14 replies to this topic

#1 K8ling

K8ling

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:46 AM

Ok, my hormones are in HYPERDRIVE and I need some Burrito BADLY!!! Specifically, I want a Triple Lindy from Moes with chipotle sauce and salsa verde...

What can eat as a solution that will make my baby happy and NOT land me in the hospital?
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:56 AM

I don't know what that is, but can you go there (if it's a restaurant) and get everything but the outside?
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#3 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:57 AM

Why couldn't you make your own burritos? Or get a burrito bowl from chipotle and use a gluten free wrap.

#4 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:10 AM

It's not the same, but I usually make burrittos using corn tortillas. Since the only brown rice torillas I ever found (Food For Life) made me sick. I have heard that Trader Joes has gluten-free brown rice tortillas as well but I have never found them there. To make the burritos out of corn: Get all your ingredints ready. Cut up what needs to be cut up and heat up what needs to be warm--beans, meat, etc. Put enough oil to coat the bottom of a small frying pan. Let the oil heat up for a couple minutes on medium low. Put the corn tortilla in the oil and heat just a few seconds until warm, then flip it over. Pull it out and blot any extra oil with a paper towel. Then fill with filling and eat before the tortilla cools too much. When it cools it is more likely to break up. You can also heat tortillas in the microwave or the oven but they will tear more easily unless you fill them with meat/beans/cheese while still warm and put in the oven until cripsy. Top with salsa, sour cream, lettuce, etc after they cook.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#5 RideAllWays

RideAllWays

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:25 AM

GlutenFrieda makes a good microwave burrito

#6 kayo

kayo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:49 PM

Amy's makes a great gluten-free burrito. One with cheese and one without.
40 year old former foodie on a quest to feel better!

-IgE to oats and rye
-Diagnosed with Colitis via endoscopy/colonoscopy Oct '10
-Following FODMAP diet since June '10, Positve SIBO test, July '10
-Diagnosed non-celiac gluten intolerant June '10 (celiac in March '10, endocsocopy in Oct '10 shows no signs of celiac)
-Osteopenia June '10
-Gluten free since July '09 & Soy free since December '09
-Dairy free since '06
-IBS & Sjogren's diagnosed '05
-RA diagnosed as a toddler

#7 lynnelise

lynnelise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:24 AM

The GlutenFrieda burritos are the most like "real" burritos I have tasted. Very good!

I usually do burrito bowls. I pile them up with cheese, sour cream, and guacaomole...I don't even miss the tortillas!

#8 K8ling

K8ling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:51 AM

For some reason I want the tortilla ... if that makes sense? I think it's a textural thing. Being pregnant is WEIRD! LOL I'll pick up an Amy's one later today and hopefully that'll help with the craving.
Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

#9 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,237 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:28 AM

K8 - that baby sure wNts some crazy foods! He is going to come out wanting a pizza and Gatorade with a burrito for dessert! :)

I tried some tortills at a food show but haven't found them yet. I think the name was French Meadows or something similar. They are frozen.

When that baby starts wanting margritas, get some limade.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#10 K8ling

K8ling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:32 AM

mmmmmm limeade..... Oh goodness, see what you started? LOL

#11 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:47 AM

be careful with Amy's. A lot of us can't tolerate them

#12 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:00 AM

... I have heard that Trader Joes has gluten-free brown rice tortillas as well but I have never found them there. ...

You might have to ask at the store where they keep them. In one of my local stores they are kept on the bottom shelf of rack near the wine and meat cooler. not refrigerated though. Why, I don't know. Everywhere else I've been the tortillas are frozen or in a cooler. But these are just on a shelf in the middle of an isle with lots of other non-gluten-free things on it.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#13 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:21 AM

You might have to ask at the store where they keep them. In one of my local stores they are kept on the bottom shelf of rack near the wine and meat cooler. not refrigerated though. Why, I don't know. Everywhere else I've been the tortillas are frozen or in a cooler. But these are just on a shelf in the middle of an isle with lots of other non-gluten-free things on it.

Thanks, I will ask next time I go. My Trader Joes is tiny and always packed with people so I never bothered finding someone to ask.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#14 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:50 AM

There are a few different gluten free tortillas you can use - the ivory teff ones (I forget who makes them) came closest to a flour tortilla for a burrito for me. Good luck!!
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#15 K8ling

K8ling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:30 PM

I've been eating the Amys Tamales with no reaction, but then again being pregnant does mask some of my symptoms. I'll stick to only eating her to fulfill a craving :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: