9 replies to this topic

#1 canadave

canadave

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:05 PM

Pizza Delight is a chain in Atlantic Canada (and perhaps elsewhere?). They just announced on their Facebook page that they are going to be offering a gluten-free dough option beginning on March 7. They also said that their staff will be trained on "allergy safety".

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cooki.dough

cooki.dough

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:33 PM

Pizza Delight is a chain in Atlantic Canada (and perhaps elsewhere?). They just announced on their Facebook page that they are going to be offering a gluten-free dough option beginning on March 7. They also said that their staff will be trained on "allergy safety".

As soon as I read this, I knew I had to try it. I got my cheese-free, but the crust is pretty good. Although they could be a little more generous with their toppings...

#3 Neali

Neali

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:57 AM

Great news!

Anyone tried this yet then?

As soon as I can I am going to find out where is our nearest and check it out, so I can come back and let you know :-)

#4 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:56 PM

Just wondering what your opinions were on the Pizza Delight gluten free pizza? Anyone ask about cross contamination issues in the kitchen?
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#5 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:22 AM

So I went into Pizza Delight and asked about the preparation of the gluten free pizza in the kitchen. They said that they don't use a separate area and they use the same oven.
Carrie Faith

#6 ElseB

ElseB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:16 PM

Hmmmmm, just like Pizza Pizza, Boston Pizza and all the others, I'll stay as far away as possible from their supposed "gluten free" pizza. The crust may start out gluten-free, but the finished product is far from it. Ever noticed how flour from the regular crust gets transferred into those little containers of toppings?

#7 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:10 PM

Hi, Carrie,

I have had the Pizza Pizza and the Boston Pizza offerings more than once. They use the same oven, but have separate pans and utensils to deal with the gluten-free crusts. There is always a chance of cross contamination at any restaurant, but they do take the effort to minimize the risk.

The Canadian Celiac Association worked closely with Pizza Pizza to develop their handling processes, and endorsed them. They were the first fast food pizza chain in Ontario with gluten-free pizza.

I have no experience with Pizza Delight as there are none near me.

In the Toronto area, local chain Il Fornello offer gluten-free pizza, and I have been there many, many times in the eleven years that I have been gluten-free. Again, they use the same oven, but have procedures in place to reduce cc risk.

A dedicated oven is really too much to expect. Dedicated pans and utensils combined with good handling practices should be sufficient for all but the most sensitive of us. It is a restaurant, not a gluten-free manufacturing facility. There is always a risk of cross contamination at a restaurant -- this applies to all restaurants. All have shared facilities and shared equipment.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:46 AM

Thanks for the replies. I've had the gluten free pizza at Boston Pizza many times and was happy with their handling process and I have never got sick. And I will react to small amounts of contamination. I only had one bad experience at Boston Pizza when the waitress didn't hear that I ordered a gluten free and brought me a regular pizza. They were apologetic and made a gluten free pizza. I agree that a dedicated oven is a lot to expect. Regarding Pizza Delight, I really wanted to try their pizza and I expected a similar procedure to Boston Pizza. Maybe the lady I spoke to didn't know or didn't know how to explain their handling process, but she said that the gluten free pizza's were prepared in the same area as the others with no mention of a cleaned area or cleaned utensils. That concerns me, but maybe the lady I spoke to just didn't know?
Carrie Faith

#9 jonrwebb

jonrwebb

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:56 AM

Just an FYI. I went to a Pizza Delight here in Saint John, NB and I found the gluten free pizza to be very good. The only issue I found was that the staff was not very knowledgeable. I asked about the sauce and what meats I could add that were Gluten-Free and they had no clue. I decided to go with a the hawaiian. No ill effects. Sauce was a little boring. The crust was great. It's a round pizza and very thin. It came in a 12 inch only size. If you plan to share, you may want to order two as one is good for about one person, two if you both have small appetites.

Cheers!

#10 ajnemajrje

ajnemajrje

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:47 AM

I have tried a few Gluten Free pizzas and so far they have all been okay but not the best. The majority of them are drier and denser than the regular and to combat that you need extra cheese or extra sauce in order to kind of recreate the texture of regular crust pizza.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: