This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Do You Miss?

aeraen

aeraen Apprentice

I was thinking today that, I don't miss any particular food... I can, pretty much, make or adapt any food I liked before. But, what I really miss is CONVENIENCE.

In order to eat semi-normally, and with out spending a bundle, I have to cook my own and plan ahead. And I'm just tired of planning ahead. :angry:

Sometimes I just wish I could swing into McDonalds and get a burger, open a can of Campbell's soup and order a pizza.

My rant for the day is now concluded.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sa1937 Community Regular

I miss spontaneity...the ability to grab something to eat wherever I am and not give it a second thought. On the other hand, I don't think I've ever eaten better at any time of my life. It sure does take planning but I'm pretty used to it now.

Yeah, and I do miss Campbell's cream soups...they used to be such a staple in my pantry (I know I can make my own but...)

hnybny91 Rookie

I found gluten free cream of chicken and cream of mushroom at Sprouts the other day - as well as gluten free creamy tomato soup.

I miss Cheez-its! They just came out with some amazing flavors too that I was hooked on when I figured out I can't eat gluten :(

jenngolightly Contributor

I miss fully participating in work functions. Today we had a university luncheon/lecture. They always have such great food and I feel so wimpy with my homemade lunch. What I bring is delicious, but watching all the people around me eat beautiful catered lunches makes me long for when I could just eat with the crowd and ooh and ah and savor the delicious desserts. I hate sitting at a large table with my friends (they're great) and strangers (boo - they always ask me why I'm eating my own food). I used to shy away from these events, but I've gotten good at them by now. But I still feel left out - just a little.

Diane-in-FL Explorer

Going to Pizza Hut. :(

CarolinaKip Community Regular

To freely walk into anywhere with my children and freely eat without worry. Bud-light, Paneras sandwiches really bad!! My daughter and I would eat there once or twice a month. Subway, Papa Johns cheese bread. A good bagel. My favorite mexican place and BBQ joint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I miss fully participating in work functions. Today we had a university luncheon/lecture. They always have such great food and I feel so wimpy with my homemade lunch. What I bring is delicious, but watching all the people around me eat beautiful catered lunches makes me long for when I could just eat with the crowd and ooh and ah and savor the delicious desserts. I hate sitting at a large table with my friends (they're great) and strangers (boo - they always ask me why I'm eating my own food). I used to shy away from these events, but I've gotten good at them by now. But I still feel left out - just a little.

I miss this as well! Work is a difficult place, on teacher workdays they go to places without gluten-free menus. We also have a cookout that I'm trying to think of a safe way of having it. I do feel somewhat left out when I cannot eat what they are. Any treats that are supplied for staff are always gluten loaded.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cahill Collaborator

What I miss the most is the convenience.Although I do miss chewing gum and mayo. :P

I have to agree with Sylvia , I dont think I have ever eaten better/healthier than I do now.

hnybny91 Rookie

What I miss the most is the convenience.Although I do miss chewing gum and mayo. :P

I have to agree with Sylvia , I dont think I have ever eaten better/healthier than I do now.

I chew Spry gum and it is gluten free. It does have xylitol so if you are corn sensitive it won't work.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I miss picking up fried chicken on Friday night on my way home from work.

I miss being able to eat out without having to talk so much about my food in order for it to be safe.

I miss springing for pizza for my son and his friends. He is gluten free now too.

His list would be longer!

yorkieluv Newbie

I miss not having to think about every single thing I am going to eat. But I really miss Krispy Kreme doughnuts!

Salax Contributor

Of anything I miss a good thick pizza crust. I hate the gluten free crusts that always seem like a cracker. Oh and a fresh hot donut. Although, there are alternatives to those. Oh and good fresh mexican food, soft flour tacos..yumie. dang gluten....

Hmmm, what to cook for dinner. :P

srall Contributor

At this point, about a year in, I really don't miss the foods. But I agree. THE CONVENIENCE. Oy.

wheeleezdryver Community Regular

I'm a caregiver to a disabled family member, you darn well better bet that I miss CONVENIENCE the most!!

I dislike that the only things I can get at Wendy's is the chili, baked potato, and *maybe* a side salad (and since i seem to have problems w/ fructose, even the chili or salad can be problematic for me)...

I dislike that I now have to go to at least 3-4 different grocery stores in order to get all the food items I need...

But I'm also thankful that I've gotten to learn new things, eat new things, meet new people, and do something proactive towards my health, and that I have a supportive husband :)...

TB4me2000 Newbie

I have the weirdest craving for Goldfish. And sometimes I just really want a Famous Amos Choc. Chip Cookie. Flour tortillas. The option of eating normal French bread or going out for (shocker) a sandwich made on normal bread. And eating at any restaurant I want without worrying about a gluten-free menu or CC.

But mostly the Goldfish :P

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Pizza, Pizza & more Pizza! I used to have all my local Pizza places stored in my cell phone. :P It was my fast go to meal since I was always busy. And Oh yeah- Pizza Hut was one of my favorites! :D But, pizza is just not the same for me anymore. I don't like the gluten free crust either, but I don't have the same craving for it like I used to....It's weird. I think I'm just used to eating so much healthier now & my body is now absorbing nutrients, that my food craving have changed a lot. But I still crave ice cream! I'm so thankful I can still have milk products! :D

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

Of anything I miss a good thick pizza crust. I hate the gluten free crusts that always seem like a cracker. Oh and a fresh hot donut. Although, there are alternatives to those. Oh and good fresh mexican food, soft flour tacos..yumie. dang gluten....

Hmmm, what to cook for dinner. :P

Salax,

I have an amazing gluten-free donut recipe that is pretty easy to make, kind of fun to make, and that can take you from craving a donut to never wanting to see another one again because you ate so many your stomach hurts in one hour! It does take buttermilk though...do have an alternative for milk in your OK list of foods?

luvs2eat Collaborator

What DON'T I miss??

I miss Subway tuna hoagies

I miss stuffed crust Pizza Hut Pizza

I miss Burger King's bacon double cheeseburger...

... and McDonald's double cheeseburger and Big Macs

I miss REAL french bread

I miss ice cream sandwiches and Carvel cakes w/ cookie crumbles as the middle

I miss Girl Scout cookies

I miss Tasty Cakes

I miss Olive Garden

I miss all the fair food I used to enjoy

I miss Rice Krispie treats w/o having to buy really expensive cereal

I miss being able to order anything from any menu w/o dire consequences

I've never tasted:

A Krispie Kreme donut

Anything from Panera

A panini sandwich

Lots of things I can't remember at the moment

I've been gluten-free for nearly 10 years, but every once in a while... I'm really nostalgic for the stuff I can't have anymore.

cassP Contributor

What DON'T I miss??

I miss Subway tuna hoagies

I miss stuffed crust Pizza Hut Pizza

I miss Burger King's bacon double cheeseburger...

... and McDonald's double cheeseburger and Big Macs

I miss REAL french bread

I miss ice cream sandwiches and Carvel cakes w/ cookie crumbles as the middle

I miss Girl Scout cookies

I miss Tasty Cakes

I miss Olive Garden

I miss all the fair food I used to enjoy

I miss Rice Krispie treats w/o having to buy really expensive cereal

I miss being able to order anything from any menu w/o dire consequences

I've never tasted:

A Krispie Kreme donut

Anything from Panera

A panini sandwich

Lots of things I can't remember at the moment

I've been gluten-free for nearly 10 years, but every once in a while... I'm really nostalgic for the stuff I can't have anymore.

OMG!! you've never had a Krispie Kreme????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! omg i miss those so so so so so much :((((((( i used to buy a dozen and just go on a binge :(

panini's are actually something u can recreate at home with gluten free bread- and have it taste pretty good.

ohhhhhh Krispie Kreme :(

T.H. Community Regular

Convenience - oh goodness yes do I miss that!

But I think I miss the spontaneity more. I used to love to go out with the kids and we'd just visit friends, pick places to go on a whim, and so on. Now, I always have to wonder if we have enough food to last for as long as we'd be out, where to eat, and think ahead by a fair while to make sure we can eat safely wherever we may be going.

Yeah, I miss NOT having to do all that.

Foods - I kind of wish I could eat baklava, again. Most of the rest, I'm good.

lynnelise Apprentice

I can usually find a gluten free replacement for anything I crave. I guess phyllo dough and croissants are the only thing I really miss. I've seen recipes for both but the finished products didn't really look worth all the effort that went into it!

I'd say the worst is finding safe restaurants. Especially when traveling. So far I've had good luck because we tend to travel to areas with gluten-free awareness like D.C., Baltimore, and Charlotte. This Spring we are planning a trip to Gatlinburg and I don't see a lot of exciting options. I just always used traveling as an opportunity to try new things and it kind of sucks to be out of town and eat at a chain restaurant because they have a gluten-free menu but I guess we have to do what we have to do.

Salax Contributor

Salax,

I have an amazing gluten-free donut recipe that is pretty easy to make, kind of fun to make, and that can take you from craving a donut to never wanting to see another one again because you ate so many your stomach hurts in one hour! It does take buttermilk though...do have an alternative for milk in your OK list of foods?

Milk is ok for me in small quanities (thank goodness for that, I missed cheese an milk for so long!) or I can use almond milk if it would work. So, yes...I would like the recipe. :D Thank you!!

horseshoe Newbie

There are many things I miss eating (my dad's homemade pizza is currently top of the list) but I really think I miss having the option of eating something at a party or a dinner or what-have-you if I wanted. I'm use to taking my own stuff around with me in a cooler but now that there isn't even the option of having something if I wanted... I really miss the choice.

Gfreeatx Apprentice

Pizza definitely! For some reason Auntie Anne's pretzels get me everytime I walk by in the mall...sigh. Anyone else dream about eating gluten? Since I was diagnosed I dream about eating things I shouldn't and it seems so real I start getting upset thinking I shouldn't be eating this!! :)

healinginprogress Enthusiast

@loves2eat, I've never had a Krispi Kreme donut, either...I live in Canada, and RANDOMLY they had them at work a few days after I went gluten-free..seriously, people! LOL I did not give in to temptation...I tend to prefer savory anyhow.

As everyone else, I definitely miss convenience. What I was just thinking to myself as I was eating my apple and thinking I would love some raisins....Is that I miss the BULK SECTION!!! It's so much cheaper and...good LOL

I miss being NOT A PICKY EATER! I always made a point of not being picky.

But as for specific foods...I definitely miss sandwiches.

Archived