3 replies to this topic

#1 Canuck86

Canuck86

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:18 PM

I'm new here and looking for advice on whether or not my symptoms sound like Celiac or a gluten intolerance.
To start with I've had stomach issues my entire life. I've always had cramps, bloating, gas and gas cramps that were intermittent. I never went to the doctors to find the cause of it so I just lived with it. I've always had anxiety and would get terrible stomach aches when ever I was nervous. I've always been skinny and no matter how much I eat I've never been able to gain weight.

Starting in June things seemed to get worse. Five times since June I'll be eating and I'll have to run to the bathroom because I'll get cramps and diarrhea. The last time it happened I was eating Spaghetti. Since June I've had these symptoms which haven't gone away;

- Gas (almost every night, which doesn't always get released)
- Bloating (don't know if it's really considered bloating but gas just seems to move around in my stomach/intestines and doesn't get released)
- Gurgling Stomach/Intestines
- Pain on left side
- Ribbon stools (intermittent)
- Twitching on left side (ribbon stools follow when this happens)
- Diarrhea (intermittent)
- Hair Loss
- Weight Loss (I'm down from 135 lbs to about 118 lbs since June for no reason)

My doctor wanted to test me for Celiac but I told him I had done a gluten free diet for 2 months and it didn't help. At the time I was still eating gluten but wasn't aware of it (theres gluten in more things then I realized). I stopped eating gluten 2 days ago the gas hasn't been as bad. I have a doctors appointment on March 2 so I was wondering if I should ask to be tested? and if I do, will I still have to eat gluten until I'm tested?

One last question, if I get tested and my tests come back positive and I go on a gluten free diet, how long until the gas, gurgling, diarrhea and ribbon stools go away?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Meatballman

Meatballman

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:43 PM

I think you should get tested.I had many of the symptoms you have and was diagnosed Celiac.As far as the gas,bloating,and gurgling go I am six months gluten free it is better but not completely gone.Everyone heals at different rates I am still waiting.Follow your DR. advice and get tested.Good luck.
Positive bloodwork
Positive biopsy
Gluten Free 10/2010
At the end of the game the Pawn and the King are placed in the same box.

#3 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:01 PM

If you want accurate testing, you'll need to continue eating gluten until you get the tests done.
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2009 Low T3 thyroid hormone, muscle twitching and adrenal fatigue
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
2005 - Thought I had wheat "allergy." Stopped eating bread, oats problem too
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom
Teenage years - Stomach pain prompted veganism -> BIG mistake!
Child - Awful gas, D, C. Chronic infections, appendix and tonsils removed

#4 Canuck86

Canuck86

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:51 PM

Thanks for the help, I'm definitely going to ask to be tested. So is hair loss, ribbon stools, occasional abdominal twitching and left sided abdominal pain associated with celiac? I was reading a few sites and didn't see those symptoms listed. The main symptoms listed weren't very helpful, they really only listed gas, bloating and diarrhea as common GI symptoms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: