78 replies to this topic

#1 aeraen

aeraen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:29 AM

I was thinking today that, I don't miss any particular food... I can, pretty much, make or adapt any food I liked before. But, what I really miss is CONVENIENCE.

In order to eat semi-normally, and with out spending a bundle, I have to cook my own and plan ahead. And I'm just tired of planning ahead. :angry:

Sometimes I just wish I could swing into McDonalds and get a burger, open a can of Campbell's soup and order a pizza.

My rant for the day is now concluded.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:40 AM

I miss spontaneity...the ability to grab something to eat wherever I am and not give it a second thought. On the other hand, I don't think I've ever eaten better at any time of my life. It sure does take planning but I'm pretty used to it now.

Yeah, and I do miss Campbell's cream soups...they used to be such a staple in my pantry (I know I can make my own but...)
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#3 hnybny91

hnybny91

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:13 PM

I found gluten free cream of chicken and cream of mushroom at Sprouts the other day - as well as gluten free creamy tomato soup.

I miss Cheez-its! They just came out with some amazing flavors too that I was hooked on when I figured out I can't eat gluten :(

#4 jenngolightly

jenngolightly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:33 PM

I miss fully participating in work functions. Today we had a university luncheon/lecture. They always have such great food and I feel so wimpy with my homemade lunch. What I bring is delicious, but watching all the people around me eat beautiful catered lunches makes me long for when I could just eat with the crowd and ooh and ah and savor the delicious desserts. I hate sitting at a large table with my friends (they're great) and strangers (boo - they always ask me why I'm eating my own food). I used to shy away from these events, but I've gotten good at them by now. But I still feel left out - just a little.
Jenn
dx celiac 9/2007: gluten-free 9/2007
corn intolerant: corn-free 5/2010
nut allergy: nut-free 8/2010

#5 Diane-in-FL

Diane-in-FL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:44 PM

Going to Pizza Hut. :(
Gluten Free since 2010

#6 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:50 PM

To freely walk into anywhere with my children and freely eat without worry. Bud-light, Paneras sandwiches really bad!! My daughter and I would eat there once or twice a month. Subway, Papa Johns cheese bread. A good bagel. My favorite mexican place and BBQ joint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#7 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:03 PM

I miss fully participating in work functions. Today we had a university luncheon/lecture. They always have such great food and I feel so wimpy with my homemade lunch. What I bring is delicious, but watching all the people around me eat beautiful catered lunches makes me long for when I could just eat with the crowd and ooh and ah and savor the delicious desserts. I hate sitting at a large table with my friends (they're great) and strangers (boo - they always ask me why I'm eating my own food). I used to shy away from these events, but I've gotten good at them by now. But I still feel left out - just a little.

I miss this as well! Work is a difficult place, on teacher workdays they go to places without gluten-free menus. We also have a cookout that I'm trying to think of a safe way of having it. I do feel somewhat left out when I cannot eat what they are. Any treats that are supplied for staff are always gluten loaded.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#8 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:13 PM

What I miss the most is the convenience.Although I do miss chewing gum and mayo. :P

I have to agree with Sylvia , I dont think I have ever eaten better/healthier than I do now.

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#9 hnybny91

hnybny91

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:53 PM

What I miss the most is the convenience.Although I do miss chewing gum and mayo. :P

I have to agree with Sylvia , I dont think I have ever eaten better/healthier than I do now.

I chew Spry gum and it is gluten free. It does have xylitol so if you are corn sensitive it won't work.

#10 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

I miss picking up fried chicken on Friday night on my way home from work.

I miss being able to eat out without having to talk so much about my food in order for it to be safe.

I miss springing for pizza for my son and his friends. He is gluten free now too.

His list would be longer!
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#11 yorkieluv

yorkieluv

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:35 PM

I miss not having to think about every single thing I am going to eat. But I really miss Krispy Kreme doughnuts!

#12 Salax

Salax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:37 PM

Of anything I miss a good thick pizza crust. I hate the gluten free crusts that always seem like a cracker. Oh and a fresh hot donut. Although, there are alternatives to those. Oh and good fresh mexican food, soft flour tacos..yumie. dang gluten....

Hmmm, what to cook for dinner. :P

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

#13 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:55 PM

At this point, about a year in, I really don't miss the foods. But I agree. THE CONVENIENCE. Oy.

#14 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:59 PM

I'm a caregiver to a disabled family member, you darn well better bet that I miss CONVENIENCE the most!!

I dislike that the only things I can get at Wendy's is the chili, baked potato, and *maybe* a side salad (and since i seem to have problems w/ fructose, even the chili or salad can be problematic for me)...

I dislike that I now have to go to at least 3-4 different grocery stores in order to get all the food items I need...

But I'm also thankful that I've gotten to learn new things, eat new things, meet new people, and do something proactive towards my health, and that I have a supportive husband :)...
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

#15 TB4me2000

TB4me2000

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:29 PM

I have the weirdest craving for Goldfish. And sometimes I just really want a Famous Amos Choc. Chip Cookie. Flour tortillas. The option of eating normal French bread or going out for (shocker) a sandwich made on normal bread. And eating at any restaurant I want without worrying about a gluten-free menu or CC.

But mostly the Goldfish :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: