and can't wait to have more. I think gray and white hair is gorgeous. But I don't think it has anything to do with Celiac.

But definitely ask your doctor for a complete vitamin panel including the usual suspects like iron, B, and D.

Edited to add: All of my vitamin levels checked out after my diagnosis. My B12 numbers were well within normal range and I still have the silvers. :)

Edited by shopgirl, 21 February 2011 - 09:50 AM.

"My experience has been that there is, surprisingly, always hope." - Eleven

Positive blood test & endoscopy / Gluten-free 10-07-10 / Dairy-free / Soy-free

#6 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:47 AM

i think grey hair is part genetics, part disease link, and possibly diet related too.

i hate to sound like a broken record- but you should get fairly routine Thyroid panels done-> as Thyroid disorders can be common with Gluten Intolerance AND-> can cause premature greying.

ive never heard of B12 def. contributing to grey hair- but i dont know everything.

imho: as a Celiac or Gluten Intolerant: your basic tests you need to be getting are: B12, vit. D, Iron, & Thyroid. these issues seem to be the most common with gluten intolerance. definitely get these done.

im not sure if there's a pernicious anemia test-> or if the doc can just tell by the B12 levels???
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#7 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:39 AM

See my next post....

#8 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:51 AM

From my past research, I learned that graying of the hair is caused by the depletion of catalase. Unfortunately, simply taking catalase supplements may not do the trick (don't be fooled by the many products on the market that state that taking their catalase supplement will stop the graying process). Depletion of catalase occurs naturally throughout our lifetimes. However, its levels are maintained by specific minerals, and it has been conjectured that if the levels of those minerals are maintained, catalase will also remain high. Those minerals are zinc, manganese, copper and selenium. I can attest to the fact that when I was accidentally glutened last April, one of the symptoms that appeared soon after was hairloss and the sudden growth of many gray hairs. I also appeared to have other symptoms of being deficient in zinc, manganese, and selenium. I supplemented with chelated amino acids forms of zinc and manganese (and I took copper, too, since it's needed if you take zinc supplements), and all of my symptoms improved except the graying. I tried taking selenium from various manufacturers, but couldn't tolerate it at all. I suspect that I'm very low in selenium....but what can I do?

Anyway, perhaps you're able to tolerate all of these minerals--good luck to you! And if fewer gray hairs appear, please share that fact with us here on the Forum.

#9 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:20 PM

From my past research, I learned that graying of the hair is caused by the depletion of catalase. Unfortunately, simply taking catalase supplements may not do the trick (don't be fooled by the many products on the market that state that taking their catalase supplement will stop the graying process). Depletion of catalase occurs naturally throughout our lifetimes. However, its levels are maintained by specific minerals, and it has been conjectured that if the levels of those minerals are maintained, catalase will also remain high. Those minerals are zinc, manganese, copper and selenium. I can attest to the fact that when I was accidentally glutened last April, one of the symptoms that appeared soon after was hairloss and the sudden growth of many gray hairs. I also appeared to have other symptoms of being deficient in zinc, manganese, and selenium. I supplemented with chelated amino acids forms of zinc and manganese (and I took copper, too, since it's needed if you take zinc supplements), and all of my symptoms improved except the graying. I tried taking selenium from various manufacturers, but couldn't tolerate it at all. I suspect that I'm very low in selenium....but what can I do?

Anyway, perhaps you're able to tolerate all of these minerals--good luck to you! And if fewer gray hairs appear, please share that fact with us here on the Forum.

interesting about the Selenium... as Selenium deficiency often occurs in those with thyroid disorders. i did a ton of research after my Hashi & Grave's dx... and Selenium is the number 1 thing to take to help. instead of taking the supplement- i opted for eating 3 Brazil nuts a day. or 2. its been stressed that you can overdose on selenium very easily and that it can be very dangerous- that is why i only eat 3 maximum a day.
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:38 PM

Hello. I was only recently diagnosed with Celiac. As I have been reading many articles here and online I am curious about the relationship between Celiac and grey hair. I have not been tested for vitamin deficiency levels yet, as I was literally just diagnosed. I am meeting with my doctor again in 2 weeks so we can see how I am doing with my new gluten-free diet.

I have had pre-mature grey hair since I was 12, I am 28 now. I have never been tested for vit B-12, and this may very well be hereditary as my father started to grey at around 25. I have read some articles about a link between grey hair and B12. Similarly I have read some on Ceilac and B12 issues. This may not be a mathematical equation "if a=b, and b=c then a=c," but I am curious if anyone can give me feedback about links btwn grey hair and Celiac.

I may be throwing in something off the wall, but am curious as well. I probably will request a B12 test in 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance.

My B-12 was tanked and I was going grey by 28. I did not think anything about either of these factors until I got very ill in 2008 (when I was 51) and went downhill for 3 years until I read about the many symptoms of celiac. Now, I can tie a whole slew of health issues/symptoms to celiac disease.

My Dad suffered from anemia his whole life and now, we can tie his other health problems to this disease as well.

You definitely want to have your B-12 level checked and your thyroid levels. But I think we drove that one home to you on your another post about having babies!! :)

Taking a list of questions to your doctor is a great idea!! Being pro-active is the thing that saved me from further decline (meaning I was persistent and wouldn't take being dismissed ) :D and it will serve you well too! Good luck.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#11 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:05 PM

Good information on the selenium--thanks! I have Hashimoto's, which I've treated with Armour Thyroid for the past three years. I'll try eating the brazil nuts--as I recall, they're not too hard (have extremely brittle teeth).

#12 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:12 PM

Good information on the selenium--thanks! I have Hashimoto's, which I've treated with Armour Thyroid for the past three years. I'll try eating the brazil nuts--as I recall, they're not too hard (have extremely brittle teeth).

i only eat up to 3 a day... it's supposed to help lower Hashi & Grave's antibodies. it's also supposed to help you convert your T4 to T3 easier. so far, they have not bothered my teeth.. they're kind of fatty.. i still indulge on Almond M&Ms.. and those almost crack my teeth :huh:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH

#13 Emma-Lee

Emma-Lee

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:50 PM

Wow! This information is amazing and has truly sparked an investigation! I will be talking to my doctor about all these issues and requesting labs. I will keep everyone updated. Thanks, thanks, thanks =)

#14 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:10 AM

vitamin and mineral deficiency is commonly overlooked by the medical community. If it weren't for your post I wouldn't have searched for any links to B12 defiency with premature greying.
The link for pernicious anemia seems to be from damaged gut lining for Celiacs. I don't know if many doctors feel comfortable ordering the proper testing to diagnose it. Ordering the test for your B12 levels should be simple enough. A B12 causes nuerological problems if left untreated and it seems more of the general population are shown to be lacking.
Michigan

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:25 AM

I soak almonds for an hour before eating them...less rough on the teeth!! just a thought?!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: