This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Taco Seasoning?

Teri Lou

Teri Lou Apprentice

Had a taco salad last night and feel a bit ucky.....is taco seasoning not gluten free? I know everything else was (cheese, ground venison, lettuce, tomatoes)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

What do the ingredients say?

K8ling Enthusiast

I make my own- mexican chili powder, salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and a dash of cayenne. Delicious, blows the packages out of the water.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I use El Paso Mild and Ortega, the ingrediants do not have any gluten ingrediants and I've never had a problem with them. There are some, however, that have wheat in there...I think ChiChi's is one...you just need to read and be very careful!

sa1937 Community Regular

I make my own- mexican chili powder, salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and a dash of cayenne. Delicious, blows the packages out of the water.

Do you have a recipe? I'm sure it would be easy to make and much less expensive than buying it.

Darn210 Enthusiast

I use El Paso Mild and Ortega, the ingrediants do not have any gluten ingrediants and I've never had a problem with them. There are some, however, that have wheat in there...I think ChiChi's is one...you just need to read and be very careful!

We use Old El Paso and Ortega also with no problems. Last time I looked, the Taco Bell packaged seasoning also contained wheat.

zimmer Rookie

Had a taco salad last night and feel a bit ucky.....is taco seasoning not gluten free? I know everything else was (cheese, ground venison, lettuce, tomatoes)

I make my own, too, and then thicken the meat with a little corn masa / water. I use chili powder, lots of cumin, cayenne to taste, garlic powder, onion powder... yum! And much cheaper than the pre-mixed.

Also, my husband has us hooked on homemade shells - take corn tortillas and fry one at a time in a little oil. Use tongs and a fork to shape into a shell while you are frying them, turn upside down and drain on paper towels. Keep warm in the oven. Soooo good, but takes a little practice!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

K8ling Enthusiast

I don't really measure LOL I just kind of do it to taste.... the one that we started using was this:

Open Original Shared Link

Then I went rogue and started tweaking. I'm kind of bad about that.

sa1937 Community Regular

I don't really measure LOL I just kind of do it to taste.... the one that we started using was this:

Open Original Shared Link

Then I went rogue and started tweaking. I'm kind of bad about that.

Thanks! You sound like the kind of cook I am...always winging it and then tweaking! Food.com is one of my favorite websites for recipes.

Jacky Rookie

I make my own, too, and then thicken the meat with a little corn masa / water. I use chili powder, lots of cumin, cayenne to taste, garlic powder, onion powder... yum! And much cheaper than the pre-mixed.

Also, my husband has us hooked on homemade shells - take corn tortillas and fry one at a time in a little oil. Use tongs and a fork to shape into a shell while you are frying them, turn upside down and drain on paper towels. Keep warm in the oven. Soooo good, but takes a little practice!

What kind of corn tortillas do you buy? How do you know they don't have cross contamination?

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

What kind of corn tortillas do you buy? How do you know they don't have cross contamination?

I'm not the one who posted about corn tortillas, but Mission brand corn tortillas are safe. They are made on lines that only make corn products. Their flour tortillas are made on completely different equipment. I'm very sensitive to cc and have never had a problem with Mission corn tortillas.

zimmer Rookie

Well, I looked up the brand (Ole / La Banderita) and found it included on a safe list. I have not contacted the company. I honestly don't know about the cross-contamination. I think it's likely since they also make flour tortillas. I'm new at all this (recent positive blood test) and am working my way through our eating habits and brands to find out what's in / what's out. Physically I am not sensitive enough (yet) for CC to bother me, so I can't tell. but, I just looked at the ingredients, and I think it has a few too many unpronouncables... guess I'll find a better brand!

sa1937 Community Regular

I also like Mission brand corn tortillas. As far as tortilla chips are concerned, I've bought Tostitos and just recently picked up Santitas at Wal-Mart for $2.00 for a 12 oz. bag. I don't recall seeing them there before (at least in our local Wal-Marts). The Santitas have no preservatives so you can pronouce all the ingredients (I don't have a bag of Tostitos on hand to look at the ingredient list). Santitas are made by Frito-Lay and I know some people avoid Frito-Lay products for one reason or another.

I don't know how sensitive I am either and have never called a company inquiring about their products but I do read labels to determine whether I feel comfortable buying the product or not.

aeraen Apprentice

Our family has always enjoyed our tacos on soft (flour) shells. When I went gluten free, I began frying up a couple of corn tortillas flat, and making tostadas instead... same fillings, just a different conveyance to the mouth ;) . Teenage son decided to try one and liked it better, so we simply stopped buying flour tortillas and make tostadas instead of soft-shell tacos. One more step towards gluten free dominatino in my household. :D

Side benefit, the freshly fried corn tortillas are a far tastier snack than store bought chips, so we fry some extras up in the hot oil after dinner. They don't last as long, of course, but are delicious for a snack the next day.

Oh, and back to the original post... we make our own taco seasoning, too. I love the idea of using ground masa to give it a little body. I will try that next time I mix some up.

jenngolightly Contributor

I can't eat starches (found in the garlic and onion powder) so I thicken my 1 lb. meat by browning it with a food-processed small sweet onion. Just throw that onion in the food processor and grind it up until it's in really small pieces. Brown the hamburger with the onion and it smells delicious! Then (to taste) add real garlic - 2 cloves, 1 T chili powder, 1.5 t cumin, 1 pinch cayenne, 1/2 t salt, 1/2 t fresh pepper, and 1/2 cup of water. SOOO much better than the mix!

Archived