This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Outbacks Gluten Free Menu

Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky Collaborator
Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SueC Explorer

They also have a printed gluten-free menu in the restaurant but you need to ask for it. We had a great dinner there the other night. It was really eating out without worry. The staff all seemed very knowlegable.

Sue

SueC Explorer

oops... really NICE eating out without worry......

Sue

mytummyhurts Contributor

If I remember correctly the printed out menus at the restuarant had some mistakes on it. There are some things not included on it that should be. I believe that somebody here checked with them and they said the restuarant ones were printed out wrong. So you may want to go off the website one as that is easier for them to update.

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I was the one who found the mistakes and was told by corporate that they would be pulling the menu's with mistakes and replacing them with correct ones. HOPEFULLY they follow through on that and get ALL the ones with mistakes thrown away.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Wandering Hermit Contributor

Just ate at Outback Saturday night.

My first restaurant dinner since going gluten-free 3 months ago.

No problems!!

skbird Contributor

Is this the new menu? I heard they were making some changes this summer.

Stephanie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...
LisaK1114 Newbie

I work at outback and they do have a new menu. They have already made a new gluten free menu for the new products and all of the products are gluten free. I love eating there. Try the tilapia that is new. delicious. I am not sure though if the new menu is on the website. Good luck!

~Lisa :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I ate at Outback last year when I was first "trying out" the gluten-free diet. I was at the bar and asked for a gluten-free menu....they kept telling me someone would bring it....never happened. When I finally got a table I asked again...same thing...apparently they couldn't *find* the menu and were trying to get it from another Outback but then the fax machine wasn't working...blah..blah..blah. A long time passed and finally the manager came out and apologized...he tried to help me figure out what to eat. He was very professional and gave me a $45 gift certificate to come back. He also mailed me a menu later on that week :) That was my one and only experience eating out while trying to be gluten-free...even though the manager handled it well it was still kind of embarassing since I was there with somebody and we had to wait so long.

Jen H Contributor

I've been to Outback a few times and ordered the chicken griller. How should I ask the meat to be prepared? No marinade and scrub the grill? No croutons on the salad and prepare it in a separate bowl? Sorry, I'm still really new to this and I'm paranoid about eating out.

<_< Jen

gf4life Enthusiast

The Outback on Harbor Avenue in Aneheim, CA (about 6 blocks down the road from Disneyland) is extremely well educated in gluten free dining. I just figured they must have had a lot of gluten-free people go through there, but when we were talking to the waiter he told us that the manager is Celiac and on the diet. So I figure this manager must have put the staff through some intense training on keeping gluten-free meals gluten-free. Our waiter knew exactly what we needed, no explaining necessary. I certainly had a wonderful time there. Everything was exactly as we asked for it and no one got sick.

We also eat occasionally at our "local" Outback an hour away, but only when we are out that way in the afternoon. Sometimes I wish they were opened for lunch...

God bless,

Mariann

jknnej Collaborator

On the menu it tells you how to order...such as "order without croutons and ask to be prepared in a separate bowl." You don't have to worry about the kitchen staff; they know what to do back there.

Try the chocolate thunder from down under it's AMAZING. Chocolate flourless brownie w/ ice cream and hot fudge plus chocolate shavings OMIGOD it's fabulous. I'm going there tomorrow...I'm addicted.

Love Outback and Carrabba's..they're owned by the same company. Carrabba's is not everywhere yet but it's great Italian. I went there tonight..same as Outback..they have a gluten-free menu and staff are trained. The owner said he would make me my own pasta as well:)

Definitely don't have to worry when I go there:)

connole1056 Rookie

I think there is only one Outback in my state-Rhode Island-and the gluten-free menu is put seperate from the regular menus at the hostess station. We asked for the menu and when we got it, it was a regular menu with gluten-free items noted. We ordered our food gluten-free, but my daughter's burger still came with a bun. I was upset because the waitress should have made sure gluten-free was indicated on the order slip, especially since she was the one who had to look for and bring the gluten-free menu to us. It took a long time for a new burger to cook and by the time it arrivede my daughter was no longer hungry. I expected the chef to speed things up since it was a mistake and he knew the customer was waiting at a table watching another person eat, but apparently it was not that important to him. I had thought that since a restaurant had a gluten-free menu I would not have any problems, but it was the same old thing that happens in restaurants without a gluten-free menu.

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I still think even with a gluten-free menu that in any restaurant you need to reinerate it over and over. I was at Outback a couple of days ago, they do have a special gluten-free menu, it does however look like the regular menu but with gluten-free stamped near the things that are gluten-free.

However when the server comes to the table I ask them if they have had a gluten-free customer before, if the answer is no, I go on to explain how important this is to get right and I ask them to mark my meal as gluten-free on the ticket AND to tell the chef that she has a gluten-free ticket to expidite. I do this every single time because its MY health and I've got to be the one to watch out for it. So far when I go thru this I've had good luck with both Outback and PF Changs.

Susan

jknnej Collaborator

There are 3 Outbacks near my house and they all use the same system for gluten-free food. They highlight it with a special color so the chefs know. I eat there all the tim and every waiter knows exactly what to do and I've never ever had a problem. I love them. The manager also usually comes over to make sure my food was OK. I just ate there tonight-awesome as usual:)

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Well, NOTHING's perfect, but I think Outback has a good handle on the whole gluten free dining out thing. I've had them have to go get the separate menu and I don't think it's a big deal. I don't understand why some people feel they have to have a problem with some aspect of everything. I think it's better to commend Outback's efforts, and encourage other restaurants to do their best to accomodate a gluten free order. We've eaten out there a least a dozen times... no. More than that. My son has never been glutened by Outback. I think that's a major accomplishment on their part.

Turtle Enthusiast

I am out of town and ate at Outback tonight....the staff was VERY nice and accomodating, asking lots of questions to assure they wrote down my order correctly, etc. The waitress said they even had a recent meeting to reiterate the importance of making sure if someone is ordering off the gluten-free menu to double check everything, etc. HOWEVER, I still got glutened from something...does anyone know if the seasoning on the steaks if gluten-free? The manager asked me if I wanted the seasoning on the steak and since i'm still new at all this I did not follow the golden rule of "when in doubt go without" and i'm wondering if that's the glutened culprit. I guess the other problem could have been if it was really cooked on a clean grill? Anyhow, just wanted to share and see if anyone had any input or feedback.

Jen H Contributor

Hey Turtle,

I'm pretty new to the gluten-free scene and I've been to Outback twice since my diagnosis. On both occasions I became sick. I was extremely careful to voice my concerns about making sure my meal was gluten-free. I got the chicken griller and asked them not to put any seasoning on it and to make sure the grill was cleaned. I even had the server mark "food allergy" up at the top. The server told me that the seasoning is gluten-free, but I just didn't want to take any chances. I have a feeling that it was a busy time to be there and that my food suffered cross contamination.

Jen

Turtle Enthusiast

Thanks Jen H!

I thought about the "meal" and I too think it had to be cross contamination...if it's not the seasoning then it would have to be cross contamination...can't think of anything else it could be. FRUSTRATING none the less and not to mention miserably sick.

Archived