Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Naturally Thin - Did You Gain Weight?

5 posts in this topic

It seems like everyone is maybe different but figured this was worth asking. I've always been naturally thin and eat whatever I want, whenever I want (About 5'6" 115 lbs.). I've been this weight forever and was only tested and diagnosed for celiacs because my 1st cousin was diagnosed and I've always had stomach problems so I went to get tested (in other words, I didn't have the typical massive weight loss that a lot of people do). From my biopsy resultss the doctor said I've obviously gone undiagnosed for a very long time (my villi are completely flat). My question and concern is, am I going to gain weight now since iit seems like maybe my body hasn't been absorbing food for some time? I really don't want to and especially I'm getting married in October.

Ads by Google:

My guess is that you will gain weight, but maybe only 5-10 lbs. You may have to change your eating habits to include lower fat foods, if you've been used to eating anything you want. The gluten-free diet can be slimming though; my husband lost 10 lbs, just by eating gluten-free at home when my daughter was dx. My father, who has celiac, lost about 8 lbs when he went gluten-free. He was already underweight to begin with and had always been "naturally thin". If the rest of your family is thin, you may just have great metabolism, and your weight won't change much.

I have also been naturally thin as well and could also eat whatever I wanted without gaining. I'm almost 5'7 and I was about 130 pounds in high school. However, I slowly started losing weight and eventually in university, I got very concerned when I was 112 pounds, which is underweight. Eventually, I got a diagnosis of celiac disease due to a ton of celiac symtoms and my low weight. It has now been over a year since my diagnosis and I have gained about 10 pounds (122 pounds now) since then which is great because now I am in the normal weight range for my height. You probably have such a low weight because of having celiac, which would mean that you may gain 5-10 pounds once you get better. Or you could just have a high metabolism. I don't think gaining a few pounds would be a bad thing at your weight and height.

I have always been naturally thin and I also have a fast metabolism. I was a healthy weight until I lost weight with celiac (about 21 pounds)

Once going gluten free I gained it all back. So my guess is you will at least gain a little bit of weight but I think that will be a good thing...I don't think you will gain too much

Thanks everyone. I can definately deal with 5 - 10 lbs. That's not the end of the world.