#1 K-Dawg

K-Dawg

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:02 PM

http://www.thestar.c...irst-in-ontario

Link to an article on gluten free beer being sold in Ontario Canada.
Many autoimmune disorders: Graves Disease in 1998, Psoriasis on or about 2000, Hashimoto's in 2008.

Severely anemic in 2007 (undetectable iron levels)

Elevated liver enzymes (ALT and AST) as of October 2008.

Negative blood test for celiac disease in February 2009, followed by diagnosis of celiac disease in April 2009 after positive biopsy.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 DougE

DougE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:31 AM

I am surprised to hear that they cannot call this a gluten-free beer "...to comply with Health Canada's labelling rules that say anything called a beer must contain at least some barley or wheat." Messagère and Messagère Red Ale, both made in Quebec are labelled as gluten-free beers. Did Quebec separate from Canada already?

#3 challengeaccepted

challengeaccepted

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:33 PM

I am surprised to hear that they cannot call this a gluten-free beer "...to comply with Health Canada's labelling rules that say anything called a beer must contain at least some barley or wheat." Messagère and Messagère Red Ale, both made in Quebec are labelled as gluten-free beers. Did Quebec separate from Canada already?

'New Grist' was fantastic,I don't remember where its from but I have found it in better LCBO's. I did not like the Messagère brand. It just tasted like soy sauce, that was carbonated. I know, it sounds odd, but I made other people try it, in case my taste buds were off.(The face my husband made was just hilarious but telling) Also it was 4 bucks more for a 6-pack than the New Grist.

On that note, considering all the varying flavours of beer/ale/lagers, not really a surprise that in trying 2 different gluten free 'beers' that I didn't like one of them :-)So try for yourself, you might love either.

I always liked Strongbow, but you have to be into the cider type flavour.

#4 rainer83

rainer83

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:45 AM

I also tried the New Grist, and was very impressed by it. It actually tasted like beer! Even though it can't be called it. Still tasted awesome. I'm sad summer is almost over now that I've found a "beer" I can enjoy at BBQs and outings!
Diagnosed by a Naturopath by an elimination diet, gluten free 2 years, finally able to live again after years of suffering.

#5 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:15 AM

most country's labeling laws don't allow gluten free beers to be labeled as beer because it doesn't contain barley. Not just Canada.

I haven't tried the Gluten Free that's made in Ontario, I haven't seen any anywhere. My local LCBO stocks New Grist, which isn't bad really. I prefer wine or spirits now though.

#6 kmag

kmag

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:22 AM

New Grist is really good, it's the one I always buy. Nicklebrook's Gluten-free tastes a lot like real beer and I'd buy that one more often except that I don't care for the tallboy can and the fact that you have to buy them individually.

#7 Parda

Parda

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:35 PM

Ontario will have another gluten-free beer in early 2012 from Schnitzer Bräu. These award winning German beers are 100% Gluten-Free, organic and made with malted millet since 2006. Hirse-Premium 5% ABV and Hirse-Lemon 2.6%ABV. Germany's best selling gluten-free beers are full flavoured and fresh tasting. They export to 17 countries around the globe. The first order is on it's way to Ontario. Currently in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick

#8 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:11 AM

A friend posted this on my FB page, I think I may have to go to Kensington market to check out this restaurant!

http://www.blogto.co...n-free_brewery/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: